Renting a car for a vacation trip around Costa Rica & into Panama

I'm planning an 8-10 day trip for my wife and I (around the beginning of 2015) to check out Costa Rica as a possible retirement location. I'd like to rent a car, and travel along the western coast, but also would like to visit the David, Panama area as well.

Would they allow me to cross into Panama with a rented vehicle for a few days, or is there a better option?

We'll be flying into San Jose, and I'd like to experience city and rural life on our trip. If we find what we're looking for we'll look at moving next summer.

Any suggestions on what to see, where to stay (motels- bed/breakfast) etc or other contacts would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance to the members here at the Expat.com!

Richie

No, you can't take a rental vehicle across the border.
When entering Panama you are required to show a ticket out of that country, and $500 each. Tickets to leave from Costa Rica is not acceptable.

Richintucson wrote:

I'm planning an 8-10 day trip for my wife and I (around the beginning of 2015) to check out Costa Rica as a possible retirement location. I'd like to rent a car, and travel along the western coast, but also would like to visit the David, Panama area as well.

Would they allow me to cross into Panama with a rented vehicle for a few days, or is there a better option?

We'll be flying into San Jose, and I'd like to experience city and rural life on our trip. If we find what we're looking for we'll look at moving next summer.

Any suggestions on what to see, where to stay (motels- bed/breakfast) etc or other contacts would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance to the members here at the Expat.com!

Richie

Hi Richie,

You'll find that insurance restrictions on rental vehicles mean that they cannot leave the country.  However, if you contact the rental company, they should be able to arrange car rental from the border for you with a sister company. 

Perhaps you could give a few clues as to what you and your wife are looking for in your retirement.  Beach life or perhaps a cooler climate in the mountains, to immerse yourselves in local culture or live with other ex-pats, to be away from it all or in close proximity to amenities.  I think if you can specify a few points that you require, it will help to narrow down possibilities.  A vague idea of budget is also helpful. 

Have a great time exploring!

Hello Sarain Cahuita:
I think there are several things we are looking for. We enjoy some seclusion, but would like to be close enough to services like food markets, a hospital, and having the option of meeting other expats. My wife enjoys the beach, although if it would require a drive of 30-50 minutes to get there we could live with that.

One thing I'm somewhat focused on is being in a microclimate where the humidity is lower than other areas.

Our budget is around $1500 per month--and that assuming my wife isn't able to do any work because of immigration restrictions. She is TEFL certified, and I am a musician-keyboardist, so I'm thinking we might do some side projects if they become available.

We also have 2 yellow labs that are 1 and 3 yrs old.

I wanted to check out David, because I've seen youtube info on that area as well as Boquette.
I'm retired and in good health, and my wife is 49 and in okay health also.

So ultimately, I think we don't want to live in the big city--i.e. San Jose but a smaller area with some amenities available.

Thanks for your interest, and I look forward to your comments.
Richie

Richintucson wrote:

Hello Sarain Cahuita:
I think there are several things we are looking for. We enjoy some seclusion, but would like to be close enough to services like food markets, a hospital, and having the option of meeting other expats. My wife enjoys the beach, although if it would require a drive of 30-50 minutes to get there we could live with that.

One thing I'm somewhat focused on is being in a microclimate where the humidity is lower than other areas.

Our budget is around $1500 per month--and that assuming my wife isn't able to do any work because of immigration restrictions. She is TEFL certified, and I am a musician-keyboardist, so I'm thinking we might do some side projects if they become available.

We also have 2 yellow labs that are 1 and 3 yrs old.

I wanted to check out David, because I've seen youtube info on that area as well as Boquette.
I'm retired and in good health, and my wife is 49 and in okay health also.

So ultimately, I think we don't want to live in the big city--i.e. San Jose but a smaller area with some amenities available.

Thanks for your interest, and I look forward to your comments.
Richie

Hello again,

Many people find the humidity of sea level too much, but it can be quite hard to find a place high enough to be removed from it, yet close enough to the beach for an afternoon out.  There is a growing ex-pat community between San Isidro de General and Dominical that might suit your needs.  You are away from the humidity, still near the beach and Sa isidro is an authentic market town with facilities without being a big city. 

Another place that springs to mind is Atenas.  Again, there is already an established ex-pat community living in the comfortable temperature--I think the town was described as having the best climate in the world by Nat Geo.  You are fairly close to San Jose, although the nearest beach is still further away than you'd want, it has a lot going for it. 

I can't help with David except to say that Panama would be better for your budget as it is cheaper to live there.  You certainly have enough to live on if you live like locals (no peanut butter, but lots of rice and beans!).  As you correctly assume, working will be difficult without papers and TEFL is no longer enough, as the teaching market is filling up with qualified Costa Ricans and ex-pat English teachers with papers.  However, private classes may well be an option to boost your income.  I came here years ago on a teaching contract and the requirements have become much stricter although the salaries remain terrible!

You will find lots of information is available for bringing dogs here, but do be aware that there are many dangers for domestic animals--snakes, toads and a number of parasites can cause serious illness or even death.  Not to put a dampener on your plans but do be aware of the risks. 

Happy to help!

$1500 is a decent amount to live on, if you can find accommodation that suits you. Are you intending to apply for residency as a Pensionado which requires  a guaranteed pension of a minimum of $1000 (which is not enough to live on) or Rentista which requires a substantial financial commitment? Residency info here You must be a legal resident to participate in the healthcare system.

I would also recommend the Sam Ramon area which is a bit cheaper than other parts of the Central Valley, it has all the amenities and is an hour or so to the beach, also a couple hours to Arenal area with hot springs and beautiful volcano views, waterfalls, lakes etc, lots of Nature around San Ramon area too - more so than some other Central Valley areas.

As to Panama we had the same idea as you and what we did was take the bus down to the border crossing near San Vito, walk across there and take a bus from there to David where we rented a car. If you cross near San Vito be SURE to get your passport stamped. it's a little confusing there and you might miss that part of it if you're not careful, it's not a "normal" border crossing; i.e. signs etc are not real good.

We had heard about Boquete and Volcan. Went to Volcan and hated it. Super windy there and not much to recommend it IMHO. YMMV.

Panama does not have the "feeling" Costa Rica has - it seems more Americanized, has better infrastructure which is the one good thing but also cops are always stopping you to check your ID etc which I found rather annoying and disturbing.

David is a weird town (to me). It's "big" yet has nothing to recommend it really. I mean it's boring.

Prices were cheaper in Panama for hotels, food etc, I'll give it that.

Overall we were not impressed with Panama so we bought property near San Ramon Costa Rica and have a few lots for sale there because we subdivided our property - it was too big for just us.

Though it is illegal I believe that in the musicians community you could get away with making some $ playing music. But then again it would be a risk and they can kick you out of the country for 10+ years, if you get caught.  Speak with a residency attorney, maybe there are tricks or ways to get around this.

If you decide to visit San Ramon and Arenal I can give you some recommendations. PM me.

Both ...based on my own limited experience when visiting friends...areas around San Ramon and  Arenal are seasonally 'very humid' often with low lying fog. Check out the rainfall map of Costa Rica
Friends of ours who play music at the beach, may receive a couple of drinks on the house and tips are few and far between. When we have attended their 'performances' no tips were added to their pot. Most expats don't go out much in the evenings.
San Ramon is known for their free English Conversation classes.
Atenas, has many expats,which I have been told makes many items more expensive.
I think expecting to live on $1500, and renting a home, household expenses, running a car, paying mandatory CAJA fees would put your proposed budget to the test.

I did also forget to mention that yes, pretty much ALL areas of Costa Rica are humid! Except for Guanacaste area in the northwest, which is much less so. Some parts of San Ramon are however less humid than other areas of Costa Rica.

Cost of living is going up pretty much everywhere in the world, Costa Rica is no exception.

Hello Sarain:
It's now only about a week before we visit CR, and flying into SJO next Tuesday evening. We're planning on staying in San Jose until Thursday morning, and then renting a car to explore. We are thinking of heading west to the beach area, and staying a day or two at a place, then packing up and driving more south for the same.
We don't really know anyone in CR, so any tips or advise you have would be very welcome.
Thanks,
Rich

My big tip would be to book the car now as it is a busy time of year and the better agencies will sell out.  Ditto hotel reservations.  Try Manuel Anotnio/Quepos and then down to Dominical on the coast road and back to SJO on the Pan American highway to see the area better.

Richintucson wrote:

Hello Sarain:
It's now only about a week before we visit CR, and flying into SJO next Tuesday evening. We're planning on staying in San Jose until Thursday morning, and then renting a car to explore. We are thinking of heading west to the beach area, and staying a day or two at a place, then packing up and driving more south for the same.
We don't really know anyone in CR, so any tips or advise you have would be very welcome.
Thanks,
Rich

Just a note on car renting in Costa Rica.
Its very expensive - ridiculously so - but I advise getting FULL coverage because quite frankly it's a fairly dangerous place to drive what with giant potholes, muddy rodes, limbs down in the road and other obstacles you have to watch out for not to mention trucks passing towards you in your lane.

Don't want to scare you from doing it, but it's better to be aware than unaware of the dangers imho.

Also you may have a credit card that covers your insurance but be aware that this coverage usually does NOT include anything that happens on an unpaved road and many roads in Costa Rica are unpaved - thus the need for full coverage.

Also be aware that if you are in any accident you do NOT move your car off the road, until police get there, not even if 30 cars are blocked on the road behind you. You must wait for the police to get there! Also take photos of everything you can including taking photos when you rent the car to show any dings or dents or problems with the car.

You're not in Kansas any more! ;-D

That said, driving is a great way to see Costa Rica. Stop and smell the coffee beans! Take it slow and enjoy the views!

old post but WRONG  !!
Many if us Live in that amount , quite well thank you BUT we do not  drink , Maybe that would deplete  the budget  :)  and we are Vegetarian,  Carnivors will pay more for meat Remember those in this site only voice  THEIR opinions and can NOT speak for all of us no matter How  Hard they try :)

pebs wrote:

old post but WRONG  !!
Many if us Live in that amount , quite well thank you BUT we do not  drink , Maybe that would deplete  the budget  :)  and we are Vegetarian,  Carnivors will pay more for meat Remember those in this site only voice  THEIR opinions and can NOT speak for all of us no matter How  Hard they try :)

Pebs it would help if you'd use the QUOTE button so we knew which post you are referring to.

I could be wrong... but I don't think a car rented in Costa Rica can be taken into Panama.

sorry I have no idea what the quote button does.. where is it?  oh I see it LOL I will give it a go'''

samramon wrote:

I did also forget to mention that yes, pretty much ALL areas of Costa Rica are humid! Except for Guanacaste area in the northwest, which is much less so. Some parts of San Ramon are however less humid than other areas of Costa Rica.

Cost of living is going up pretty much everywhere in the world, Costa Rica is no exception.

Old post I know but for other visitors please note I HATE humidity so moved where there IS NONE (unlike  our beach areas )_ We live in the mountains of Heredia  just 4km from San Rafael de Heredia.

Gorgeous fresh air but  NOT cold, as can be a little  further North of San Rafael ,  ( and in Cartago )
We enjoy Springlike temperatures averaging 80 degrees F  Year  round.
Drive around Concepcion and surrounding areas... Heaven for those who enjoy fresh warm non humid air.