Come See the Turtles Before They are Gone!

Hi all,

I am new to Oman, almost 3 weeks now, and I am loving living here on the beach in Sur.

Right up the road, only about 40km, is a major nesting ground for sea turtles. This time of year you can see the entire process from nesting, laying eggs, covering of eggs, hatching, and the mad dash for the water. This is my next excursion! Please come out and see this amazing phenomenon before the season is over in late October.

There is a TON of beauty here in Sur. Sadly, many of the expats are only spending their time in the local hotels because they sell fire water. As I prefer to occupy myself with things much more natural, I would love some company if any of you ever decide to come out our way. Feel free to bring your flippers for some great snorkeling as well!

Just a side note, I respect everyone fully! Please do the same for me. Though I am American, I am a Muslim.

Here's to wishing you ALL much love, peace, and respect!

Whats the best time to come to see turtles? I heard that it must be very early in the morning. please suggest

If you want to take pictures you should come in the morning. That one starts at 4am. The other starts at 8pm but won't allow pictures. The reason is that the babies are drawn to the water by the luminescence from the plankton in the water. At night, the flash from the camera will attract the babies to you instead of the water.

Happy turtle watching!

Thanks a lot the reply. I might plan this weekend coming from Sohar

No worries. The name of the scientific center that leads the tours is Ras Al Gin (Jin). They're great. I'd Google it before heading out.