Recliners

I know this is wierd but we're thinking we might have to ship a container to Cuenca just because since my beloved had bypass surgery he cannot sleep in a bed. He has been sleeping in his LaziBoy for 2 years. Whenever we go on vacation the poor guy just suffers through the nights. From everything I have found in my research your chance of finding a recliner is slim to none.

I'm sure we're not the only people who have had this problem since I personally know lots of recliner-sleepers here in AZ. What has your solution been? I'm open to just about any suggestion.

Short of a recliner solution has ANYONE had a good container experience? I keep hearing horror stories so I would love to hear at least one good story! Honestly, I would love to bring my "treasures" with me but not at the sake of my sanity.

Jacque Messer, we have a member here who knows and is in the business of international shipments, Mugtech.

But perhaps you don't realize that Ecuador in many ways can be considered an 'under developed' country, and that for someone with serious physical concerns such your husband, it may not be a good choice.

There are few accommodations for the disabled in Ecuador, and Cuenca is at an elevation of 8,000 feet. That's the elevation of the top of the Colorado Rockies. For someone suffering from serious heart problems are you sure moving to such a high elevation is a good idea? Have you thought this through?

Hi.. May i offer a couple  considerations?... Ecuadorians are wonderful craftsmen.. If you can show them exactly how to make smth.. They will make it for you. Not so difficult to find ecuadorians who help expats: look at rercommendations on gringo post.. Or make a post re furnituree maker.. U will find a contact before u even get here

Another thing,. Have you considered effects of high elevation on the body and specifically the heart?..

It would be wise to consult a good acupuncturist or better yet a doctor of chinese medicine.. They will explain to you exactly what i mean.. Western doctor most likely will not... In addition chinese medicine practitioner no doubt over a few months will improve your husbands condition so he can sleep comfortably in a regular bed... .. Presumably he may prescribe some chnese herbs... In Cuenca there is a place called Kasana... Find it on internet... They carry some hebal formulas.. If u find out which ones they carry your practitioner can adice you which formula may work well for your husband and then u have a local source of healing and supprt for him.. I am sure he will enjoy a peaceful night sleep in a proper bed :)
Kasanacorp dot com
Best

I'm sure OGA's advice is well meaning but as a health care professional for 30+ years (mostly western medicine) I would certainly consult my cardiologist regarding the concerns gardener has raised.. Also to be considered is the importance of knowing Spanish. in order to access medical, emergency or hospital care. Sounds like you might need private health insurance as well .. Pensionados  can access the the public health care system. Ecuador has a private and public health care system. Bypass surgery  for some  must  be repeated and the stress of the elevation and getting around would be much more of a concern than sleeping. The coastal areas  might seem more realistic but the health care available is relatively primitive by all reports. There was a blogger sometime back (a cardiac patient) who opted to move to Mexico for that reason) This part of Ecuador is more undeveloped. Maybe you could google Guayaquil a huge coastal city. Not sure I'm spelling it right.

Ms Sue... I raised the same concern... Elevation and effect on health. Western medicine most likely will not provide neither answers nor solutions. I too have extensive experience with western medicne.. Not a very positive one... Surgeries cause more problems that they resolve...and there are other ways of dealing with health issues.. But western medical professionals are not trained in them nor are they opened to other solutions that do not fund the Big Pharma

Anatomy and physiology are a fact whether you subscribe to Eastern or Western medicine. I am sorry in your extensive experience with Western medicine that you did not find it positive. The heart as you well know is a pump critical for every organ in the body and for this gentleman it is older, has already suffered serious infarction (tissue death because of lack of blood flow) if bypass surgery was done. To advise him to do anything other than to speak with his own doctor (western our eastern) is irresponsible as you nothing of his medical history. Bypass surgery  improves the quality and length of life for the patient who has suffered myocardial infarction and is not undertaken lightly. Perhaps  a Chinese doctor or acupuncturist could improve that even further though  probably best if they were in consultation with his current doctor. Neither one nor the other is better and not necessarily in opposition to the other as you portray them.  I do not know a thing about the gentleman's condition but  whatever his current doctor advises the elevation will be a factor and the course of treatment is a moot point for now.

[Moderated]

Any well trained acupuncturist or Dr of Oriental Medicine is trained to be integrative. With a serious condition.. When people take western medications an Oriental practitioner will always , always, always work with the treating Western Dr as a team... If they do not.. They can loose their license,

[Moderated: Off topic]

Actually not, just hate to see people getting bad info here. And the insults that you made are usually coming from people who are giving out bad info.

All quibbling aside, thanks for the advice and concern. My husband's cardiologist says his heart is in excellent condition. He had just developed some blokage over the years. And, who knows, perhaps in the future it may happen again. We'll deal with that as it arises. But he still isn't comfortable lying flat.

I had considered having a recliner build in EC but read a post saying the mechnisms were not available.

So back to my main question: Has anyone seen a place that sells recliners? Does anyone have a good shipping container experience?

Please and thank you!

Have you talked to him about your plans.? Cuenca's elevation? There are big furniture stores in the cities from what I've read here. Guess you'd have to do some googling. Everyone says they're expensive. Had you thought of a hospital bed. Ugly and maybe impossible to get or possible to do a thing with propping him up with firm pillows. You could try it now and see.

We have tried pillows but if he's in a bed he wants to roll over onto his stomach. That was his normal method of sleeping prior to the surgery. Now it hurts. I figure if the only place he has to sleep is a bed he will eventually adapt. Thanks for the suggestions. I do truly appreciate the help.

Not sure how accurate this is anymore, as it's now a few years old, but on the bottom where the comments are, there is a suggestion for a furniture store that has recliners. Again, don't know how accurate this information even is anymore, but could be what you are looking for if is still in business. By the way is the comment from Karen that has what you might need.

http://www.discovercuencaecuador.com/20 … uador.html

Before you go any further with plans might want to discuss with his doctor elevation issues. There are valleys near Cuenca that might be more tolerable. Don't know. Even people without  health issues can have a hard time

Whether you relocate outside the USA or not, you might consider trying regular beds with adjustable bases. I broke my spine in two places in an accident and could not sleep laying flat after surgery. I, too, slept in a recliner for nearly four years. Last February, I tried out a memory foam mattress on an adjustable base and can now sleep in a bed. These are not "hospital-style" beds, but are regular beds. Several manufacturers make bedroom-style units, TempurPedic & Sleep Number to name just two. When I move to Ecuador, that bed is coming with me!

Excellent suggestions! It is looking more and more like we'll be doing the container thing. I guess I could bring his recliner AND an adjustable bed and see what works for him. Truthfully, I've gotten used to not listening to him snore so I might just pack the recliner! (But don't tell him!)

suefrankdahl wrote:

Before you go any further with plans might want to discuss with his doctor elevation issues. There are valleys near Cuenca that might be more tolerable. Don't know. Even people without  health issues can have a hard time

Thanks for the concern. His cardiologist says his heart is actually quite healthy and he has had no trouble in Colorado at around 10,000' so I think he'll do just fine.

I do think after we get all of our official paperwork done we might consider Loja as our permanent home. It just seems like Cuenca is a good place to get started due to it's user-friendliness for expats. But the lower elevation and the smaller size of the town do make Loja appealing.

Sounds good

Ad from Gringo Post :

USA made rattan Stratolounger recliner for sale. Sits lower to the floor. Purchased at Casa Veijo three years ago for $250. Sell for $125. If interested, email me and I'll email pictures.

Brenda Eddy: [email protected]

Sorry. He needs it higher from the floor. But many thanks.

Jacque Messer wrote:

This post may get rejected due to the number of links, but using OLX (sort of like an Ecuadorian Craig's List), I found these. I'm sure you could find new and the major malls and shopping centers (e.g., Coral).

Cuenca:
http://cuenca.olx.com.ec/mueble-relax-i … yContainer

Guayaquil:
http://guayaquil.olx.com.ec/mueble-recl … -705674653http://guayaquil.olx.com.ec/sillon-masa … -705674352http://guayaquil.olx.com.ec/vendo-de-op … -688198862

Quito:
http://quito.olx.com.ec/butaca-reclinable-iid-690507881http://quito.olx.com.ec/butaca-reclinab … -684596217

Hope this helps.

symo

Hi, my name is Marian and this is a container experience advice from one recent Arizonan to another.
We arrived in Quito EC on June 13 this year and our container arrived on June 26. Trip started in Phoenix, on May 28, on to Long Beach, CA, Guyaquil for inspection and to Quito. The task was enormous, because it required to pack very thoroughly and we did it on a professional level ourselves, and writing a very detailed inventory list as to what is in every box, plus the LOOSE Items (TV, couch, table etc., just the number of items that could not be in boxes). Yes, tedious, scrupulous work, sometimes requiring packing-repacking, rewriting the list etc. Total cost of the shipment was $8400. There was no horror story involved. The shipping company was from Cuenca, called Relocation Services of Ecuador, with the owner Paul Wilches speaking excellent English, a person of utmost integrity, who is there thru the process to make it smooth and minimal stress for the customer. I found him thru multiple excellent referrals from other American expats.  I never regretted bringing my stuff from the Phx house. It took a 20' container, fully packed. A lot of expats recommend bringing 6 pieces of luggage, paying for the extra pieces and eventually traveling back to bring more stuff. Our 20 ' container delivered the couch, leather recliners, a dining set with 4 chairs, washer, dryer, refrigerator, the bed, the mattress, 400 lbs of clothing, mirrors, paintings, linens, pots and pans, decorative items, light fixtures, curtains, rods, on and on- a full household. When we unpacked and hung everything, it was like a miracle- our Phx house had landed in our Quito apartment, looking so cosy and familiar, it gave us a sense of being "at home" right away. If we had to shop and pay for everything that came here, it would have cost us much more money and would never be that quality, so, is it worth involving with container shipping? I would say a resounding YES, go for it, you will save money, maybe, get a little tired in the process, but you will not have to shop and shop to put together a household all over again.  the sense of comfort and convenience of having your household in place all at once is really worth it.  I know that RSE will be an excellent choice if you decide to go the route of bringing your household. Best of luck!.

rsymington wrote:
Jacque Messer wrote:

This post may get rejected due to the number of links, but using OLX (sort of like an Ecuadorian Craig's List), I found these. I'm sure you could find new and the major malls and shopping centers (e.g., Coral).

Cuenca:
http://cuenca.olx.com.ec/mueble-relax-i … yContainer

Guayaquil:
http://guayaquil.olx.com.ec/mueble-recl … -705674653http://guayaquil.olx.com.ec/sillon-masa … -705674352http://guayaquil.olx.com.ec/vendo-de-op … -688198862

Quito:
http://quito.olx.com.ec/butaca-reclinable-iid-690507881http://quito.olx.com.ec/butaca-reclinab … -684596217

Hope this helps.

symo

Thanks! I hadn't heard of OLX before. It's very exciting to have a new resource! Do you know if they are run by Craig's List or if they are an separate company? (Not that it really matters, I suppose.) Great info! Can't wait to go shopping!

Thanks for the replies!

Marian, Thank you more than I could ever say for your excellent information. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the detailed information rather than just a brief recommendation.

I know we will be starting a new life in a new country and that it will be a brand new start but I suspect that brand new start will be a bit more comfortable with a touch of home about me. We have no children to leave our "heirlooms" to and that thought of selling them to strangers bothers me a bit. It would be such a pleasure to enjoy them in our new home.

On another note, why did you choose Quito instead of Cuenca? I'm rather longing for a smaller city (more like Phoenix in my youth, size-wise) but Quito does seem lovely. How did you choose?

Thanks a million!

Jacque
[email protected]

Jacque Messer wrote:

Thanks! I hadn't heard of OLX before. It's very exciting to have a new resource! Do you know if they are run by Craig's List or if they are an separate company? (Not that it really matters, I suppose.) Great info! Can't wait to go shopping!

I don't believe there is any connection between Craig's List and OLX. Craig's List does have Ecuadorian listings, but they are pretty spotty.

I did not bring a container so can't comment on that.  However saw a furniture store at Mall del Rio yesterday that had several styles of recliners.  Wasn't looking for one so didn't inspect closely but they looked nice.  Good luck with your move
Cathie

You can purchase recliners in Guayaquil. The Colonial is the distributor for Lazyboy here. They have a web site
http://www.colineal.com/catalogo-de-pro … al-ecuador

Thanks. Do you know if they would deliver to Cuenca?

home in Salinas wrote:

You can purchase recliners in Guayaquil. The Colonial is the distributor for Lazyboy here. They have a web site
http://www.colineal.com/catalogo-de-pro … al-ecuador

Well done home in Salinas... I didn't eve give Colonial a thought. Here is the link to their locations. Appears there are 4 locations in Cuenca.

http://www.colineal.com/localesecuador.html

HTH

Check on Gringo post, some expats are going back home and are selling stuff. Another option is to put a free add in the gringo post paper, people had good success with buying items this way. /Also there is a Collineal store (I hope I spelled it right) I have seen recliners there. A smaller one is about $500.- and a real comfortable my friends bought is about $800.- much cheaper than to ship one. The one for $800.- is very large and comfortable and my friends bought 2 of them in sleep in them very comfortable
Good Luck, the Gemini Lady

I could use a recliner also here in Salinas, Ecuador. Pretty much the only way a can get my mother to visit. She also is a recliner sleeper!

Hi!  I, too, need a recliner and discovered PYCA carries them, although they sell out pretty fast!

Thanks! You guys are all terrific! I knew there had to be aswers out there. I was pretty darn sure that my beloved wasn't the only chair-sleeper in South America!