Back from Gib

My wife and i have have just got back from 5 days in Gib. We went to do some proper research and get an idea of costs etc. What we found was a changed place from our first visit 4 years ago. Clothes are the same/more then the uk, property is very expensive in our opinion, i.e a 2 bed apartment £1300 p/m, and that wasn't in Ocean Village. My wife, a registered and practising nurse with over 25 years experience in A&E would earn less in Gib then the uk, and my profession is really in airport work, but those jobs are very few and far between. Whilst we really loved our time in Gib, sadly we won't be taking the interest any further. Good luck to those who take the plunge.

Hello dessyr

Thank you for this testimony!

Could you say that the cost of living has gone way too high in only four years time?

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

It has gone up in 4 years although not dramatically.  A 2 bed fully furnished apartment was £800 p/m but one bedroom was a sofa bed in the lounge.....so a one bed really. Certainly the cost of clothing has increased in four years. Sad really because if it were cheaper we would likely have moved.

This is a good appraisal.   You mention 4 years, I will state that in 2 years the rent I can earn on a 2 bed as increased by 80%.   The reason is because Spain (or Madrid) have driven a lot of ex Pats onto the Rock from neighbouring Spain due to their stupid laws aimed at ex Pats and Border antics.   Its a supply and demand issue, rents rose because so many wanted places to live.

I will add an important fact for those coming, banking here is a nightmare, business bank accounts take months to open.   Forming a Gib company is expensive because you get ripped off by agents.   You can do it yourself for less that £100 but before you do that meet with accountants and find out if this is the best place for your business.   I am stuck here, 2 years on banging my head against a wall.   I am going to Malta soon to research that options as many of the people I met in the early days have already left and gone there.   

It was encouraging to read your review, it showed common sense to come and check things out before taking the plunge.   So many don't and get disheartened.   Do the research and understand the lie of the land and you will enjoy Gib through this understanding.

:)