Transporting Cats

Hello, if anyone has used a professional company to transport thier pets to Ecuador (especially cats) please give me your experience and/or recommendations.

Hi,

You can try to find some info on these links:
http://www.lan.com/es_ec/info_viajes/in … cotas.htmlwww.lordguau.com/servicios/traslado-int … nal‎

By the way I had not used any of those companies for pet transport. Maybe someone else can give you more details.

I've traveled with cats all over the world, who doesn't?  ;)

In general, you need a current health certificate from the vet, and everywhere absolutely proof of rabies shots.

(All of which is utterly meaningless as the destination country pet immigration officials are never able to read the language of the origin country documents. But you must have them anyway. I have saved the Chinese exit visas for our cats as a homage to meaningless bureaucracy.)

The best way to move the cat is to take the pet on the plane with you. Most airlines allow two under-seat pets in the cabin per flight. Reservations for the pet must be made in advance and there is a fee of usually about $100.

The pet carrier must be of dimension fit under under your airline seat (each airline has its own specifications, normally spelled out very carefully on their website.). The best kind of pet carrier for this purpose is a soft sided cat carrier because they can be squished to fit in anywhere. Once the plane takes off you can rearrange things.

Cats will usually just sleep quietly for the flight. Some people choose to medicate their animals to keep them docile.

It really isn't hard at all.

But you will need a leash for the cat because when you go through airport security the cat must be removed from the carrier and goes through security with you. This is freaked-out-cat-around the-neck-time when the cat should be leashed. The pet carrier goes through the x-ray. machine.

gardener1 wrote:

Cats will usually just sleep quietly for the flight.

Oh yeah, that sounds totally legit.

Great info, because I'll be taking my cat and my dog as well.  Thank you.

Hilarious response.  My walt will scream from the time I put him in the car to at least 24 hours after we land in vilcabamba. That,s why I am going with pet transport. :D

I'm not sure which response was so hilarious?

If it was mine, glad to provide you with a good laugh while some pet transport company picks your pocket for thousands $$.

I just tried to help as I have hauled cats from US>Russia>China>US.

But what the hell would I possibly know? Enjoy your guffaw.

My we are sensitive. The whole idea of my cat sleeping peacefully is hilarious.  Not only that but he is not a normal little cat. He weighs 16 pounds and is about 20 inches long. The idea of trying to squeeze him into a carrier small enough to fit under a seat is also hilarious if not downright cruel. Also, I am bringing two cats and hauling them both around with luggage is too onerous for me. Better for them and me to be
handled by a reputable company.  Worth every penny. But, hey what do I know?

Gardner1, I'm so sorry this post got a bit ugly. I truly appreciate your insight as we plan on bring our 2 cats (a.k.a. "the fur family") with us. We're planning on going with American Airlines because their pet policies sound the best so far. Do you have experience with them or with any other airlines I should know about?

Thanks for the info about collars & leashes. No one has mentioned that before. I guess we're going to need some practice with that. The girls haven't worn collars since they were babies! And speaking of practice, I thought it might be a good idea to put them in their carriers and just take them on some car trips. This whole thing is going to be a new experience for them!

Something no one has mentioned is what to do if your kitty has an "oopsie" while traveling. Nature does call, after all. Obviously we can't put a litter box in their carriers or even in our carry-ons. What do you do?

And not that we're crazy or anything, but we thought we'd rent a car and drive to Florida from AZ so the girls only have to do a 5-hour flight rather than a 10-hour one. (It's not entirely for the kitties - We hate flying as well!)

I know the furry ones will complicate this move but they are family and I wouldn't dream of leaving them behind or putting them in the hands of a stranger to move them half-way around the world.

I just did this. It worked out well. I used a pet transport company in Vancouver Canada and was very impressed. Email to me and I will give you the whole story :top:

Sorry. I'm not very computer savvy.... How do I get your email address?

[email protected]

Thanks. I'll email you this afternoon.

Talk to the supervisor for Copa.  Take the early AM flight.  They allowed us to bring 3 cats in approved carriers with the vet check, shots and USDA papers.  Copa Airlines rock with animals.  They don't do the bs that United and the others do.  :-)