Moving from Iceland to Mauritius

Hi everyone :)

My husband and i are thinking of moving to Mauritius next year. We have 2 children . 4 and 7 . we speak english .
Where is the best place to live there with chlidren ? where there are privite schools and a work to find :)

we are financially comfortable and we want to live beachside .....

every info you can give us will make us very happy :)

Hi Icelanders, I just relocated to MU some 3 weeks ago with my husband.
I advise you to look for a place to stay in the North, especially if you want to live near a beautiful beach (Grand Baie, Trou Aux Biches, etc). We don't have any kids but I know there's some good international/english schools, do your children speak a bit of english too?
Other than on this forum, t here's a very active group on FB that is called "The Mums in the North" or something like that, they can give you tons of advice about schools.
As far as the job goes, it's better to start looking for it now, in order to get the right type of Visa before coming here, and that depends on your and your husband's fields of expertise. Generally speaking, it's not difficult to find a job if you can bring something that is lacking.
I'm sure you'll get many useful tips on the forum :)

Welcome on board Icelanders !

In the north you can find Northfields international school northfieldsonline.com

But in my opinion, you should spend 2-3 weeks exploring the country. Tamarin & Flic en Flac are also very popular. If you prefer living in the centre of the island Moka is certainly a good spot too. We're on a small island,  with big possibilities and potential :)

All the best,

Julien

Hi icelanders,
                             I am riaz from Grand bay, Mauritius, would like to advice you choose the north as it well located geographically, you have the best schools in the north,the best food as well, easy to find a job in the field of tourism or in your respected profession. any member cant deny the facility available here... from small shops to big, small hairdresser to big, small school to big, you will be very delighted if you choose grand bay as my colleagues before  mention it to you. I live here and i can testify it you. in Grand bay you will feel more lively, more cheerful and you will be in the Universe of European people here than to live in other part of Mauritius.

Thank you all for your help :)

Hello Riaz,

I agree on most part of your comment, but I beg to differ in opinion.

The north can be best for some people, but not for all.  Grand Bay can be very noisy and disturbing specially at night.
The part where I disagree most is that the 'best schools are found in the north'.  We still have Clavis and Bocage in the centre and a couple of other high-standard schools. Tertiary education is totally absent in the north. I spent all my life in the north until I was 27. 

I would rather think that choosing the right location depends on individual tastes and expectations. You cannot just write-off other regions of the island. I wonder what's the purpose of choosing Mauritius if one wants to be in the Universe of European people...?   :/

Therefore, I join Julien in his advice to explore the country first.

:-)

Hi Nadeem,

I would rather simply answer by This Saying: Birds of Same feathers flock together. these people are European, i think they would settle comfortably  where they find their likes and mates. Maybe in flic en flac or Tamarin. I am in touch with them every day and you know what they said to me in my agency when they come to book for a tour: after 6p.m the whole island sleep only one part never sleep is the partly the north particularly Port-louis Grand bay... these people have raised in different cultures and traditions... they have different set of beliefs about life so that is why i say too them Grand Bay because We are not Europeans but We try to make them feel home, feel lively, enthusiatic, social, jovial, liberals, among Europeans in Gran Bay. they will not europeanize themselves by living here but rather socialize, fraternize with Mauritians and local people. I think the only place where we can portrait this is Grand bay. Anyway I am here, I live here so every monkey will try to protect its mountain(lol). but as a realist and optimist, Grand Bay lack a lot of things, i recognize it.

concerning the night life in grand bay... i would merely said that if you close your door and sit in front of your laptop or plunge yourself in a literature book or watch a movie after 6p.m, you will even not hear the commotion and noise outside. you will listen only the birds chirping a bit and barking of the dogs, thats all. eventually i will say that Grand bay is the heart of Mauritius as it is renowned for its humming and buzzing of touristic activity and where you live is the lungs of Mauritius as it is famous for its natural reserve and flora and fauna.

Heart and lungs both organs are important for the wellness of your organism and metabolism. Similarly both Grand bay and other part of the Island are utmost important for these European Community.

Well Riaz. Agree on your description of Grand Bay.

Still I prefer what makes Mauritius beautiful in the eyes of European: our own identity, our uniqueness.  I would say that 'make them feel at home' should not be literal.  We have to offer what we have, not transform ourselves into Europe. Else, we'll not be different. You don't pay a hotel if it resembles your home, do you?  :-)

Many of my European clients living on the mountains in Black River... they love dogs barking and birds chirping!
Feel at home is not always the objective...break-away to paradise is something many also want. Moving away to a peaceful and calm island, running away from busy and crowded cities....

That's why I say that choosing the right location depends on tastes and objectives!

You don't need to live in Grand Bay to party. The island is so small that you can be there in 30 minutes from where-ever you want.  I often leave Moka and reach Grand bay in 20 minutes...when I'm not sleepy. :-) Then I get back home and sleep peacefully.. hehe.

Riaz, the moderators are very efficient here.. we better stop before they say 'Guys this thread is not about Grand Bay' lol!

ok nadeem... i agree with you but we need to discuss in order to learn to each other... i appreciate your comments and i learn many things as i consider myself as an eternal student... Proverb Arabic says learn from cradle to grave and from womb to tomb..

thanks to you nadeem.. see you next time and enlarge on other topics.

Oh dear.  I'm not teaching anything. I like to exchange ideas. We can share over a cup of coffee ..!

Hi,

The best place to live is in the north : Grand Bay, Pereybere.

English school is IPS - International Preparotory School.

House on the beach, approx. 2000 USD per month.

If you need any assistance, will be happy to help.

Cheers

Hello Riaz, I think you are right. I am totally agree with you. Will you please update me more about the best places in Mauritius.

hello jeanrosy, i will write you about it later because nowadays i am extremely busy with tourist clients as it is the peak time for them. maybe tonight i wll update you the best places in Mauritius ok ciao have a good day please stay in touch as we have many to discuss.............

Hello Icelanders,
It's a pleasure to know that you've chosen Mauritius to settle. Certainly a place to stay in Mauritius with all Amenities would be Grand Bay if you are financially settled but I would also recommend you to " Hampstead Junior School school" a private English Medium school for your kids (Moderated: no free ad please)

Hello,

You are making the right choice by coming to Mauritius. For me, the nicest part of the island in the west coast.
(please avoid advertising in your very first message!)

Kindest Regards,

Nicolas

Icelanders in Mauritius! Wow! Welcome......
When choosing which location to live here I recommend "try before you buy" :-)
I have fond memories of Iceland, hiked for 10 days there....I sent you a contact request

Hi there.

I will be happy to assist you in your transition or what ever query you may have on Mauritius.

Regards,

Chetand

Hi,

(moderated : advertising)

God bless you

Jyoti (Mrs)

Hi, Icelanders. warm welcome and wish u all the best for setting up in this lovely country :)

Hi Icelanders
if you need help in moving let me know