Thinking of travelling to karachi- European girl????

Hey hope you are doing good,well talking about pakistan leme tell you everything is ok in our country though our international media is portraying us all as terorists it is a beautiful country with all the blessings of nature and yes coming to your question first of all if he's your internet friend then be sure you are not being fooled secondly coming to pakistan now a day would not be good as we are facing political.instability no one never know what happens to our country.stay blessed

In which area he lives? Except some areas khi is safe

He lives in the Garden West area :) So you wouldnt recommend to go at all? i wouldn't be alone, i would be with a local family. Still you wouldn't reccommend?

It's a safe area :) u can come here.welcome in advance :D

yea he did say it was a safe area i just wanted to be sure :) Snf110 do you live in Karachi?

yes frind

Yup m from khi :)

How is the situation in karachi now :)

It's nice weather here, 14 August our indep. Day so every where people buying flags and many more, so it's good, when will u come?

hi @lily30, are u white and married into Pakistani family?

Hello, if you are coming to Karachi .i can be your friend......aftab

yes i am white but im not married :)

Hello Lily, Welcome to the EB,

If you are planning to visit Karachi, I would advise that you avoid the period of 14 th - 15 th August since two major political parties have given a call for strike and the whole country will be on a stand still.

The city is generally safe. Garden borders with Layari which is a notorious area for gang wars therefore I would avoid this particular location.

What is the purpose and the duration of your visit? if you could mention this , I will be able to able to give you specific advise.

Good luck with your plans :)

Is the purpose of your journey is just tourism and sight seeing?

The purpose is to visit my friend and his family and they live in the Garden west area so i wouldn't be able to avoid it generally as i would stay with them :) I would be coming for 2 weeks :)

so your journey is not necessity?

What do u mean :) Do you think its not safe to go?
Idk if its a necessity or not but the reason i would go to visit him is because it would be very difficult or nearly impossible for him to get a visa to visit me :)

It's safe here in khi it's near saddar

hmm u are saying its safe in karachi but u asked a question on how u can move from there bcoz ur husband was shot? so how can it be safe :)

He got shot cz of the shiagenocide in Pakistan specially happening in khi.even my husbands brother died cz of this killing on the religion basis. That's the reason I wanna move but still didn't get any chance

Hello Lily,

Sorry I missed out on most of the conversation, I just returned home from work.

If you can not avoid garden area, it is okay, it is not all that bad. Do you know the family where you are going or you just met them on the net?

In case you do not know them well, you may still visit them, I suggest you inform the UK high commission and stay in touch with them on twice daily basis.

Regarding the safety and security issue, you must not worry, Karachi is a safe city for a common man. Do keep us posted on your travel plans.

Thanks,

Yes I will stay in touch :)

Do you have any tips about Karachi and someone told me I should keep a low profile :) how would I do that?

Yes but it is better but , it all depends where you are you residing, whats your occupation your social status etc.
Other wise people live in huge villas travel in Mercedes or BMW s.

Lily,

Please follow the following thread, this will give you some idea of keeping a low and a safe profile:

a) Keep your front gate and door locked.

b) Keep an inexpensive mobile phone and not a lot of money on you at all times. Do wear imitation jewelry.

c) Travel in groups, never travel alone.

d) Dressed like a Pakistani for both males and females.

e) Keep looking around while traveling , in a car or a taxi, ensure no one is following you.

f) There are many cases of robbery out side ATMs and banks, do not deal in cash, use cheques and credit cards, use ATM machines in side shopping malls.

g) Do not let strangers know that you are from out side Pakistan and you do not know Urdu. Dress up and put make up on very modestly, for females wear ABAYA.

f) If you are accompanied by an armed guard, this would reduce your risk by 99.99 %, an armed guard costs around  USD 150 for 12 hours..per month.

g) Keep arms with licence but you need to be trained to use it too.

h) Live and work in areas covered by CCTV systems eg Defence, Clifton and KDA scheme .

i) Keep your wallet/ purse and mobile in your hand, it will disappear from your pocket and Jeans or hand bag.without you even sensing any thing.

j) Your servants, drivers etc are responsible for 90 % of the thefts and break ins.

k) Live in compounds or large flats projects eg Askari 1, 2 3 4. join major clubs for socializing and fitness.

l) There are major security companies ( I can give you names and nos) who provide round the clock alarm system to your house or flat , they will respond with in minutes in case some body tries to break in, open door or window. hire their service , they cost 1500 to 1800 Rupees pm.

j) Keep a hand grenade in your pocket and learn how to remove its pin in order to explode it.  :dumbom:  Joke

Wow do I really need all that? That seems extreme. I would be staying at my friends apartment and I wouldnt be going outside alot :) Im guessing people would know by how I look that im foreign :)

I don't think you need to be worried. Karachi is a metropolitan city and has crimes as any other metropolitan in the world. So, be careful as you would in any other part of the world. Your friend will help you out with any extra precautionary measures if required.

Lily,

tansari is right, jokes apart, once you are here you will be laughing at how much worried you were unnecessarily.

You will find a few places very crowded and traffic you have never seen in any part of the world, other than that it is a lovely place.

most important point is that you will have the company of local hosts who would take care of all the normal precautions.

Have a lovely time in Pakistan :)

hey liliy ... I am from Karachi and from defence area . Its a peacful place to live and hustle free .. Let me know your plans . i am sheraz