Ferry Service HCMC to Vung Tau

Is the old hydrofoil service back up and running from HCMC to Vung Tau ?
There was talk of a new service not using the old hydrofoils starting up,any news on this service?

Thanks in advance
bruce

Bruce Casey wrote:

Is the old hydrofoil service back up and running from HCMC to Vung Tau ?
There was talk of a new service not using the old hydrofoils starting up,any news on this service?

Thanks in advance
bruce

Apparently it is according to their website: http://www.vinaexpress.com.vn/index.php … on=booking

The service is under maintenance ! So far I know that it is abandoned due to an accident last year. Greenlines company has made great effort to build up some new ferries and they say that their service will be available at this Sept.

But I think they will have to deal with our government for months to have their new ferries working !  :huh:

UNLESS they have found an alternative route, there are no ferries, my office window looks out over the river and I can see even small boats.

The new boats I saw being tested are hulled vessels, not hydrofoils. The old hydrofoils were mainly repurposed ex-Russian torpedo boats and unsafe at any speed.

Nice to see HCM City enforcing safety regulations, now they need to teach boat captains what the purpose of the Plimsoll Line is!

Jaitch, interesting point on the Plimsoll Line. I knew of the (obvious) concept but never knew about the plimsoll line. Thanks for that.

I take it you've moved down from Ban Me Thuot / Buon Ma Thuot?

lirelou wrote:

I take it you've moved down from Ban Me Thuot / Buon Ma Thuot?

I commute. Weekdays in HCM and weekends in Fresh Air Country (BMT). Remember, I have a house, office and hotel in BMT - and I spend weekends doing gardening and maintenance!

I am on a first name basis with many of the air crew now! (That's when I don't drive)

Someone also needs to teach the river boat skippers about navigation lights and the necessity for them. I spent six months navigating the various rivers of the Mekong Delta and we gave up night work altogether after a couple of weeks of near misses with unlit boats and barges travelling at night.