New members of the Sudan forum, introduce yourself here

Hi all,

Newbie on the Sudan forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Sudan if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hallo , eliza isaiah paul is my name . South sudanese by nationality and I am from western equatoria state of juba city. Graduate from Cavendish university in Uganda with a bachelor degree in PR  also I had certificate in human resources management and other further studies I studied.   I am still single . I worked before in Uganda and also in Juba while I was still a student. Hobbies reading , writing stories and sharing views and excepting others right . Skills , computer , excellent public speaking , negiation .This is a few background about me.

you are welcome

Hello folks,
I have been living in Sudan for almost 2 years, I live in Amart district, I've found that people are very friendly and nice and always ready to help for any reason.

Cheers.

Hey im florence from kenya.im 25 years.im a form four lever.before im working in Nairobi as a waiter.im leaving in kenya but i want to move there.

Hi All,

I am bala from india, friendly person, love to move well with different nationality ,looking forward to move to south sudan.

Please contact me.

Thanks & Regards

Bala

hi everyone...
Iam nidal,sudanese girl 24yrs,living in khartoum and portsudan,am study radiology here in khartoum at ribat unvirsity..am engening to someone from canad..hope to know pepole from canada ...i love to find work befor to finish my study so anyone find some work can tell me...

hello my name is samuel karanja iam a kenyan by birth i would like to move to southern sudan to work in a hotel because iam a hotelier by profession. iam a young dynamic kenyan aged 25years

[Moderated: Off topic.]

I am Liberty Mahlahla 34 years old male nurse , .

zimbabwean nationality working in zimbabwe , good interpersonnel skills , l am married . I would like to soialise with people of different nationality

Hello my dear friends, my name is Martha Ansah. Am a 30 year old professional Ghanaian teacher and I intend to move to Sudan and work there in order to support my aging father and 3 siblings. My dear friends, please help me find a place to reside and a job so that I can pay for my accommodation and help take care of my family back in Ghana. Thanks so much.

Welcome my friend.am in united Arabs emirate here my email [email protected]

I have been in Sudan for seven good years,if you want to visit Sudan you highly welcome.my email is know

Hello everyone,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Just a quick reminder that this thread is ONLY for the new members to introduce themselves. If you have any other topic that you would like to talk about, I suggest creating a new thread on the Sudan forum to avoid being off-topic here.

@ Martha Ansah >  Please note that the appropriate sections for your search are the Housing in Sudan and Jobs in Sudan section. I suggest that you post ads in these sections respectively.

Thank you,

Shaazia
Expat.com Team

Thanks Shaazia, correction well noted.

Hello everybody am danny from south sudan but my mum from el rebate  , we are moving to sudan by next month ,actually I don't know what to do there .it my first time to visit so is going to be not easy for me cause no friends , so wad was wondering if there is any good thing that I can do there as a tourist

I am isaias  and i married .I am business management graduate in eritrean and living in sudan for the  Search work in sudan in the city of kartum .and I worked
For seven years in the department of management in eritrean .

Hi Danielle,

If you are not affraid to drive, you can visit the pyramids in Meroe. It is 3 to 4 hours drive from Khartoum, and it is very beautiful. To enjoy the place as it deserves, I would suggest you to spend one night there; you will see the sunset and the sunrise, very beauiful.
If you prefer the sea, Port Sudan is a beautiful destination, and you have the opportunity to go diving there!

Bye,

Jerome

to Kuuks, my dear teacher from Ghana im Dovoli my email is [email protected] and i live in khartoum for about 2 years. i don't know about the economic status of Ghanaian but  here in Sudan only if yu find a big good private school yu can support yr family. if yu need more infos just email me.

hii am Lenny 4rm kenya,am working in Cofftea company in khartoum, i would like 2 meet ma fellow kenyans who are here in sudan.with thhx.

I am from Croatian and for 1 month coming to live in Khartoum, where my brother lives. :)
I was born in Port Sudan but from childhood I live in Croatia. Now I'm moving permanently in Khartoum and begin a new life.
I can not wait to get to know a new culture and new people!  :thanks::gloria:D

i'm glad to to join you, i live in sudan, abig country in africa, i am seeking for job in Oman to improve my life

I am  Interested in food security and livelihoods opportunities in South Sudan. I have a vast experience in working with international NGO's  on IDP's, PLWHA's,Education Assistance, Food security and livelihoods, nutrition, WASH and community development.

Edgarshumba wrote:

I am  Interested in food security and livelihoods opportunities in South Sudan. I have a vast experience in working with international NGO's  on IDP's, PLWHA's,Education Assistance, Food security and livelihoods, nutrition, WASH and community development.

This is the Sudan forum.

Hi my new friend Danny
My name is Sayed and I live in Sudan Al Khartoum

yes Welcome to Sudan my friend and here I can guide you ... there are alot of interesting places here and international hotels and shopping  centera . Sudan is so lovely country

tibrizid wrote:

I am from Croatian and for 1 month coming to live in Khartoum, where my brother lives. :)
I was born in Port Sudan but from childhood I live in Croatia. Now I'm moving permanently in Khartoum and begin a new life.
I can not wait to get to know a new culture and new people!  :thanks::gloria:D

You are welcome, and you will find the people here are humble and nice.. do not hesitate if you need any help

cheers

Hello friends, I am a French Canadian residing in the UK and moving to Khartoum end of this month to take up a new job. This is going to be my first encounter with Sudan. Having met Sudanese people in Europe and North America, I am very much interested to learn the culture and the language. I would like to meet good people from Khartoum. Please feel free to get in touch and welcome me to your country.

Hi there,
Today  is my first working  day in Sudan. People are friendly and kind. I  am looking forward to a wonderful stay in Sudan.

Welcome and wish you a pleasant stay :)

assalamulikom
I'm new in sudan forum I want to know you.
I am agricultural engineer I have 16 years experience I would like to leave sudan who is rady to help my wife is Gp doctor 9years experience also want to leave.

Best regards
Alameldeen

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Your post is off-topic

I am a qualified and graduate teacher from Zimbabwe and a holder of a Bachelor of Science with Education fron the University of Zimbabwe. I have  14 years of experience teaching biology at both ordinary and advanced level.
I wish to move to Sudan if the are prospects for teaching.

hie expats in Sudan l am a nursing graduate seeking employment as a nurse in Sudan but still living in Zimbabwe

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : you are off topic, this topic has been created for introduction of new members only

Hi All,
Great to find this place in the virtual world. I will be moving to Khartoum to work in a couple of weeks. I am from Canada and live in a small town about 30 mins from Toronto. Weather is the best you can have in the world a this point of time but slowly winter will set in and it will be all white....

Please advice me about a place to rent so that I can work in Musherib. I will need a studio or a 1 bed room at the most. Parking may be required. I do not know at this point whether it is worth buying a car. Hope I will be able rent something.

So how is life, grocery, weekends, security, general weather, work culture, power supply, tv programs, cell phone, banking etc.. etc.. Asked a lot of questions in one line. Sorry about that. Let's first start with a good place to rent...

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Cheers!

Hi,

for sure in Sudan you are not going to see any snow at any time of the year but everywhere sand.....

I have never heard about this place "Musherib" ..... Is it in Khartoum ???

Take my advice if this place is in Khartoum otherwise throw it the bin !!!

Houses, apartments are often huge and will be difficult to find something small like studio or 1 bedroom...
You will find often from 2/3 badrooms because families are big....
Buying a car??? It depends how long are you going to stay and for which organization you are working for....
However for the first time you will be able easly to rent a car, there are severals rentcars in Khartoum the price should be around 30usd per day for a small car like Hyundai Accent year 2009 just to get you an idea...

Life for new people here could be boring... Weekends quite slows... Your new colleague will adress you to places like restaurants and bars... Anyway there are not a lot.... For sure they will talk to you about OZONE very famous place in Kharoum where you can meet expats it is a kind of Bar/Restaurant..... Contact your Embassy as soon as you arrive they for sure can get you info about events and they also organize some of them....

About Security there are not problems at all.... for now...

You can compare the weather like a Hell.... However from Nov - Feb should be better... But still 30/33 degree

Grocery, everywhere, little one from the street to the big one in supermarkets.... just not a big variety.

Power supply, of course the house need "generator" because shortage of eletricity but most houses have it already installed....

Tv Programs, normaly, if you do not install your antenna you will find already the antenna directed on "Nile Sat" where you can watch all news BBC-CNN-ALJAZERA-FRANCE24-CCTV and 2 or 3 channels for films.... If you want more you can just install a decoder named "BEING" many stores around Khartoum sell it... but I do not know the price.....

Cell Phone, I think there are 3 or 4 companies for mobile phones all good....

Banking, forget about it.... Don't forget that you won't be able to receive money from outside (trasfer Bank) NO credit cards, NOTHING. So bring with you all money that you need....

Any other info just write and I will let you know as soon as possible

Thanks a lot Mr.Bucks for a detailed response. They say Musherieb is near the confulence of the two Niles . I checked in the map and it is not very far from the airport. They are going to build a huge commercial complex and high-end resedential apartments.
If the banks are not available and cards are not accepted then how do you do the transaction ..just cash? and how much cash (is it USD or local cash) one should have for a month (just an average ball park figure for one adult).

thanks in advance

Hi,

ah ok, maybe is that one funded by Qatar ???? They are spending a lot of money here buying and building e nobody knows why.....

Anyway, banks are available, banks are everywhere in Khartoum but there are NO transaction IN or OUT the country and do not even think about to deposit any cash into banks....

How much cash???

So, lets say when you arrive where are you going to sleep??? I mean from your arrive to the day that you will find a house....I suppose Hotel... or you have a friend who give to hospitality ????
More or less the hotel costs here from 100USD to 300USD per night... you can also find resideces that rent you a little apartment 30mq with kitchen (studio) for 800/1000 per month.... but only for short term, maybe 1 or 2 months...
Car, you need a car if your company won't provide you one... avarage 250sdgx30days= 7500sdg (750USD)

When you have found the house usually they ask you 3 / 6 or 12 months (go for 6 months for a better price..) in advance plus deposit (usually price is 1 month rent...) the avarage price for apartment is around 800/1000 USD you can find for less.... if you want to sleep in place in really bad condition or dog house...
so, 1000x6months+1000deposit= 7000USD

Food, lets say for one person around 500USD per month....

Bills, elettricity, water, are really cheap.... there are not influent

Cell phone, calls and limited internet package (unlimited cost a little bit more...) without calling outside Sudan 20USD month ...

Do not think you will be able to leave the country after 1 month.. I mean to regularize your stay takes time...
It is not easy for me to explain to you...

All this depends if you are going to be paid here cash (do not accept local currency only USD or EURO...) and if this is the case you don't need much otherwise you should take with you at least 15.000usd... for all I said above...

How long are you going to stay ????

Thanks Mr. Bucks,
the information is really helpful. Yes, this is the place funded by Qatar. I am planning to be there for very long time (5 years or so) if everything goes OK. 15K USD is too much to carry and I really do not have that kind of money. Surely I will talk to the compay to provide initial accomodation till I find something. Please advice me on the location that will be good to stay so as to commute to the work place (if possible without  a car). Any local web site of good realestate guys who can provide good rental property will be helpful. As you know I am looking for a small but good accomodation. I mean it could be just a room+kitchen+washroom but in good locality, well connected and with high power internet. 6 month advance rent is the killer. Is there any way around it? I mean do they negotiate or it is the standard term?
Thanks for your time and help.

Ok,

this is a good thing because with 5 years you can negotiate a better price....

You really need to understand what the company is going to provide you...
I mean, are they going just to pay you your base salary???
Be sure that will be high enough to cover all expense plus a little saving otherwise why are you coming for ????

Is not possible to live in Khartoum without car especially for the first time that means you will take taxi every time to and from work, to buy food for everything the good thing is there are tons here and for short distance also cheap... but to live like this will be hard.

I don't know much about that area I can't even advice where to buy food... For sure there will be small stores where to buy basic food... 

There are NO website about real-estate agencies... There are around kind of broker...

High power internet... Forget about it I mean forget what you have at home now....

In this situation you have to ask to the company to provide accomodation for the first time until you find you own place otherwise it will be very expensive and difficult....
After work you will go around with the broker and he will show you what is available on the market... They will push you to pay 6 months or 1 year in advance but you can refuse... I think they won't go down then 3 months but you can try.....

Sorry if ask.... Are you coming alone ??? No colleagues ??? No contacts at all in Khartoum ??? The company for you are going to work is reliable ????

Closed