Buying a house in Indonesia?

Im planning to buy a house in Indonesia.  What are the process involved? Do you need to have a citizen or anyone can buy it?  Thank you in advance

It's all explained in the sticky thread at the top of the page. :)

Legally foreigners can't buy property/land in Indonesia. However leasehold options are available through big developers such as Agung Sedayu Group and Sinarmas.

who said a foreigner can't buy a property?

because we just did it, my man, an Australian, just bought a house in central Jakarta.

actually, there are some kinds of rights over land ownership, to what I know, rights of ownership (hak milik), building rights on land (hak guna bangunan), cultivation rights on land ( hak guna usaha), and rights of use (hak pakai).

when a foreigner wants to buy a property, that person needs to transfer the rights, from the rights of ownership to the rights of use.
1 term of rights of use is for 15(or 25,i don't really remember)years, which is can be extended to the 2nd term for the next 10 years.

and how about after the 2nd term over? that foreigner needs to sell the property on hand over it to Indonesian citizen.

but I strongly suggested to consult the lawyer that are expert in Indonesian property ownership to understand the legal status of the ownership.
or maybe you can consult the lawyer who
helped us during the process...

good luck!!!

A foreigner can't own land in Indonesia.
He/she can rent it, lease it, buy an apartment in a block, but they can't own the land.

Other than that, if you're Indonesian, your spouse can own land, but only if you have a prenup stating the foreign half of the marriage has no ownership of the land the couple buys.

I didn't say we bought a bloke of land... we bought a house..

using "the rights of use" means the country still own the land but we have the rights to use it...

aabie ryan wrote:

I didn't say we bought a bloke of land... we bought a house..

using "the rights of use" means the country still own the land but we have the rights to use it...

But the house is located on a piece of land! You can not buy the house and not buy the land.

I am Indonesian married to an American, my sister married a Dutch. Both her and my husband are Lawyers (so does my sister) I used to own house in Jakarta, Bali, a restaurant in Bali, all under my name.
My sister own one luxurious one in Pakubuwono Apartment now, also must be under her name. And we both can't change our KTP, still say that we are single. I sold all my properties in Indonesia 10 years ago (I am now US Citizen)

well..you are all welcome to come to me and let me show you the papers..

:-)

I believe you.  :)

thanks, Luke...
Hehehe...

well...better believe in The Ultimate Power tho' than in me

;-)

What Duracell?

lukereg wrote:

What Duracell?

I love rabbit stew.

and then the admin will say

"stop it, three of you!! you are outta topic..he wants to buy a property..not a duracell..moreover the rabbit stew.."

*eh...

Clearly not fans of rabbit stew then.

lukereg wrote:

Clearly not fans of rabbit stew then.

I haven't had it in years.
My dear departed dad used to buy rabbit from the local butchers, and mum would stick them in stew - delicious.

The Butchers, Wood's, would hang them in a row outside his shop; just like this..

http://www.moma.org/explore/inside_out/inside_out/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/combo21.jpg

is it legal to a foreigner to buy rabbits in Indonesia or they need to HIDE 'em as well...

eehh..lawyers??

**oh,no...not again,Aab...

having the right to use it doesn't mean u bought a house ..even a nominee..is unlawfull..but put up with.if married to an Indo u will give her or him the rights to own..in a pre-nup..Indonesia is a mess concerning property...too much corruption.
I just sold 240 are of land and my nominee passed away..Just get good advice.and a good notery.cheers.

Nothing says home like rotting animal carcasses hanging in a strorefront window.

Yes, you need indonesian person that you can trust or ask if you can use his or her name, there is another document beside certificate paper for a land or a house you own, which is clearly put you as owner, and the person you choose for is only for name, and he or she have no any right for your property. i had experience in the past, and i knew a good lawyer that can help you for it. If you need further information.

Cynray, I'm sorry, but your advice is completely wrong.  There is no way a foreigner can own land in Indonesia, nor will the Hak Milik (land deed) ever be issued in a foreigner's name.  Moreover, the use of an Indonesian nominee to purchase land on behalf of a foreigner is not considered legal.

Leasing is the only safe way for a foreigner to secure the use of land here either for use to build a residence, or a business. 

Furthermore, the use of a notaris (notary) is not sufficient to protect the legal rights of any foreigner in entering a contract regarding land.  It is essential that an attorney is also involved.  A notaris cannot argue a legal challenge made against the contract in a court of law…only an attorney can do that, and attorneys are bound to defend the contracts they draft on behalf of their clients…be they foreign or local.