Hungarian Citizenship/Passport

Hello everyone! I am from the U.S.A. and I have a question, if anyone could be of help, I would truly appreciate it!

My parents are both Hungarian citizens, as is my maternal grandmother, who still lives in Budapest (on Ilka utca). I have wanted to get my Hungarian citizenship and passport for a long time, but no matter how much I Google, I can't seem to find much other than "if one of the parents was a Hungarian citizen at the moment of birth, the child became Hungarian citizen." Now, I know that I am definitely eligible to become a citizen of Hungary, but I don't know HOW to do it! Usually there are forms and all these things, but I have found absolutely nothing!

Could anyone lead me in the right direction, please? Thank you so much! :top:

I can help you with that.
Ask Me !

So how can you help?

This is a question that has come up here before.

Contact the Hungarian Embassy.

There's a Consulate in New York.

Web site:

http://washington.kormany.hu/hungarian- … ip-general

It says everything you need to do there.

Hi,

We did this for our US-born daughter when returning home soon after her birth. Took about 2 years, mainly due to the incompetence of our local "anyakonyvi hivatal". (public records office maybe?) Should have started at the head office (kozponti anyakonyvi hivatal) instead.

You still live in the US, right?
You'll probably need to contact the embassy in DC then:
http://www.embassy-worldwide.com/embass … on-dc-usa/

This looks like another obvious starting point:
http://allampolgarsag.gov.hu/

I posted on another forum about this section, "simplified citizenship" and passport.  Let's just say it has been a bad horror movie so far, and my parents were also both born in Hungary.  Filled out my citizenship and passport application a year ago and still waiting for a response....sadly.  :sosad:

I've lived in Hungary for a total of nearly nine years now, in three spells. I've been married to a Hungarian citizen for twenty-five years and have two children, both of whom have UK passports as well as Hungarian citizenship. The youngest is a dependent, at primary school in Hungary. Of course, while Hungary is a member of the EU, my settlement, residency and employment rights are protected by European laws, though we ran into problems in France ten years ago because of supposed 'derogation' of immigration requirements for citizens of new EU members (my wife didn't/ doesn't have UK subject status). I remember the work permit requirements which applied in Hungary in the 1990s, and have no desire to get involved in tangled and costly bureaucracy (both in money and time) here if it's not necessary. However, if Hungary and/or the UK withdraw from the EU in 2015, I am concerned that I might lose my rights to residency, at present ultimately guaranteed by my marriage. I don't know what the language requirements are like, but my Hungarian is probably at B2 level overall. Should I think about applying for naturalisation?

HungaryDragon wrote:

..... I am concerned that I might lose my rights to residency, at present ultimately guaranteed by my marriage. I don't know what the language requirements are like, but my Hungarian is probably at B2 level overall. Should I think about applying for naturalisation?

Tell me about it.  The UK plans to depart the EU is causing us concerns too. We've got two kids in school, both dual nationals and my wife of 20 years is a HU citizen. We're worried about going back to the nonsense with her getting grilled and interrogated each time she goes past the passports in the UK.  I don't really support leaving the EU but I do support massive reform of that bloated interfering bureaucracy.  I am also wondering how it'll work with EU wide visas inbound to some countries (i.e. if you are an EU citizen, you can get visa exemptions to a lot of countries - the EU has negotiated a block exemption).

You'd probably pass the language test. But maybe just put it off until the EU referendum result is known.