Moving to Malta - this is IT!

robpw2 wrote:

when we went we were told we needed a work contract or form of engagement this was june 2014,

That's strange, they did not asked for me and my wife last year and just about 2 months ago, my sister also got it while still looking for a job.

Rawbiz wrote:

Thanks, only asking this as I am getting 1000 different info from places. My HR contact wrote for example the following:

"You will need to obtain a Social Security Number and a Tax number once you arrive in Malta. These are relatively easy to obtain, as you just need your contract, ID and local address in Malta."

That's fair enough, unless the requirements have changed recently. With me, my sister and my wife, none of that was requested.

yes it is really easy you walk in the office give them your contract and id ( passport or id card )they take your address and give you two letters with you social security number on , you give one to your employer and keep the other , it takes a few minuites .. the hr dept will then use this number to sort out paying your contributions and your tax ..

this was qawra office we went to , the security were not letting people in the door unless they had correct documentation

Oh well, welcome to Malta, different places have different rules. I did it in Mellieha at the council office and it took me 15 mins to get it done.

took us about the same , its pretty quick they just took copies of everything and hey presto number printed

Realisation 12 hours before my flight leaves: 30 years of my life fits into a 30kg bag :O

Superexcited, and thanks for the help so far. Guess I will post as soon as I get settled tomorrow. .

bon voyage for tommorrow , i know how nerver racking it will be :)  look forward to hearing how things went

So sitting here in the BK in Sliema absolutely exhausted and sweating buckets. Anyone around for something later?

welcome to malta :) i hope you find something to do later :)

Thanks! Found an appt today. Not the best one, but it will do for the time. So hot here it is unreal, and I haven't even had time to go to the beach! Moving out of this sh*thole I rented on Monday, can't wait.

Glad to hear you're getting things sorted! Welcome to Malta and best of luck! ;)

One question that really bothers me as a new arrival... what is up with all the garbage and littering everywhere? If I go by an empty plot there is like a junk yard of rubbish just lying around. Also on the streets. Is it the tourusts or the locals who don't care? And in the water as well! So sad since Malta is such a beautiful place, seeing that much junk makes me sad..

And another note, did you guys feel the quake this morning? Shook my bed quite hard!

i slept throught the quake read about it on times of malta  though
i agree on the rubbish front , i think its sad

Does anyone want to join me tomorrow to Simar nature reserve? It is located in St Pauls bay, 20 minutes or so from Spinola/Swieqi area. Opens 10:30 and I would probably look around until 3-4.

hope you find someone to go with you but tommrow its the marsaxlokk market and then well probably just go swimming after :)

Is there any place in Malta where you can buy everyday household items, similar to Rossmann or DM? Or is that in Lidl/bigger stores only?

tallira - tal-lira.com/shop-details/
or lidl

Rawbiz wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

for a bank account if you ask your employer for an introduction letter for banking services on headed paper , take this with your passport and contract to bov in valletta you shouldnt have any issues getting a bank account

Thanks a ton for the help all. I think I will have the bank sorted out, according to someone at HR a local bank ref letter (from where I currently live) and passport would do at HSBC.

Be VERY careful with this. I'm a poker player and was told by HSBC that I'm "not the sort of customer they're looking for". I've also heard numerous stories in the last 12 months of HSBC closing the accounts of people having any transactions with gaming companies. Including mortgages!

BOV on the other hand welcomed me with open arms.

TheDarkman wrote:
Rawbiz wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

for a bank account if you ask your employer for an introduction letter for banking services on headed paper , take this with your passport and contract to bov in valletta you shouldnt have any issues getting a bank account

Thanks a ton for the help all. I think I will have the bank sorted out, according to someone at HR a local bank ref letter (from where I currently live) and passport would do at HSBC.

Be VERY careful with this. I'm a poker player and was told by HSBC that I'm "not the sort of customer they're looking for". I've also heard numerous stories in the last 12 months of HSBC closing the accounts of people having any transactions with gaming companies. Including mortgages!

BOV on the other hand welcomed me with open arms.

Thanks, I experienced the same thing. Luckily my company is in connection with BOV and they already sorted it out.

Hello,
So glad i found this forum as im seriously looking into the big move from Sydney to Gozo in 2015.  Was only in Malta last year, have family both in Malta and Sydney.  Its scary, its exciting and i welcome any comments from people who have already done so. Lets do this!! Cheers and thank you..

Merħba  :)

thank you... :)

Hey, I'm Kirsten, I'm moving to Malta today! And will be living in an apartment in Pembroke. Any tips?☺️ Never visited Malta before

Brave to move here without having visited  :) previously but hey, you're young and it seems you have a job to come to. That will make things very much easier for you.
Good luck and Merħba!

(A bit drastic though, just because the No vote won  ;) )

Yeah I have a job sorted already, just a case of settling in now! Lol I know - Glasgow wasn't a nice place to be last night! Thanks for saying good luck 😊

Well I'm sure it has changed since you have been there last!

I moved to Malta about 5 years ago, and it was scary at first - but now I'm happy I moved.

Would love to hear how you get on!