Discrimination against the handicapped seems to have no limits anymore

As a handicapped person myself, I'd like to express my indignation at the discrimination, abuse, arrogance and intolerance demonstrated on a daily basis towards us by so-called "normal" or able-bodied people.

A prime case of this pervasive attitude, and one of the most shameful examples I've seen in a very long time is US rapper Kayne West's recent spectacular gaffe in Sydney, Australia when he ORDERED everyone in the audience to stand up before he'd start singing.

"I can't do this song, I can't do this show until everybody stand up. Unless you got a handicap pass and you get special parking and s**t. Imma see you if you ain't standing up, believe me, I'm very good at that."

As if that in itself wasn't bad enough he had the unmitigated gall to send his bodyguards out into the audience to confirm that those who didn't stand were, in fact, wheelchair bound and he also humiliated several of them publicly. This idiot doesn't seem to understand that there are also various degrees of diability (many not even visible to others) and that not all those with mobility problems use a wheelchair.

Does he think he's doing his fans a FAVOR by performing??? Quite to the contrary, his fans are doing him a FAVOR by being fans and paying their hard-earned money to see him perform. I'll tell you one thing Kayne, if I pay to see your show I'll damned well sit or stand as I see fit, not because you think you're so special that you have the God given right to demand it!!!

Of all people, a black American from Chicago should understand better than anyone else just what prejudice and discrimination really are. Obviously that is NOT the case with West... he's just plain arrogant and rude.

I think that Kayne West owes a very large and public apology to the entire handicapped community, not only in Australia, but worldwide.

http://www.examiner.com/article/kanye-w … -and-dance

Cheers,
William James Woodward

A bit hard to argue with that - he's a ****.

I wonder how long we will have to wait before he apologises.... Probably when hell freezes over...

Doesn't look like the ugly red guy with the horns and pitchfork is getting his winter wear ready anytime soon!!!

Rappers live with (and from) their bad boy image. Being politically incorrect was probably part of his performance.
I refuse to be stirred by such juvenile actions - but if there is real discrimination somewhere, I will stand up against it!

beppi wrote:

I will stand up against it!

So, you aren't disabled then. :D

wjwoodward wrote:

Does he think he's doing his fans a FAVOR by performing???

Yes.

Meet other expats and join the events

OR