Rosettenville and other neighbourhoods

Hi everybody,

my girlfriend and I are thinking of moving to Joburg for a while. As probably most Europeans, I am excited about the plan as well as slightly worried about the city's safety issues. We have spent time in Malawi and Surinam, but this will be quite different on this matter. Hopefully you have some advice for us (regarding specific neighbourhoods).

My a girlfriend is a MD and she could take on a job at an hospital in Rosettenville for some time. I find it hard to learn more about this area on the web, does someone now more about it?  She surely would need to be there for night shifts as well, so I am also concerned if it would be save for here driving there at night/early morning. (I guessed it would be smartest to buy a second hand car, but I have no idea really?)

What neighbourhoods would you suggest to be nice for housing? I've read about Maboneng Precinct, which is not too far from Rosettenville and seems to be an interesting young and vibrant place. Normally urban living would attract us more than a gated community in some suburb. But again, safety is a priority as well. Possibly some of you know more on this, or about other exciting cultural/vibrant areas that are safe? Or is this a contradiction?

Many thanks!

Hi Baardje,Rosettenville would be convinient for you guys as the hospital in in Rosettenvile but there is another suburb next to Rosettenville , Kenilworth I live there it is quite save