Registering a birth in Romania

Hi,

About to have a baby or already had children? Let's share your experience about the paperworks for registering a birth in Romania.

What are the formalities to obtain a birth certificate?

What is the procedure to follow if both parents are of the same nationality or for a mixed couple?

Thank you in advance for participating,

David

Instead of writing it all down: I advise everyone to have a look at the following link (use Google Translate for a translation in the language of your choice)

http://www.copilul.ro/nastere/maternita … -a640.html

or

http://www.starecivila1.ro/inregistrare-nastere/

In case of 2 foreign citizens, those children will not need to be registered at the Romanian authorities (as the Romanian authorities would only release a birth certificate if one of the parents is Romanian). In case of 2 foreign parents, you use the document issued by the hospital (proof of birth) and have this translated/legalised and submitted to your own embassy which will then have their own procedure of issuing a birth certificate.

In case one of the parents is Romanian, the child will be Romanian at birth (and can also have the nationality of the other parent, depending on the laws of such other country).

When my daughter was born i did actually find it quite easy to register her birth here in Romania.

The day after her birth i was given the document from the hostpital, i then took this to the official office in Bucharest to register the birth, i did have to get a translation of my own birth certificate for this but this was all simple and easy enough, i also remember getting the document almost straight away, although i did have help from my Romanian mother in law.

I am English and my wife Romanian, thus my daughter can have dual nationality, although i have never registered her birth in England, doing that at the embassy seems to me to be a hassle and not so easy as it is the Romanian version (typically British).

Hi  all,

Thank you for your contribution, these might surely help. Thank you! :)

Regards,

David.

Expat-blog team.

I used this forum to get information, so want to thank the original posters.  I thought it would be useful to add details of my experience as well.

My wife and I are both British nationals, but our son was born in Bucharest as we are living here for work.  We do not yet have Romanian residency (i.e. we don't have a CNP) so our passports are our main identifying documents.

Due to my son needing to spend a week in the ICU, and then us needing to wait for documents to arrive from the UK, we weren't in a position to register his birth until after the 15-day limit set by the Romanian authorities.

To register his birth we needed:

* an original copy of our marriage certificate from the General Registry Office in the UK
* an apostile on the wedding certificate (this involved sending the marriage certificate to the FCO in Milton Keynes who attached the apostile and stamped it)
* a notarised translation of the marriage certificate and apostile (we took the marriage certificate with apostile to a translator in Bucharest to translate and notarise the document in Romanian)
* notarised translations of both of our passports
* the 'live birth' certificate obtained from the hospital - they gave this to us without us needing to ask
* photocopies of all of the above

Our son was born in Sector 1 of Bucharest, so I went to the appropriate registration office.  Fortunately the HR director from my work accompanied me to act as translator, but the process is quite straightforward and so you could probably manage to do it even if you don't speak Romanian.  I needed to fill out an extended declaration to explain why I was registering the birth after the 15 day deadline, on which we wrote that the delay was due to waiting for documents to arrive from the UK.  This was accepted without any complaints, and I didn't get charged a fine.  If you register within the 15 days you just fill out a shorter declaration.

The registrar took the copies of my documents, filled in some paperwork, and gave me a small receipt to come back another day to collect the completed birth certificate.  Collection was very straightforward - hand over the receipt, show my passport as ID, and sign the registry.  DONE!

Thank you for sharing eddybennet  :top:

Armand
Expat.com Team

Hi
My name is moin from Pakistan and my wife she is from Romania I just want to ask you one thing we get birth certificate from UK if my wife travel to Romania so how long they will it will takes does all this registration matter don by council or other departments also involves .

moinmarcela wrote:

Hi
My name is moin from Pakistan and my wife she is from Romania I just want to ask you one thing we get birth certificate from UK if my wife travel to Romania so how long they will it will takes does all this registration matter don by council or other departments also involves .

It takes between 30-60 days

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

I am an American citizen. My fiancé is Romanian. I will be giving birth to our daughter in the USA and will travel with her to Romania to visit my fiancé's family when she's about 3 months old. At that time, I'd like to register her as a Romanian citizen. What information do I need for myself, my fiancé and our daughter to accomplish this?

Hi! Check out this website: https://washington.mae.ro/node/280. It's the Romanian version, as I was unable to find the English one quickly, but this shouldn't be a problem :).

Excellent! Thank you. I have my fiancé translating as Google Chrome didn't do a great job. :)

I would like to share my experience. We didn't managed to register my baby right away because my Marriage certificate's surname and passport are different since I got married here in Romania. I had to changey my passport first into my husband's surname and after getting my new passport I also changed my residence ID to have all in my husband's surname.

We are not yet married and I will not be taking my fiancé's surname once we do get married as we have the same first name and it would create too much confusion. Do you think this will pose a problem registering our daughter's birth with the Romanian government?

I realize this is a long-shot, as this post is several years old. However, I'm wondering if you, or anyone else has any knowledge about how long this process takes? Online on the Sec. 1 website, it says up to 3 months. I'm assuming there really isn't a way to get updates and that you just have to be patient...but thought i'd ask anyway.

I applied here from the states and am waiting for my "new" Romanian birth certificate to be registered, that I'm given a number and that it is sent back here to the states so I can go ahead and apply for my passport.

Any insight or suggestions would be great! Thank you!

We ended up applying while visiting Romania and it all happened the same day.

That's what's so frustrating...knowing that all of this can be done in a day but then it can take months if you're abroad. So glad it was easy for you! :) Do you know by chance if someone can pick it up for me by any chance? Or if by calling Sec. 1 they can check for updates on my "case?"

I'm a married filipina in philippines but separated. Can I register myself as the mother of my child with my romanian boyfriend as the father here in Romania?