How to make friends in Montenegro

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals and other expats) when you're living in Montenegro :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Montenegro??

Thanks in advance for your participation

Go for coffee. Everyone (so it seems) loves to invite or be invited for coffee.

My personal experience is that locals do not like to mingle with tourists/ visitors.
The local economy of the shore line is very much depending on tourism; you will get the service that you expect but don't expect to be approached or your efforts with the locals to produce any results of friendship or companion you hope for. Most local do not speak English. Some know very limited German or Italian.
It would be nice if Montenegro had a site that one could post dates of visit and get responses from locals interested in meeting or hosting.
If you look at Craigslist.org you will see that Montenegro doesn't have a link.

Hello and welcome on board David0007!

There is Expat.com for that ;)

Armand

Hi David,
I have to say I totally disagree with you...
Montenegrins are very friendly and welcoming. They can seem a little rough at first but when you start to speak to them, especially when you make the effort to try and speak their language they open themselves very quickly.
Also, never in my life have I been invited so many times to enter people's home (after talking (or trying to communicate) for 5 minutes) to drink turkish coffee, domestic loza and home-made juice.
And after all, why do we always expect locals of the countries we visit to speak English, and why don't we try to speak the language of the country we are visiting...
Furthermore, saying that "most locals don't speak english" is also untrue. I spent 3 years living here, including 2 years not being able to make a proper sentence in the local language, and the only language I could use was English, and 80% of the people could understand and speak. Especially on the coast.
I believe your experience is not reflecting the reality, and I am sorry you felt that way.

David0007 wrote:

My personal experience is that locals do not like to mingle with tourists/ visitors.
The local economy of the shore line is very much depending on tourism; you will get the service that you expect but don't expect to be approached or your efforts with the locals to produce any results of friendship or companion you hope for. Most local do not speak English. Some know very limited German or Italian.
It would be nice if Montenegro had a site that one could post dates of visit and get responses from locals interested in meeting or hosting.
If you look at Craigslist.org you will see that Montenegro doesn't have a link.

Dear friend Armand,
I thank you for your thoughts and response.
I believe that you made too many wrong assumptions.
I speak the local language, my family is from Hercegnovi, I own two large properties on the coast line.
I am well involved with the community and articles have been written about me in the local papers; thus I know how the locals feel about tourists and visitors.

There are exceptions, especially with charming individuals, you must be one of these exceptions. I and the locals appreciate people like you but do you really believe that you represent the majority of the tourists? I assure you, you don't.

I honestly do not know where or how did you come up with 80% of locals speaking English, There are some of the younger generation that do but they to not reflect 80% of the population.
Thanks again for your thoughts; I stand by mine.

Best regards,
David

Dear friend Armand,

Reading your post i guess you were addressing to Montenegro? :/

Regards
Armand

You are very correct my friend.
Are you there now?
If so please feel free to contact me starting tomorrow Saturday; I will arrive in Herceg Novi at 09:00 pm. and will be at The Hotel Plaza room 904.
Would love to meet you and maybe go to lunch or dinner.
I can also introduce you to some very good people there.
Hope to get to meet you.
Best regards,
Dan.

Just a note to add to this discussion, an Internations group has been created to help connect expats. If you go to their website, internations.org, you'll be able to view upcoming events. The next one is at Plavnica, on Tuesday, July 26th.

To all friends and members of this site,
Wishing you all very happy holidays and a very happy new year, from the warm and beautiful weather in Mexico.
See you in Montenegro next year.

:cool:

As Monetgro said,we are really r=friendly people,so if You have any quastion about Montenegro,or you need an accomodation,or transport just ask..i can help u with everythin.

Hvala Luljet,
imam sve sto trebam u Herceg Novi

Luljeta Sefa wrote:

As Monetgro said,we are really r=friendly people,so if You have any quastion about Montenegro,or you need an accomodation,or transport just ask..i can help u with everythin.

We?
On your profile it says that you are an expat from Albania.

David,
I am sorry but I have to say that you are one of those people who thinks that his own kind is worst in the world. Another thing is that is you are local, and you are well known person, you can not feel hospitality of your own people, because you are not stranger, and then you see that some stranger who came here 3 years ago has so many nice things to say about your hometown and people in it, and you are so stubborn to accept it? I was traveling a lot through Montenegro, working, and Serbia too, and rest of ex Yugoslavia, and believe me I had so many offers to eat, drink and sleep at somebodies house just because I passed by, you cannot imagine.... and also Slav's hospitality is famous from old times, from Greek and Roman historians...
English speaking community among locals is also quite ok, not 80% for sure, but among people till 40 is good enough to communicate for basic needs and to make friends almost everybody, and if you have been in Europe, like France, Germany and many more you would know that English speaking in  Montenegro is quite satisfied.
Greets to all

Hi David0007,

Can you please post in English on the Montenegro English speaking forum so that everybody be able to understand and participate
Thank you in advance ;).

Regards,
Julie

Dear friends
I am planning to travel to Montenegro on end of coming Nov. For business  It is my first trip and would like to know some good people who can help me and quid me there. In transport .. transulation .. and so on..
If any one can offer this service please send me details to email :  [email protected]

Montenegrins is very familiar people, so you will not have problem to find friends. P.S. Where are you now?

You're so right Nemanja ! Never seen people welcoming strangers better than Montenegro, the best in Europe for sure! For english speaking also a good place to understand each other.

Hi,

I'm traveling to Montenegro and I need someone who speaks English well to help me!
Anyone that can help?

Hi everyone,

@ Urgent to sell, this is a rather old thread...how can members help you ? What will you need ?

Regards,
Bhavna

I'm staying in Budva for few weeks and I woud love to meet some new people, anybody in Budva at the moment?

Hi there, I have a friend in Montenegro she moved there months ago and she's such a nice person and she's feeling lonely there if one of u girls is interested in going out with her that would be nice ..

Also, there is an app to make friends called Boo