Omani Driving License

Dear Daustan   ,
Hello to Daustan

Do you know any one reasonable driving instructor for training. Kindly share with me his number so I start learning.
I got learner license with drum and slope exemption stamp on it. Looking for trainer . Help If you can or anyone who knows reasonable driving instructor.

Sunil & Michel Dzousa .. Hope both of u get ur Oman D/L  now . Now I am here in ur situation.....same story like urs ... spend a lot of money to get UAE automatic DL . Now am in muscat and came to know cant change Automatic UAE DL to Omani licence. Sad !!!!!

Dear Mr. Jaseervk.

I'm in Sohar, the same problem with me. but could you please check with Muscat ROP where we can drive with UAE licences... As i heard from Sohar ROP, that i can drive with UAE D/L only Yallow number plate......... waiting for your reply.

@@@@

Hi Wazeem,

Am in Saham now....If i get a chance i will check with ROP Oman.

If sohar ROP informed you that you can drive yellow plate vehicle then whats the problem ? I only wants to drive a yellow plate :)

Dear Jaseervk,

I want to confirm with you. because the information in Oman is not clear. could you please check with your nearest ROP...

is it possiblw to avoid drum and slope test.i already havew one year.validity of indian license,but in oman I failed drum test and hav book.also.is it possible to.change now?

yes

Hello! does anyone here know how much is the fee for exchanging my saudi driving license to omani driving lic???

I got private light license is it permisible that can i drive red board vehicle, if not what is the procedure to drive red board .

Abdul Rahman537 wrote:

I got private light license is it permisible that can i drive red board vehicle, if not what is the procedure to drive red board .

You can drive the red boards from a leasing company but you cant drive commercial vehicles (or) vehicles used to transport goods / people etc. They are to be driven only by Omani Nationals. In the event you are transporting goods and people you will be fined and there will be serious repercussions.

Private Light on a License is a term that has been issued for the past 4-5 years I think, It means you can only drive a vehicle for your own personal needs (aka) a Yellow Board (or) a Red Board from a leasing company.

Thanks for your replay.

That Means i can drive commercial vehicle without goods and people.

No You cant drive commercial vehicles at all and your private vehicle should not carry site staff (or) it must not look suspicious that your transporting people for commercial reasons. Its a fine line actually as it depends on the Officer who stops you...... I've had friends who were dropping people at the airport being stopped and questioned........ It should be fine as long as you don't have people crammed in your car wearing company uniforms and carrying tools and machines.

Hope that helps....

Hi

I got a job offer in Oman and will recently travel there, so thus I would like to know that how to get a driving license there in Oman, how much does it cost and how long it takes to acquire that.
Also minimum price range of vehicles available there for purchase????

Thanks in advance.

Well. I didn't know that Google will return me this page while typing tips of getting licence in Oman. :-)

I started my driving sessions one and half year back. In between I took some long breaks. Today was my 7th try in Road Test in Muscat. Till 5th try, i can say that i did some or other mistakes. But during 6th and 7th, I can just say that I was not lucky. Both times, I just failed because someone abruptly entered the roundabout while I was already inside and was about to exit. Last time (my 6th try), one fellow in pick-up truck entered suddenly and the ROP applied brake to slow down my car, though I was in a controllable speed. And today even though I tried my best to take all precautions but still same situation arrived. ROP asked me to take u-turn from Roundabout and I took it successfully, almost. But exactly while exiting the roundabout, one person from right entered the roundabout even after seeing our car, and even after seeing the indicators. ROP suddenly caught my steering and gave horn (which I was supposed to do). Both times, single mistake. Well. I can only say my verdict here now for the people who are following this thread and who are still preparing for next road test :

Apart from learning Good Driving and all the necessary rules and regulations, we should also have presence of mind to take immediate WISE decision, in case others are doing mistakes in front of us, which is eventually going to affect us. With today's failure I have learned this lesson, and I am ready for my next try. Friends, we should lose hope at any cost, Till now I have spent more than 700 OMR in just training sessions and tests right from my first day. My trainer is charging little higher compared to others in every test which i don't want to mention here, he will be having his reasons and requirements. But he is a good guy and he taught me very well. Some of my friends advised me to change trainer, Some advised me to go other places in Oman and get license. But after all, I have to live in Muscat with my family, I want to pass my test in this place only. And what the trainer will do if its not in our luck today.

But still I have hope that I will get my license in next try and I will come back to this thread and post my experience.

Few simple things which I have learnt from my failure :
1. Always before the test, ask your trainer to read out all the previous mistakes which ROP is writing on your book. Take some training sessions before the test and try to concentrate on those previous mistakes. ROP is always checking previous pages / comments. So don't repeat the old mistakes, New mistakes are Good :-) :)  This point doesn't apply to first attempt.

2. Presence of mind to take quick decision (due to which I failed last two times). Secondly, don't be nervous in front of police. I failed my first 3 test, just due to over-nervousness, resulting in mistakes.

3. Have a sound sleep on the previous night of test, And if you have any important official work on previous night, try to postpone it if you think driving license is having more priority. Take at least 45 min of practice session before the test.

4. As we fail, we always blame strictness of ROP or some road conditions (like I was blaming till today after failing), but always think about your family. We are expats, and away from our home countries. Some are with families, some are having their families back in their homeland. Today some plus or minus will happen to us due to our wrong driving, then the situation will be unpredictable. Like today. When that person entered the roundabout suddenly, I should have alerted him with the horn. The car following us especially while turning in roundabout is always trusting us and follow unless its a heavy vehicle or big SUVs which can view every thing even in front of our car. They can also hit us if we don't take "quick-n-wise" decision. I was just imagining, if I will be driving with my wife and my only 9m baby, in my car, and this kind of situation would have occurred then.... So with more failure I am getting more better. (I am not telling that people getting license in lesser tries are not good. My wife got license in her first try, 4 years back, and she is driving our car so perfectly, I should have started my driving before her :-) well i was bit lazy that time :-)). Ya, I agree, every time we fail, its hard time for us especially while paying money to our trainer (hardly 10 Rial less, than which we can give him after passing). This feeling will be with all of us, after all its our hard earned money which we are earning away from our country for our family. But its their occupation. We cannot think that we are paying extra for getting a failure. My personal opinion is "God knows better than us, what is better for us and when". After all its one time investment.

5. Most important point, majority of your friends or colleagues, who already got license will give several advises before you go for next test. Sometimes it annoys us. I am always getting nervous when my colleagues tell me, they got it 3rd or 4th... try or so on, or sometimes they criticize our driving by boasting theirs. Don't become annoyed. Hereafter if anyone will talk to me like that, my simple answer will be "I am going to become better driver". Have optimistic attitude and a calm mindset.

6. During the test, by chance if you have done some mistake, don't get nervous and affect your further driving. Just continue your driving with a mindset that Police will ignore it. This mindset will help you in not doing any further mistakes. Some of my friends told that they passed the test even with minor errors. So it depends on the mood of police too. Well this luck was not with me in 4th and 5th attempt :-(

I am not going to let my spirit down with failures. Generally we see others and get nervous, that we must get it this time. After all who likes to say "Again I couldn't make it". Have patience and hope. One or other day we will get license, and we can tell to others that "If we can get license here, we are the perfect drivers :-)".

At last, please wish me Good Luck for my 8th attempt :-) because I badly need it. For the past 1 year, specially after the arrival of my baby, I want to drive my car. I wish my next post to this blog will be with a good news. And even if i could not make it in next attempt, I will come back to share the experience of my next test...... (of-course not with this much big and time consuming post). :-)

Best Wishes,
Vikas

That so kool. Can u share how much it costed???

Hi vikasrao,

Brilliant first post from you indeed.

You have explained in such vivid detail the hassles that almost all Asian expatriates face before getting their Omani driving licence. Yes, it is a very painful and stressful process that one has to go through.

Well, you have come this far. And you have learnt so much along the way.That's great. I am sure you will get your licence very soon given your positive mindset. My best wishes to you.

I would like to share something here with you. One of my colleagues who went through this ordeal demanded to know why he was failed after a road test, even though he was pretty certain that he had not made any mistakes.

You know what the reason given to him by the cop was ... ?!? "Overconfident" !!

Perhaps he was briefly holding the steering wheel with one hand, or was glancing too often at the cop seated next to him, or whatever else that he was doing, the cop failed him and said it was because he acted "overconfident" !! LOL !

You post would serve all those who are also trying to get their driving licence well. Very valuable and practical tips for the many who are sailing in the same boat as you.

Good luck to you again !

Thank you so much Sumitran for your wishes. & point noted :-) I will just try my best and rest is up to almighty and my luck too.  :)

Hi vikasrao,

Yes, rightly said ... luck does play an important role in getting the driving licence.

Good luck and all the very best to you.

I may be among those very few expats, who got the license in first attempt. Yes, its all over your luck and it was purely my luck that i got it in first attempt. Having less sleep, tired of the previous day and no mood of giving the test as everyone said that its a for sure fail. But I got it then and there  !!!!

It was back in 2006 and im amazed to realize that it will be 10 years next year for the renewal.

I lost 4 of my test in Ruwi region in 2 months, I am driving in India for last 11 years..But still struglling to win in ruwi,,majority sugessted me to change my region which i dont want to do so,,, Is it true that we should appear for minimum of atleast 12 - 15 test to win here..Or I need to change my driving instructer...Totally confused ?? hearing now omani license is equivalent to GCC ... is that true?? please wish me good luck for my next test probably by march 8th....

regards,
Shoaib

Good luck brother. wish me good luck as well.

shoaibsheriff wrote:

I lost 4 of my test in Ruwi region in 2 months, I am driving in India for last 11 years..But still struglling to win in ruwi,,majority sugessted me to change my region which i dont want to do so,,, Is it true that we should appear for minimum of atleast 12 - 15 test to win here..Or I need to change my driving instructer...Totally confused ?? hearing now omani license is equivalent to GCC ... is that true?? please wish me good luck for my next test probably by march 8th....

regards,
Shoaib

Hi shoaibsheriff,

I know getting a local driving licence can be a real nightmare. But believe me, there are no shortcuts. You have to go through the ordeal before you manage to pass the road test.

Don't listen to all the advises that are being freely distributed by all and sundry. Changing the region, or changing the trainer (unless he is proven to be abusive, intolerant, impatient and short-tempered) is not the answer to your woes. It will not help in any great measure.

Just keep trying. Stay focussed and calm while taking the test. Read the other posts in the forum and you will find a lot of insights which will help you. Having driven in India for that long is a serious handicap ! As quickly as possible, first unlearn whatever you had learnt there and then learn driving the right way as being taught here. That would help.

Good luck.

Shoaibsheriff!

The advice of changing the town is quite useful as the chances of getting the license quickly are more over there.

But since you have to be in Muscat all around, I would also suggest you to take license from this city as it will give you a confidence afterwards (Trust me it works). There are people who obtained the license in even second attempt and I know people who are still struggling, even after their 20th attempt :)

Best'o 'luK!

Hi shoaibsheriff,

I too am hearing that the test at Ruwi is tough, but I am not really sure how far this is correct. I am taking at Seeb and cleared both drum and slope at first go. I was driving in India for more than 10 years and the first stages was OK. But the main hazzle is the road test. I need to reformat my brain :) . Make all those right side instructions to left side :( . After 4 hours of road driving I feel I may have to go at least for 20 hours to get my bran cleaned off from the Indian way.

It is good that I went through the drum and slope test, because it was like a good refresher course and exam with new syllabus after 15 years of graduation!!. Still I have the final exam left..

Finalllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.. :-) On this Sunday, on the very next try, after sharing my experiences of 7 failures in this Blog, I got my license on my 8th try :-)  :) Thanks for your best wishes and advises.

good luck brother.

vikasrao wrote:

Finalllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.. :-) On this Sunday, on the very next try, after sharing my experiences of 7 failures in this Blog, I got my license on my 8th try :-)  :) Thanks for your best wishes and advises.

Mabrook ! Mabrook !!

Drive safe.

Good luck.

HI,

I have an UAE Automatic license. What is the procedure of converting UAE Automatic license to Omani Automatic license as per the current rule.

Qatar License can be exchanged for Omani License?

Is UAE automatic license convertible to Omani Automatic license. Can I drive in Oman with the UAE license until I get an Omani one. I am planning to export my UAE car to Oman. Is this possible.

I have expired kuwait licence is this help me way to grab Oman licence ... Thank u

abdulashlam wrote:

I have expired kuwait licence is this help me way to grab Oman licence ... Thank u

Hi abdulashlam,

Can you travel with an expired passport ?

Or use an expired credit card for making a purchase ?

Anything expired, is well, expired.

I too had a very bad experience during my road test. I too failed several times. Different polices, as you rightly said, gauge you differently on the same dimensions. I once failed because the police said, "you are too slow in moving out pf the parking area". Some of the trainers are also very nasty guys. Some have the habit of screaming loudly whenever you commit a small mistake and once I told the trainer. "I am not afraid of the real test, because the police will at best fail you, but you are worse than the police. You are making me commit mistakes by making me nervous when I take classes with you". On the other hand the 7 rial per hour trainers are also not quite good. They are not particular that you should pass, so they let you commit mistakes and they are very cool to you, because if they shout, you may run away and not take him next time. But then, they don't train you well enough to qualify for the test. Further, when they sit with you in the car, they talk to the police against you, as if they are themselves fed up with your driving etc etc

Dear All

I have India (Delhi) license [Smart card based without chip].  Have recently shifted to Muscat and have to go for my driving license. Heard recently there has been change in rules, so no exemption for slope and drum test. Is it true? Can anyone kindly highlight the current process including attestaions, if any, and the exemptions in place now for procuring a driving license.

Thanks & Regards

Hi Micheal,
It is require theory test if I got UAE driving license?

I have a valid Bahrain driving licence. Can I convert it to an oman licence?

No need

Hi Friends, am from india and looking for a good no nonsense driving instructor.

Please share any info if you got. Tanks in advance friends.

Wazeed.

Hi

I started taking driving instructions in Muscat but recently I have shifted to Sohar but my driving book is with my instructor so just wanted to know that whether I need to apply for a new book in Sohar or the muscat book is valid here in Sohar. And also If I am not able to collect the book from my driving instructor in muscat rather if he is reluctant to give the book back, is there any option to get it back from him.

Do they check color blindness test?