PMs for new users

I think new users should be allowed to reply to PMs they received.
Imagine the following situation:
A freshly registered user posts a genuine question and received a PM about it from somebody. The new user cannot reply or even say thank you!
I can understand that this is frustrating and may lead to "post-count SPAM" - i.e. posting of various meaningless messages just to get the PM function unlocked. Such people are not SPAMmers, but genuine users!
Therefore, please enable replying to received messages for all users!

Very good point

Bob K

Why should you answer a newbie in private and not on the forum  :unsure ?
This blog is about to share information with everyone who can get the benefits from it.
Saying thanks on the forum is a nice way to let the other know that you appreciate the help.

Primadonna wrote:

Why should you answer a newbie in private and not on the forum  :unsure ?
This blog is about to share information with everyone who can get the benefits from it.
Saying thanks on the forum is a nice way to let the other know that you appreciate the help.

You are right that advice should be preferably given on the forum, in public.
But if someone doesn't, it is hardly the fault of the one who asked the question.
And there are also sensible reasons for using PM in some cases: For example if the replier wants to offer the asker a room for rent, has a job opportunity, or similar.

Also if the newbie is asking for specific information (referral) about someone, that someone may not want their contact information on a public board.  As an example someone had asked my for a referral to a  lawyer for a problem. That did not need to be on  a public board but rather dealt with "privately" 

So I can see where this would be an issue

Bob K

Hi beppi,

Thanks for your suggestion.
Just one thing though. New users are not blocked instantly.
They are if they send a certain number of copy paste messages. The mailbox is open but with limited capacity. So they will have the chance to reply to a few suggestions/ questions at least.
Anyway i can tell you that we are working on this issue but it takes some time to rethink as there are a lot of factors to be taken into consideration.

Thanks
Armand
Expat.com Team

Thanks for clarification!!!!  It really helps.  And I agree some questions and comments need to be private!

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR