American expat looking for Japanese friends

Friends,

Everyone knows Japanese people are really cool, whether its music, games, anime, or cuisine from the Land of the Rising Sun, its difficult to go wrong. Some of my favorite bands (Boris, Melt-Banana) are Japanese, and I thoroughly appreciate anime classics like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and anything by Miyazaki.

I know there are many Japanese people working in Malaysia, but they don't live in my area and I have no way to connect with them. I thought I would try posting something on here to meet some Japanese expats. It would be great to meet some cool folks and banzai over some Japanese spirits.

A little about me, I'm an American writer from NYC who has lived in Asia for the past five years; I work in the news industry. I'm a sociable friendly guy who is interested in cultures and societal studies, and I can talk for hours.

Hi isn't that downright rascist?

People in Greenland are very cool. Especially when standing on an iceberg  :whistle:

It would be racist if my post contained anything derogatory about non-Japanese people, which it doesn't. I see nothing wrong with seeking out people from a particular nationality, I've also written posts on different networking sites seeking out Syrians and Palestinians because I wanted to know more about people from that region. My apologies if my post isn't inclusive enough.

It is rascist actually. From dictionary

"a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another."

No need to be derogatory! Eg "wanted Japanese female under 26 for sales job" that is rascist and sexist (and ageist).

What isn't rascist is "wanted sales rep who is fluent in Japanese as we deal with Japanese clients" ie can be non Japanese fluent in Japanese.

Again asking for Japanese speakers to practice Japanese isn't rascist. But saying all Japanese are cool IS rascist. Or anyone who is to anime want to meet up etc is sharing a hobby so not rascist.

Saying all Greenlanders are cool who stand on Icebergs isn't rascist but a Thermodynamic fact  :top:

Saying all Americans have no sense of humour beyond slapstick is rascist. But so true :huh:

Hi….I truly don't think it is racist….!  Let's don't be that harsh to YLeFrancois….(^___^)

YLeFrancois has listed down clearly the reasons why he is looking for Japanese's friends, so, they can have the same subject to discuss and share….besides, and he has introduced himself properly \ polite.

….not all people know what and who is Akira, Ghost in the Shell, or Miyazaki, etc…..unless you are a Japanese, or you are interest and watching often Japanese comic \ animation film, play, where is, you will want to understand (know) the culture of Japanese for why the people action, behave, etc.

YLeFrancois just simply requested for what he is looking for…..didn't pay much attention for this request will “annoy” some people !

Let's not to be too sensitive, but open mind….!
…………………………………………………….

Too bad….my son is now study in France not in KL ….he is interested \ familiar in Japanese comic, film, singers (music), language, culture, etc.

…..I know some Japanese families in KL, but due to the language issue (speaking) and shyness, they often stay only with themselves to avoid problem, and culture differences…..therefore, I suggest…..you might looking into KL university.

Best of Lucks......// Mrs. Yoan

Welcome to the blog, YLeFrancois!

I apologize, but I sincerely do not find that racist at all and I totally agree with zen88, that is, not to be too sensitive but open minded! Any way, I hope you will build good network through Expat.com! :)

Come on guys, let's not slag off Americans or any other nationality come to that, even the french. Sorry are you french?

I too like Japanese music especially the guitarist Akira Wada. I also spent a couple of weeks holidays with my family in Japan and it is one of the best places I have ever visited. Can't wait to visit there again.

I actually met this Japanese woman in Isetan who is a lecturer at a local university and also a journalist, She was very friendly and talkative. If I find her namecard then I'll give you her number. Or do you prefer Japanese men?

MikeWallace77 wrote:

Come on guys, let's not slag off Americans or any other nationality come to that, even the french. Sorry are you french?

I too like Japanese music especially the guitarist Akira Wada. I also spent a couple of weeks holidays with my family in Japan and it is one of the best places I have ever visited. Can't wait to visit there again.

I actually met this Japanese woman in Isetan who is a lecturer at a local university and also a journalist, She was very friendly and talkative. If I find her namecard then I'll give you her number. Or do you prefer Japanese men?

I agree let's not insult the French. It takes great courage for French men to face those hairy armpits.....they have my total respect  :thanks:   *

But it all proves Americans have no sense of humour. Here is the list of funny American comedians:

The end  :P

* I am illustrating rascism! Really bad of me I promise never to insult the French again. As now we have the Scots to make fun of!

zaff wrote:

Welcome to the blog, YLeFrancois!

I apologize, but I sincerely do not find that racist at all and I totally agree with zen88, that is, not to be too sensitive but open minded! Any way, I hope you will build good network through Expat.com! :)

I was poking fun at him quite obviously (especially as it sounded a little creepy to be honest) BUT it is rascist by definition. As an American he should uphold PC values as in Malaysia standards are way lower and I feel we should try to maintain high levels of anti discrimination (unless it is against the French needless to say as a Brit. Although the Scots will soon take over in the pun stakes).

Also to meet like minded people join certain meet u p groups and have fun!

But no harm intended

You should try contacting this Japanese woman Suenaga Megumi. She was a Visiting Fellow at the University of Malaya at the Dept Of East Asian Studies in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. I don't know if she is still in Malaysia and I better not give you her hp number but try calling 03-7967 5591. She wanted to meet up to go for a coffee, but I never got round to it. I think she is also some kind of journalist. Hope you get lucky. I don't think she would waste her time with a dipstick so hopefully you are not one. And don't mention the war...! :o

Nemo, seems you have nothing better to do then slag off on people.  There was nothing racist about the original post, even by your own definition, if you care to read that and then read again the original post.

Anyway, if you want to meet Japanese people, there is a Japanese association.  Look it up on the web and if they have a clubhouse, go there and there should be a bulletin board with various advertisements and activities (although probably all written in Japanese).  Even so, you can talk to the person at the front desk and I'm sure they will help you out.

Gombatte.

Yep there is a Japanese Assoc somewhere near Megamall, across the main road from the Volvo dealer. Been there a few times. You should contact them.

:/

Hi everybody,

Can we speak calmly here please? This adds nothing constructive to the forum!
I think that it would be better to stick to the subject of this topic which is American expat looking for Japanese friends and to try to help YLeFrancois to get into contact with japanese communities.

Thank you  :top:

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Hi I am from Japan working in Hospital. Can I make friendship with you.

Tomoko Takahashi

[ Moderated :  :offtopic:  please place your advert in our Jobs section ]

Hi there,
I'm a Japanese just moved to KL.
It's been difficult for me to meet new people in here compared to other country I've lived and traveled.
I'm looking for friends who can hang out on weekends for drinks/ sports/ concerts/ etc.

Let me know if you are still in.

Cheers,

Hello YLeFrancois!

I'm a Japanese guy doing international consultancy, just moved in KL 2 weeks ago.
Very positive about knowing various cultures and people, especially hanging out at music or sports place.
Hope to get together for dinner or weekend socializing activity.
FYI, my work place is around Ampang and accommodation is in Mont Kiara.

Cheers!

Hiro Ishizaki

hi, Im not a Japanese lady. How are you doing? Lynn here originally from philippines but currently residing here in malaysia .