Living and running a business in Marrakech

Could anyone please help by giving their advice to running a business in Marrakech.  Any successes, or scare stories greatly appreciated as its hard to find anything on the net.  Im thinking of renting a riad to have as a guest house, with also a cookery school.  May be looking for a business partner also.  I am a qualified and experienced Teacher. I have visited Morocco 3 times and traveled all over.

Kind regards

Deborah

Hello dear friend,
I am not from Marrakech.I am from a city called kenitra,I am an English literature student,and I also teach as part time,and I love the fine Art and theater.

Let me tell you something. When people think of running a business, they always think of big cities.
For Marrakech, there is this kind of hard competition when it comes to business.
As an advice, try to look up for small cities in Morocco. because they are going to be very good for you to start any kind of business and also you will get famous very fast if you see what I mean..
If you need any more clarifications, please contact me at : [email protected]
Best regards,
Driss

Thanks Driss much appreciated. I may email you. It's true there is lots of competition, but isn't there also far more visitors than other small towns and villages?  Are there international visitors in your town. I know the British tend to head to Marrakech due to flight paths. 
Kind regards

Deborah

For my city, it is far about 20 minutes by train from Rabat, which is the capital of Morocco. We don't have many tourists here compared to other Moroccan cities.
I just want to let you know that you should never think that international visitors can spend money more than the Moroccan visitors, especially after the world financial crises.
For that let me tell you a story, which is a real one.
One day I was in Marrakech with a Canadian friend of mine. We were in a taxi. So I had this conversation with the taxi driver about life in general in Marrakech.
And the guy starts telling me that the Moroccans who come to Marrakech spend more Money then foreigners. And he went on details explain to me how.
In general, if you are planning to run a business related to the tourist erea.you should put in mind the internal tourists (the Moroccans)
I also think that if you run a business related to teaching English or languages would be great in Morocco, because many people are interested on learning English here.
Simply because of the Moroccan location.
Morocco is influenced by the European culture from the north and also included by the US culture from the west. That's why I want you to do more researches not only about Marrakech but about Morocco in general that is if you really want to be successful in any business you want to do in this country.

If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer you!
Best wishes,

Driss

Thanks Driss. Much appreciated. My friend is thinking of doing her tefl course so maybe that would come in useful. I will certainly look into this more. Just heard that quite a few French riads are going out of business in the medina of marrakesh. Deborah

I dont know how its works this web site???

How to downald pictures, change profil,,,ect.

lol. i'm new here.

hey deborah ,

Do send me your proposal , i might have my company interested. We are investors and invest in properties usually , however we could consider your idea after we analyze it
Im heading to marakech on may to open a firm there

Hey,

it is easy to open Business in Morocco you mean???

Salam

Hello There
  It is true that Marrakesh is full of Riads and land is so expensive there. It is also an international and first touristic city in Morocco. Why dont you try Taroudant which is also called " Little Marrakesh ". Many Riads have been recently set up in Taroudant and most of them are run by French people.And Taroudant is 80 kms far from Agadir knwon 4 its lovely beach.for more , email me at : [email protected]

Many guesthouses are currently being shut down as they have not had licenses. It is not a mattr of buying a house and opening the doors. The process is very slow. Think this through carefuly.

ok hello what about raid now all people has  invest in that  issues model . and there hunderds of riads. plus the a lot of english school and private school.
but  the south east of moroco still open for many wonderful experience of business  that need starting eaith in tourisme or agriculture especialy in high quality of palm date or natural herb therapy. and me as guide for tourist in the desert treking this also has a huge rent especily from the mounth to  spetembre untill may.
for more iformation you can email  me
and i can gave a thousand of ideas  that will be useful good willing
. truelly i m searching for partner from outside of moroco to deal with
salam
[email protected]

Hi Deborah,

I'm actually looking for a riad at the moment for my business and would be intereted in getting in touch.  I run an adventure company here and maybe we could share ideas.  My email is [email protected]

Andy

Amazing.Andy.Robertson wrote:

Hi Deborah,

I'm actually looking for a riad at the moment for my business and would be intereted in getting in touch.  I run an adventure company here and maybe we could share ideas.  My email is [email protected]

Andy

Hi Andy and Deborah
I would love to know how you have both got on.
Have you found and opened your riad yet?
I have just rented a small hotel on a beach near Agadir and I am in the process of getting it ready to open ( which will be soon I hope!) I can't say I have much experience yet but I would also be interested in keeping in touch to share ideas.

flo

[Moderated: please post in classifieds]

[large][b]if u ar planing to mak bussnise in morocco  try  somwhere els and not in marakch cous in marakch the prix of the houss very expensive and also try w asila or maknes or kenitra  thos just exmple u can found good prix there to starte ur bussnise  and the best bussnise its if u mak school langoug here u will   mak good moenny  if u want u can add m [email protected][/b][/large][large][/large]

you can actually make you dream come true ,Marrakesh is a the most beautiful city in Morocco,you might be successful in you can be attached to a Moroccan guy heheh that will be easy for you to get it done just an idea :)

Now I am working in SEOUL, Korea hope to retun back to UAE for new work assignment. To my surprise I feel that MARRAKECH, Morocco is one of the greatest secrets in the WORLD when it comes to travelling, culture, advanture & living. Truely from my first visits back in 1990 I simply FELL IN LOVE with this location. I been all around Morocco North to South, BIG CITIES LIKE CASABLANCA or RABAT too much of everthing and less common sense. JUST I find the heart of the true locals in Marrakech of higher quality.

I want to start a business in Marrakech that can serve the expat & local Moroccain travelers. I aslo focus on Professional Photo services, Movies Shoots & Entertainment Events. Even I can teach english and manage many types of business. Sporting Event and other talent displays can be easy.

Hi Deborah,
I know that this forum dates back to 2010 but I've only just seen it. Anyway, if you're still in Marrakesh and looking for a business idea I have one. I'm seriously thinking of opening an English school and will probably be needing a partner. I'm also a teacher by the way. I don't know if you'll read this but here's my phone number: 06 5993 1478
Look forward to hearing from you enchallah!
Tom

I'm from Morocco and living in Orlando,Florida since 1985.I worked for Walt Disney World and Universal Studios.
I'm moving back to Marrakech, Morocco this month and i'm looking for a job there. If anyone out there likes to contact me my email address is muphassa1athotmail.com
Mustapha.

Hi I am interested in all your postings, any headway with the Riad Deborah? And the language school idea? I am recently retired from the UK, looking to set up in Morocco

Hi Drissmaroc,

Please note that this thread is dated 2010 :)

Feel free to start a new topic with all your questions on the Marrakech Forum for better visibility

Thank you

Maximilien

hi i am from uk but born in africa i have visted marrakech 40 times and love it there i am looking to design any new venue in marrakech i really want to proof my talent but dont know how to contact a firm there if any one can make my dream come true thank you..my mail is
sonjay{at}gmail.com thnx..

Hi I am considering starting up a business in Marrakech with a Moroccan colleague. I only want to stay a few weeks or months at a time then come back to England as I have another business and home here. How long can you stay in Marrakech at a time  without a visa? Also how easy is it to get one? I heard it is hard to set up a business in Morocco if they think you are doing something a Moroccan person could do. But I intend to bring unique skills but offer local employment. I think the people are wonderful and love the city but what is the true experience of working over there? I totally respect the religion.
Also I want the company British Registered and a Ltd company for our investor - is this appropriate for the Moroccan law
All guidance is really welcome thank you

Why not put all your skills down as people often don't even understand what you do? Love to know

Hi how did you get on really interested as just joined this site? I love the Riad's coming over soon and hey if you have one could come and say hi!

###

it seems a good idea nd i think u have nothing to be scared of ,good luck :)

hi dear im a morocain girl nd it depends on the buisness local people are nice nd u have nothing to be scared of i know many people from forein contries nd they are happy with life here nd its also cheap  , good luck :)

ok

May i know your profession ?

@ Romeodak > To whom are you speaking to please?

Priscilla
Expat.com team

(Moderated: Please register in the Marrakech business directory)

Hi,

Can you give me more details on the business,what is the capital needed?

@ rzyoud > To whom are you talking to please? Do note that this thread is old (2010)  :whistle:

If you are here looking for some partners, the best section that i can advise you is here : https://www.expat.com/en/classifieds/af … tners.html

Thank you,

Priscilla  :cheers:

god luck

Hi there
Me and my partner are looking Ito establishing a business here - a cafe and surf shop. We have the building already through family however will be fitting it out and running it ourselves. We are still 18 months off doing it - if at all. I was wondering if you went ahead with it and if yes if your able to tell me what kind do expenses you needed to establish it?

The thread was posted nearly 5 years ago.

Knitz9 wrote:

Hi there
Me and my partner are looking Ito establishing a business here - a cafe and surf shop. We have the building already through family however will be fitting it out and running it ourselves. We are still 18 months off doing it - if at all. I was wondering if you went ahead with it and if yes if your able to tell me what kind do expenses you needed to establish it?

Moreover a surf shop in Marrakech?

Exactly 5 years ago and if she went through with it she would have an abundance if advice and figures that she needed to establish the business and get it running smoothly.

Taghazout in morroco for surf shop.

OK.

Good luck.