A foreigner died riding high powered motorbike this afternoon. No ID

5:30pm Sunday 21st Sept,
A foreign men over the age of 30 shorts, bare-chested, large displacement motorcycles run on Dien Bien Phu Street, Green Goods directions from the center of Ho Chi Minh City. As to the intersection of Dinh Tien Hoang, he was said to be running at high speed motorcycle collided with a woman running on Dinh Tien Hoang Street.
Large cylinder bike continue working on the sidewalk, hit the lottery seller before straight into the concrete wall fast food outlets, bounced and fell into the street.

Authorities have not determined the identity and nationality of the foreign men because no identification found.

Translated by Google hence a few mistakes but you get the jist of it.

http://www.thanhniennews.com/Uploaded/thuyvi/2014_09_21/accident_VDYI.jpg?width=840

A foreigner was killed on the spot as he hit a house's wall along the road while speeding his motorbike in Ho Chi Minh City downtown Sunday.
The crash occurred at around 5:45 a.m. at the crossroad of Dien Bien Phu and Dinh Tien Hoang in District 1.
The name and nationality of the foreigner are not known yet as he carried no personal papers.
Eyewitnesses said the man, possibly in his 30s, was speeding on the prohibited direction on the one-way section of Dinh Tien Hoang Street.
When he approached the crossroads, he tried to swerve to avoid a motorbike driven by local man Tran Hoang Giao, 27, only to run onto the sidewalk and hit a wall.
The collision was strong enough it throw the foreigner backward on the road, killing him on the spot. The motorbike was broken, so as a piece of the wall.
Giao was slightly injured from the collision with the foreigner's bike and was rushed to hospital.
News website Dan Tri said the foreigner's bike also hit and injured a lottery ticket street vendor on the sidewalk.
Police are investigating the cause of accident.

Hope he will rest in peace!

That driving slow or fast is better is a question in VN. I am afraid of Govap dist when people are l wild drivers.

R.I.P, man!

His motobike, 54A7 – 0132
http://dantri4.vcmedia.vn/yFccccccccccccu7FISh/Image/2014/09/4-38d1e.JPG

Source: http://dantri.com.vn/xa-hoi/xe-moto-pha … 946123.htm

Of course the difficulties for the dead Foreigners family begins.

And the potential high costs.

I posted a How To Die in VN but it was deemed unsuitable for a 'family' web site.

Foreigners in VN should decide before they travel or immediately after they arrive what they want done in case of death.

The paperwork is onerous, the consulate (or embassy) are less than helpful. Airlines charge full freight rates (way more expensive than a live body).

Also, thanks to drug smuggling, the casket/box/container has to be sealed and many countries require the remains are to be unopened - so no viewing. This is another reason why cremation is the optimum way.

And think of survivors. My wife has all my account numbers and knows how to use the various Credit/Debit cards. A friend of mine has the access codes.

Remember, the minute a embassy/consulate is notified home country accounts are BLOCKED. This means VN relatives have to move FAST!

I tried to look for your post but couldnt find it Jaitch.

I don't think he is the owner of that bike due to the plate number. And of course No A2 driving licence=> This bike will be kept in the police station until it just has the frame and is sold to some guys who loves modifying bikes :kiss:

http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/2010-honda-cbr600rr-stage-2-3.jpg

Praying for his soul again!

Dejavu.dot wrote:

I tried to look for your post but couldnt find it Jaitch.

Check your mailbox.

Plate numbers aren't always accurate reflections of type of ownership. I have 'local' plates on one and another vehicle has NN.

On average, there are three roadkills every day in HCM alone. Better to pray that the victims of this bad driver survived.

Sad for the family of decreased.. RIP --

May he rest in peace.
Thoughts are prayers to him and family.

Sometimes, just cause we Foreigners we try to avoid of hitting someone on the street, we the ones getting in accidents/sometimes/death.

But I thought he drove so fast because there aren't many people on street at 5am.
I am always afraid Saigon street on Tet's holiday, because people drink beer so much, but drive so fast!

Jaitch wrote:

I posted a How To Die in VN but it was deemed unsuitable for a 'family' web site.

Foreigners in VN should decide before they travel or immediately after they arrive what they want done in case of death.

I'd be interested in a copy of that post if you still have it. I don't plan on departing anytime soon, but this thread reminds me that crap happens all the time and it is better to be ready.

A PM will work if the moderators find the information too sensitive for a family forum.

Ws an editorial note protecting family assets in time of crisis is an important aspect to discuss in a family forum.. I'm just saying...

R.I.P.

Yep, How to Die in Vietnam would be a good one. Despite the percentage of foreigners in Vietnam is lower than in many other countries, one or the other one will be biting the dust here.

Here my approach, if it might work for everyone, no warranty:
- setup a will stating your detailed wishes (in my case, my wife might decide and take over all) at a local notary, let sign and stamp it
- let the (your)  embassy sign and stamp it ( so they can't insist, its not a valid one). I have anyway no relatives in my home country, so the embassy would sit only on the costs anyway, likely, they will not interfere

What I omitted in my original post, was that he was travelling at high speed wearing shorts and no shirt.
Not what I call proper attire for any two wheeled motorised transport, let alone a high powered sportsbike.
And the other reason I posted it was because the police at that stage and may not still have identified him and I felt there was an outside chance someone would recognise either the bike or rider from within the Expat community.

DirtyPierre wrote:

What I omitted in my original post, was that he was travelling at high speed wearing shorts and no shirt.
Not what I call proper attire for any two wheeled motorised transport, let alone a high powered sportsbike.
And the other reason I posted it was because the police at that stage and may not still have identified him and I felt there was an outside chance someone would recognise either the bike or rider from within the Expat community.

Each bike should have a number plate. Normally enough to trace the legal owner and/or the driver. It is the job of the police.

ngattt wrote:

R.I.P, man!

His motobike, 54A7 – 0132
[img align=C]http://dantri4.vcmedia.vn/yFccccccccccccu7FISh/Image/2014/09/4-38d1e.JPG[/url]

Source: http://dantri.com.vn/xa-hoi/xe-moto-pha … 946123.htm

Graphic pics.

A question about the legitimacy of the plates.
Any one have a guess of the age of the victims bike?
I thought it was a CB 600 Hornet,but it might be a Hyosung with an exposed frame like that.

I hope that from this tragedy,the authorities clamp down on high capacity motorbikes that are registered with dodgy plates.
Any motorbike registered after 2011? has a five number plate(lower numbers,not the province number).
So,how can a Kawasaki Z1000 manufactured in 2012 have a plate with only 4 numbers?
Take a look around at all the big bikes getting around on the streets these days.

Have a look at the age and condition of them.   Especially all the Z1000's,CB 600's and the big V twins.
Then compare that with the registration plate.
Does it have four or five numbers?
Does the plate look much more worn and aged than the bikes physical appearance?

Aha! You might say. These bikes are legally imported into the country and they don't have to be new to be imported.

Well,if they're legally imported within the last three years and given a Vietnamese registration,
wouldn't they all have a five digit rego number?

Illegal imports and false registration of these machines need to stop.

jimbream wrote:

I hope that from this tragedy,the authorities clamp down on high capacity motorbikes that are registered with dodgy plates.

Guess you haven't heard - they have just loosened up!

Any motorbike registered after 2011? has a five number plate(lower numbers,not the province number).

Licencing authorities switch to 5 digit numbers AFTER they have used up all the four digits. Some provinces are still issuing four digit plates in low population areas.

Identified...

The American man, Fluery Otavio Augusto Formigoni, 24, was driving a high-capacity motorbike on Dien Bien Phu Street towards the city's downtown when he collided with another bike driven by a local man on Dinh Tien Hoang Street.

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/specia … ivers.html

Is it just me, or does anyone else suspect that this "American" is really French (Corsican) or Italian. You'd have to grow up really tough in America to carry a moniker like "Fleury". Indeed, you'd have to be the meanest ice hockey player on the team.

lirelou wrote:

You'd have to grow up really tough in America to carry a moniker like "Fleury". Indeed, you'd have to be the meanest ice hockey player on the team.

Reminds me of Johnny Cash and 'A man called Sue'.

Fleury was the name of the town my French ancestors left to emigrate to America, and even I wouldn't stick that on a kid. Jean-Marie; Jean-Luc, Raoul, and perhaps Henri-Jean, but Fleury? Maybe over on the Francophone forum they're having better luck.

I wonder if this is him:

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/otavio-fleury/47/7b6/a12

If it is, it seems "Fleury" is his family name, and his given name is Otavio.  That would make sense given the Vietnamese reverse the order of those compared to westerners.

And, here's his Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/otavio.fleury

It's got to be him -- According to FB:  "Lives in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam"

Another data point:  "born March 27, 1990" -- in other words, 24 years old, like the news article says.

http://www.goprincetontigers.com/ViewAr … ID=1585298

Poor guy.  Former Princeton football player.  Had his whole life ahead of him.

Finally, "Born in Sao Paolo, Brazil".  No doubt had an American passport, though.

Okay, here he is:

http://www.thanhniennews.com/society/fo … 31705.html

Obviously he didn't learn too much at Princeton.

The CGST expect Foreigners to drive with better skills than Vietnamese which is why they, rightly IMO, come down on hard on bad Foreigner drivers.

It's these idiots that make it worse for the greater majority who remember they are guests in the country.

@DanFromSF (below)
As far as I am concerned it was self-inflicted. Just as with smokers, they are a dieing breed!

Example, yesterday I was driving my 4-wheel and after I had a green light a guy decided to run a red and he met the I-beam I use for bumpers. He fell off his wheels. He had that funny smile that VNese adopt when they have been caught doing a no-no and he knew he had gone through a red light.

THEN he expected me to help him up!

Same goes for the youth who ride at high speed without helmets, or text as they drive along.

Agreed.   I'm not going to go so far as to say he deserved to die, but considering his apparent stupidity, and the fact that he was warned by friends about his reckless behavior, I'm glad it was him and not a local.

Dan, one of these days I'll have to learn how to use facebook. Good sleuthing!

I only had a 90cc when I was in college, but in my forties I had a Yamaha 750cc. I always started out meaning to drive with the utmost care, but hey, I was jumping out of planes for a living. More than once I woke up in the early morning hours in a cold sweat, remembering curves I'd taken at night doing 85 or so. And I always swore I'd never do it again, but I would. Finally I came home one day and the wife had sold my bike. ANd every time I ever though of buying another one, she went through the roof. (Also made me stop jumping once I retired.)

This kid was 24. OK, he's an adult and I've buried younger kids. But still, I feel for his parents and close relatives. Fleury, a family name. (I believe the Brazilians put the paternal name second, contrary to the Spanish custom of placing it first.)

FYI... they were successful in bringing the body back to Illinois.  From his Facebook page:

TO ALL Otavio Fleury's FRIENDS:

Thank you for all your support in prayers and thoughts for Otavio and our family. Our family will never forget the many kind manifestations of support and want to share with each of you how comforting they are. Thank you very much!

Visitation for Otavio will be held from 4:00-8:00PM on Wednesday October 1, 2014 at Dieterle Memorial Home in Montgomery, IL 1120 South Broadway (630) 897-1196.
Additional Visitation will be held from 9:45AM until 10:45AM on Thursday October 2 at St. Patrick Catholic Church in Washington, IL (705 E. Jefferson St. (309) 444-3524), followed by a Funeral Mass 11:00AM.

Interment will be at Glendale Cemetery in Washington immediately after Mass.

We ask that no flowers be sent to either location but you may wish to make memorial contributions to the Otavio Fleury Memorial Fund c/o CEFCU (acc# 1387431-000 / ABA 271183701). Funds will go to his favorite charity in Vietnam for which he spent time fundraising in the past few months. The institution supports young kids in Vietnam and Cambodia to attend trade schools.

It would have been better to have cremated him here and shipped the cremation urn UPS to Chicago.

All those thousands of dollars to ship a body back that they can't even view (Customs and drugs). That would have been even a greater memorial to the deceased's name.

IMO elaborate funerals are for the living.

Yep.  Silly waste of time, money, and resources.

Snarky aside:  Pages and pages of people crying about how Otavio was "taken" from them too soon, without a single word of concern, remorse, or condolence for the two people he sent to the hospital.  One of them was a lottery ticket seller -- I'm sure he or she could have used donations far more than Otavio's favorite charity.

I would like to thank all those members who were able to unearth all the correct info on the accident and about Otavio, which was the motivating reason I made the initial post in the first place.
I had to leave the warmth of HCMC to be in cold Victoria Australia for 3 weeks and was unable to do further research myself.
Warm regards, Dirty Pierre..

"Agreed.   I'm not going to go so far as to say he deserved to die, but considering his apparent stupidity, and the fact that he was warned by friends about his reckless behavior, I'm glad it was him and not a local.
       DanFromSF "
There is nobody deserver to die. Someone just died and u said u glad cos it not local.The magazine could be wrong. No one driver big bike without wearing anything. Think abt He may fall and still survive but local don't care. They don't call the ambulance and try to steal all of him clothes and wallet ( that's why no personal paper ) what u can say with that???
Just stop [Moderated] proud on yourself and stop try to show it. Nobody care

Dear  Lucyle777,
Your diatribe makes no sense except it shows you have a poor comprehension of the English language and totally misunderstand what Dan was saying.
If you want to contribute to an English speaking forum learn to speak it coherently or dont comment at all.
Resorting to swearing at posters like you did exposes your ignorance and does you no favours.
Rant over, Dirty Pierre.

Lucyle777 wrote:

"Agreed.   I'm not going to go so far as to say he deserved to die, but considering his apparent stupidity, and the fact that he was warned by friends about his reckless behavior, I'm glad it was him and not a local.
       DanFromSF "
There is nobody deserver to die. Someone just died and u said u glad cos it not local.The magazine could be wrong. No one driver big bike without wearing anything. Think abt He may fall and still survive but local don't care. They don't call the ambulance and try to steal all of him clothes and wallet ( that's why no personal paper ) what u can say with that???
Just stop proud on yourself and stop try to show it. Nobody care

strong words from Lucyle777 there, with a bit of reality thrown in.

Lucyle777 wrote:

There is nobody deserver to die.

Exactly.  That's what I said.  Re-read it.

Someone just died and u said u glad cos it not local.

Yep.  I'm glad it was him and not a local.  He was the moron driving too fast.  He clipped two locals in the process and sent them to the hospital.  I doubt they had the privelege of going to Princeton, or travelling the world, that Mr. Fleury squandered.  And I'm glad it wasn't either of them that died.

The magazine could be wrong. No one driver big bike without wearing anything. Think abt He may fall and still survive but local don't care. They don't call the ambulance and try to steal all of him clothes and wallet ( that's why no personal paper ) what u can say with that???

Well that would be awful.  Can you prove that or are you just making excuses for this person's poor behavior?

[Moderated]

Hi everyone,

may I close this thread before it gets out of control ? or should I remove a few posts ?

Julien,

I'm okay with you removing posts.  I think the topic is worthwhile, and would hate to see it closed, however.

yep remove the bad language but the thread is viable.

DanFromSF
I'm sorry cos this morning I get out of control and say something not nice
There is someone just dead. We here to RIP him. Not for judge.or talk abt new business plan.It's doesn't matter him fault or another anymore. U not there when he fall and me too. I don't know who is he. All I know is never judge someone who just dead.
Sorry again
Have a good day
PS/ Julien u can remove my posted

Dear Julien,
The thread has been very enlightening and is a reminder to us all how vulnerable we are when riding a motorbike in Vietnam. I ride daily and I cant relax for one second while in the city traffic so at least once a month I head off into the back roads of the countryside just so I can enjoy riding.
I dont see the need to close this thread but you could clean up the posts that were inflammatory plus my response to that post.
Dirty Pierre

Lucy, thanks for apologizing.  No hard feelings.

I look at this issue differently than you do.  Certainly I think his death is tragic, but it would have been more tragic if he had killed an innocent bystander.  Foreigners are guests in Vietnam and should act accordingly.  Everybody makes mistakes (particularly if alcohol is involved) but it sounds like this person was warned by friends and shrugged it off, saying "you only live once".  If that's true, I'm not going to shed a tear for the guy.

http://www.thanhniennews.com/uploaded/thevinh/2014_09_26/syrianewfolder/of1_recommended_eoua.jpg?width=840

Read: Added info on accident from Thanh Nien

As the old adage goes: Speed kills!