How to make friends in Kiev

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Kiev :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Kiev??

Thanks in advance for your participation

This is a bit belated, but in case anyone is interested we are having a speed dating party for English speakers next Saturday. So if anyone IS interested in making new friends - please drop me a line here or at [email protected]

This is very easy to find a friend in Kyiv. Just google something like "looking friend kyiv". A lot of people try to find an expat in order to practice their English.

Better tell me how to find a foreigner who speaks english and is not good in Ukrainian or Russian and wants to find a local friend:)

I googled same, and found this page,
am not good in Russian, n speak English, so how to find friends here?

Frankly to say it is very very easy. First just go any where, for example to Kreschatyk (the main street in Kyiv), come in to any cafee (lets say McDonalds) and just ask someone you liked in the line to help you with the order. Then offer to have a meal at the same table. So many people want to find an english speaking friends here!

If you are out of Ukraine now then just visit any website for those who learn english. THere are so many post about searching an english speaking friend. You can easy find there a person from a place you are going to visit. The same with all sites for panpals.

If you want to get some websites jut drop me a privet message. I am not sure i can post here links.

:) just do your friendship here ;) instead of advising :)
better make friendship here and make a new post theme about for people who search :)

samek wrote:

I googled same, and found this page,
am not good in Russian, n speak English, so how to find friends here?

write a little bit about yourself, i plan to go to Kiev next month

I think Rena has an excellent point.  I'm an American English Teacher (no accent) and would be happy to help anyone wanting to improve their skills, or learn more about our culture. I'm in the United States now, but plan on moving to the Ukraine by the end of the year...hopefully.  Anyway, if you would like, you can add me to your SKYPE contact list.  My SKYPE name is Jim_Brantley .

hi, r u still insterested in to have host in Kiev? poka...

Hello unforgiven and welcome to Expat.com!

As this is an old thread, i invite you to create a new topic on the Kiev forum.

Thank you,
Christine

Hi everyone!
I'm writing from the nice city Kiev, and looking for english speaking friends here.

Hi Natasha, My name is Mike Im a Expat from US and speak English, but very little Ukrainian.. I will be in I think Odessa in the late May early June timeframe on my way back to Us for a vacation, I would be happy to know someone there when I get hthere and help you in return with English!! Mike

Hi Natasha ,I am Rio and live in Kiev ,I have also no friends it would be nice to keep in touch.

Kind regards

Rio

[moderated: no free ads please]

It pretty much gets lonely here, believe me.
Especially when you are called or looked down as a "minority" here in Ukraine.
Would be more than happy to make new friends with people from anywhere else. Or atleast with people who're respectful and open-minded of other cultures.

Personally, I go to three meetings per week posted on the Language Exchange Club for Kiev. They have meetings all over town and they are pretty good. I must be fitting in because I now feel more connected to the local thas expats.
If you go, try to turn it down a notch. Be humble and respectful.

Try to use Couchsurfing, a loooot of people are looking for somebody to hangout and especially toruists are lookinf for locals to show them historical old town. Just Couchsurf it!

Thats true, even from facebook, lots student from Barzil or other country which English is not their office laugurage looking for people to practice

Hi Jim , r u moving to Ukraine for teaching? Do you know to speak Russian? I wil ad u on skype

hello
i'm new in kiev
hope to get a new friends

amrsorour wrote:

hello
i'm new in kiev
hope to get a new friends

Hi. Would you like to meet for lunch on any business day?

ok mybe for dinner
plz send me ur no.

Hey, might be a bit late, old thread, But just moved here last month and finding it hard to meet any expats for coffee or a drink. I Miss speaking English sometimes :) Any advice?

Hi. EvanCawley . I am looking for native speakers to practice  spoken English. I can help you with Russian and Ukrainian

@ --- > You may also post an ad in the Language Exchange in Kiev section.

Thanks

Priscilla

Hi everybody.My name is Antony and im frim Greece.Im looking for free room in exchange with english lessons and Greek lessons.Im a teacher of english language.Im very simple person and i dont have demandings.Just im new in kiev and i dont know nobody here.I make this thought hopefully that i will found somebody that he/she is interested on this exchange.
My mail [email protected]

Best Regards
Antony

Antony1380 wrote:

Hi everybody.My name is Antony and im frim Greece.Im looking for free room in exchange with english lessons and Greek lessons.Im a teacher of english language.Im very simple person and i dont have demandings.Just im new in kiev and i dont know nobody here.I make this thought hopefully that i will found somebody that he/she is interested on this exchange.
My mail [email protected]

Best Regards
Antony

If you know where Bilshovyk mall is located in Kiev (near Shulyavska subway) then you need to pass it a little bit and walk farther down the street away from Shulyavska sub and in direction to Karavaevi Dachi. In about 200 metres to your right (behind a bus station) there is a Greece bistro. Staff there speak the Greek language.

Hi!

If you wanna we can practice :)

Hello, I'm marivi from the Philippines and lives in Kiev.  I want to make friends from all over Ukraine.  Thanks...

heey!

well,we can help each other i will head to ukraine in a few weeks but i dont promise to teach you english perfectly coz im not native speaker but i do speak it very well,we can meet up in ukraine if u want

Do you live in Kyiv?

AL

How do you like living in Kyiv?

I will be arriving December 28 for vacation..

Do you have any recommendations>

Spasibo,
AL

Privet,
Whats your name? Mine is AL.

How do you like living in Kyiv?

I will be arriving December 28 for vacation..

Do you have any recommendations?

Spasibo,
AL

EvanCawley wrote:

Hey, might be a bit late, old thread, But just moved here last month and finding it hard to meet any expats for coffee or a drink. I Miss speaking English sometimes :) Any advice?

HI!

Hi, i am a decent educated friendly guy 29 yrs.
I am at kiev and looking for a friend to hang out who at least speaks a little english. Men/women np I am having trouble with transportation and communication in rest. cafes and bars and clubs and nightclubs etc.

Some suggestions I would make for making friends in Kiev, both the regular type of friends and the romantic type, are:
1. Get involved in language lessons. To meet Ukrainians, take a class in a 3rd language, such as German, Spanish, French or Italian. If you take Ukrainian or Russian, you won't meet many Ukrainians except the instructors. Another way is to volunteer as an assistant to an instructor of an English class. This can even be done by Skype. You'd be surprised at how many Ukrainians you can meet this way.
2. Go to classical music concerts and/or operas and do a lot of smiling during intermissions. Easy to break the ice by commenting on the event.
3. Find out what trade fairs are going on in the city and attend them. You can make not only new acquaintances, but valuable business contacts as well. Keep your eye open for the Kiev Book Fair. That's a good one.
4. Take cooking classes. With good old Google as a helper, it's "duck soup" finding out where classes are being held and who's holding them.
5. Go to an art museum and join a tour group of Ukrainians. Arm yourself beforehand with a few phrases, such as "Who's the painter of this one?" or "Who's your favorite painter?"
6. Are you much of a winter sports person? Join an organized group (of Ukrainians) that's going to Bukovil or some other ski resort. Take beginning ski lessons. Go ice skating. Stay at one of the farms that offers winter activities. Sitting around the fireplace in the evenings is a guarantee for getting to know people.
7. If you're single and romantically minded, post a personal ad right here in Expat.com or check out one of the numerous dating sites, such as UkraineDate.net (or .com, whichever it is) (maybe both). Use caution and common sense, but there are a lot of first-class lonely people out there.
8. A good technique in general is to ASK QUESTIONS. "How far does bus #5 go?", "What's the Ukrainian words for 'classical concert'?", "What's the past tense of this verb?", "That's a lovely jacket. Where could I buy one like that?" Have follow-up questions ready.
And if you need any help with languages, let me know. I publish phrasebooks.

hi it s me Cem from istanbul i used to live in london and i moved bakc to istanbul for good and im planning to go to Kiev for couple of day s i hope you use this site i need to ask afew questuons if you dont  mind ))

You guys have something confused.  Trading languages is not going to make you lasting friendship.  That's more like a business deal in Ukraine, unless both parties have some ulterior motive such as dating or getting a free meal.

It is not easy making friends in Ukraine.  Ukrainians might want to study English.  That doesn't mean they want to  be friends with you. 

If you just want people to hang out and have a good time, go to a disco and start buying drinks.  You'll meet plenty of women if you are a guy.  If you are a girl, go to the disco and look for the most foreign looking guy.  He'll buy you a drink if you're pretty enough.  Just be prepared to spend cash.  It's time  and money.  You have to have both or you are crap outta luck.   Sorry to be so blunt buys. 

If you want to make real friends then find a group of people that have the same interest as you.   If you don't have friends in your home country, chances are you won't find friends here either. 

Quite frankly, I made friends just walking my dogs and doing various hobbies.  I suggest people do that, instead of trading languages because trading languages isn't going to make you any friends beyond language trading.    Sorry to be so blunt but I don't think a mutual agreement based on give and take is friendship.  it may lead to friendship but chances are it's just a business deal. 
In any case people need to be honest about their motives if they are going to make friends.  You want a dating partner?  Sex partner?  language partner?  Sugar daddy?  drinking buddy?  Footy buddy?   Be honest to what you want and look for people in those areas.  You're never going to find a sex partner visiting the Lavra.

Please text me if you are interested in friendship ****

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For own security measures, please do not share email address on the forum, you could use our private message system for that.

guud