Moving to kl with family

Hello everyone,
I am currently in the process of moving to kl with my husband and our 2 children (both under 3years old). My husband will be working in pj, his office is based in the 1 utama shopping mall. We are looking for a condominium in an area that is popular with other expatriates with families but would also allow for relatively easy commuting to and from the 1utama area.. If you could recommend some areas close to international schools that are expat comm based I'd be very greatful. :D
Thanks
Salma

Bukit Utama 9 Condo is close to the British International School, which is very near your husband's office. Bandar Utama has lots to offer. The schools will know where the families live. The Club@Bukit Utama is cool.

Garden School International and Mont Kiara International School are accessible from Mont Kiara, which is full of expats attending those schools. Desa Sri Hartamas and Bukit Damansara also possible to reach schools.

However, check out your schooling budget before settling on housing. If you cant afford the fees then you may have to look in a completely different area with a different set of schools.

Your budget will determine which condos you can afford. Prices range from about RM4k to RM15k depending on size, age, and location.

Hi gravitas,  thank you for your reply. The schooling and housing feeswill be covered by the company. We are looking around the 6000mr a month on the condo. You mentioned a couple of places, do you know if areas in PJ such as Bandar utama have alot of expats?. We  have been looking in the mont kiara, bangsar, damansara areas as from what I'd read on most forums those areas seem to be favourites with expats. Would the commute be easy enough from one of those areas to his work place?

Most expats live either in KLCC, Bangsar, Mont Kiara, or closer to the International School in KL, in Ampang, say at Ukay Perdana and especially Beverly Heights. There are a lot of expats from all over the world working in Downtown Damansara Utama close to your husband's office. There are many English-speaking families in MK because of the schools. However, all properties will have a broad range of nationalities and a lot of middle-class Chinese-Malaysians.

Mont Kiara is closest to One Utama but he will need a car. In fact you will probably need two cars as there are only a few buses and not good connections in MK.

Everywhere there will be a small proportion of British people but other English speakers and many Malaysian families use English as their first language. There are kindergartens run in English in the MK area. The shops in MK sell British and international products i.e. they are linked with Waitrose.

(Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls + register in the business directory)

Hi gravitas, thank you so much for all the detailed info, it's been a great help. We will be moving over in early Dec. Still haven't decided on where to live but we will have a month to find something once we get there as the company will provide accommodation.  I was wondering if you know anything about the i-zen @kiara2 in MK?  They have a montessori school there that I am thinking of putting my son into and the condo itself looks lovely. If there's any info on that condo/school anyone could give me I'd be really greatfull.  Thanks in advance.

This analysis is useful. Note noise and pollution issues.  Mont Kiara is right on the North/South highway and has a huge toll right below it. It is therefore very noisy and polluted from the vehicles. Better condos are further away from this area.  Generally though you will find MK a concrete jungle which is congested and has a bad road layout.  There are better places nearby to live for a better quality of life and to protect health. You need to be careful about the low and multiple electricity cables that criss-cross MK. Some units are thought to be too close and health concerns have also been expressed about this, especially when arcing can take place in the electrical storms which are quite frequent.

i-Zen

Thanks gravitas.  Oh now I'm so confused about where to find a place  :blink:
I need somewhere that is close (walking distance preferred)  to where we decide to send our son to school.  :mad:

Gravitas, you seem to be the go to person with info re all things kl,  I was wondering do you know anything about the waldorf tower condo in Sri hartamas? I.e is it an old building or new? Is there much of an expat community there or in surrounding condos?  Ect. If anyone else has any info on this condo please do comment.
Thanks  :D

[moderated: no free ads please register your company in the business directory]

Hi Salmap,

Both Mont Kiara and Bandar Utama are great places to live in, but again depending on what you are looking for. And school buses are readily available if you do not intend to drive your children to school. Expat communities from different countries are staying in and around different parts of the city.

If you need relocation assistance and information on international schools (if you have not found one), I will be happy to assist. Just drop me an email

Hi Salma, I'd probably look into a more quiet area such as Ampang, which has plenty of expats. There are also many international schools & Montessori kindergartens for young kids in the Ampang area. If your husband doesn't mind traveling about 30 mins to his workplace, your family could be living only 10 mins away from KLCC and near the international schools (so many to choose from - ISKL, Sayfol, Fairview, etc). Does your husband mind traveling to work?

Although Mont Kiara has international school there. but the main thing has to be considered is a transportation for your husband to his working place.

Also lots of expat stay in Bandar Utama, TTDI, and also Damansara Perdana.

Do let me know if need further info. we could recommend some apartment for your consideration.

Hi,
Here are the Malaysian schools following the British curriculum.

Kuala Lumpur and Selangor

The Alice Smith School Association
2 Jalan Bellamy
50460 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: Primary (Jalan Bellamy) - (03) 2148 3674/ 2144 9218;
Tel: Secondary (Equine Park) - (03) 9543 3688
Fax: Primary - (03) 2148 3418
Fax: Secondary - (03) 9543 3788
Email: PrimarySchool or Secondary School
Web: The Alice SmithSchool Association

Garden International School
16 Jalan 1/61A
Off Jalan Bukit Kiara
50480 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: (03) 6209 6888
Fax: (03) 6201 2468
Email: Garden International School
Web: Garden International School

elc International School
Lot 3664 Sierramas Barat
Sungai Buloh
46000 Selangor
Tel: (03) 6156 5001/ 5002
Fax: (03) 6156 5003
Email: elc International School
Web: elc International School

The British School of Kuala Lumpur (BSKL)
The Club, 1 Club Drive
Bukit Utama, Bandar Utama
Petaling Jaya 47800 Selangor
Tel: (03) 7727 7775
Fax: (03) 7722 1296
Email: BSKL
Web: BSKL

Thank you.