Vilcabamba, Loja or Not?

I am restarting the conversation we were having about  because it had begun on the New Members forum.

I'm just pasting my last statement in order for others to begin their conversations regarding their possible interest in Vilcabamba,

Previous post:

I chose Vilcabamba simply because it is likely the most tranquil place I had ever visited. I also liked the fact that there is an organization, Vilcabamba Nuevo Mundo (VNM),  that is working on trying to help both the locals adjust to Vilcabamba's sudden influx of Westerners by giving them free English lessons and Westerners learn to acculturate to their new environments by offering free Spanish classes. So often, I have seen places that were great become exploited and, in the process, lose the very reasons why people wanted to live there in the first place. I think VNM is a step in the right direction to prevent this from happening.

As for medical care and activities, Loja is only a short drive away and all can be had there. The notario that handled my house lives in Vilcabamba but works in Loja. So, in essence, I guess you might say that Vilcabamba, is commuting distance to Loja. Loja has theater, concerts, etc, and all within a relatively short driving distance.

I have lived abroad before, and after living in a metro area of over 26 million people, I wanted to be in a clean, friendly, small place where people spoke to their neighbors and knew each other. Vilcabamba is very clean. The tap water is potable, and I saw little litter anywhere. My house is situated in a small community about 10 minutes from the village in an area called Santorun. The neighborhood has public access to the local river, and I hope to volunteer at the local school if they will have me.

Finally, I have to confess that once I saw my house online, I knew in my heart that I would live there. It is a small adobe that was gutted and redone with all Western amenities. I presently own a house in the US with a yard that I can barely keep up with. My new home as a beautiful small yard and garden - just the right size for me and my pups! I guess you could say that Vilcabamba was love at first sight! I also like the fact that I was able to buy it for less than $50/sq foot.

I would suggest that you take a trip and see both Vilcabamba and Loja. I can recommend a great place to stay in Vilcabamba called Madre Tierra Hotel and Spa. The prices are great as is the food and management. If I have arrived, I would be glad to show you what I have discovered. I do not plan on moving in until early March.

Hi Susan...what can you tell us about the internet and phone service in Vilcabamba.

I haven't moved there yet, so I can only tell you what I was told. The phones are all GSM - meaning that they take SIM cards. As for Internet, I was told that good service would run me about $50-$60/month. However, I am assuming it will be more where I will be because I'm a bit further from the village than most. If I get more information, I'll be sure to post it.

Thanks! This post has been interesting. Can you tell me more of the hotel in vilcabamba?