I AM IN GIBRALTAR !!! WOW !

Hello,  everybody !   I  have  mooved  to  Gibraltar  on  the  22.07.  from  Estonia   through  London,  I  am  living  in  the  Emile  hostel  here -  very  nice  place ,  I  am  looking  for  a  job  now -  so  I  am  very  busy ,  later  I  will   share  my  experiense   of  mooving .

Good luck

Well done

Regards

Grumpy

Been thinking of selling up and moving abroard for quite a while as my town has got so violent. Gib seems the ideal place if i can afford it.
Let me know how you,re getting on.
Helen
Colchester
Essex

Gibraltar  is  a  very  exotic  place,  but  expencive,  if  you  are  rich -  no  problem ,  I  am  looking  for  a  job  here -  no  success  yet,  later  I  will  tell  you  the  prices  of  property  in  Gib.

This  is  from  the   BMI   Group   magazine  in  Gibraltar -  prices  for  property -  the  cheapest -  89,  950.00  pounds,   the  middle  price -  365, 000.0  pounds,   the  highest  price -  895, 000.0  pounds , if  you  buy  a  property  in  Gibraltar -  I  would  like  to  rent  a  room  in  your  appartaments .

[Moderated: Please avoid posting personal details on the public forum]

Love the energy, buy a drum and bang it and wake this place up.   As you have found its great if you don't have to worry about money :)  jobs are available but its a hard graft for most and in the 2 years I have been here, the dream seems to fade for most and they go back home.   So to the person who said they were selling up ????  I would hold onto UK assets.   Gib has improved a lot over the last 10 years but its still offers jobs to locals as opposed to expats.   Expats get offered short term contracts and these are rarely extended in the public sector as they don't want people to stay long term and qualify for pensions.   I know this for a fact as I have met and seen leave well qualified nurses and public inspectors who love it here, but can't stay?   Means services go up and down.   We have power cuts on a regular basis due to ??????? yes no one has an answer worth believing.   The blame game and rumour mill rule here.   So feel free to inject your positivity and wake this Rock up :)

I have only met 2 people in the flesh from this forum, 1 a nurse the other a teacher.
The nurse has after 1 year been given a full contrct.
The teacher who was on daywork has now been offered a 6 month contract

How Gibraltar treats you depends on your attitude and abiłity

I am sure there are exceptions to the rule Grumpy, just know that this week another well qualified nurse is planning her escape, loves this place but realises there is no future on the contract she is on.   Just saying, read and understand the small print.

As someone who moved here 40 yrs ago with a nurse as a wife I believe I am reasonably well qualified in this subject

I'm not talking about 40 years ago I am talking about now.   Now is more relevant.  I have been here 2 years and I am a management consultant and business advisor and I deal in what I see and have witnessed.  I don't have an axe to grind but I am sad at some of the things I have heard and witnessed.   I could give more detail but would not wish to identify those who have shared their experiences with me.   I merely make the point to help those consider contract positions and negotiate the terms of such contracts.

I am aware of what the situation is today, do you think that during the past 40 years it's been a bed of roses?

The present government in it's previous incarnation banned Brits from even looking for work in Gib.

Simple advice stop whinging , knuckle down and get on with it.

Look arund and you will see plenty of expats who have made a success of their lives here, it wasn't handed to them on a plate as the younger generation appears nowadays to demand. It was achieved by hard work and determination

Calm down Grumpy, I started by praising the WOW, energy, then I told of the truth, ex Pats do get a raw deal in public jobs.   I will see if I can encourage some of my clients to write about their experiences.   I'm also not whinging, I love this place :)

An amusing exchange being irritable myself I do worry about not fitting in. But I am coming back for another peek soon.