Relocating to Guatemala

I have met some really nice people when I visited Guatemala in May. I stayed in Guatemala City, at the Hotel Barcelo, visited Antigua twice, spent a day helping in a medical clinic in the mountains, but didn't make it to Lake Atitlan. One of my new friends down there recommended Panajachel by the lake. I will be retiring on my social security, which would get me nowhere in the States. I am single, divorced with 2 sons and 3 grandchildren in South Florida, which is only a couple of hours from Guatemala City. I have flight discounts, as my son works for Jet Blue, which unfortunately, doesn't fly to Guatemala, but my round trip fare is pretty cheap. I would like to check out the area, Lake Atitlan in a couple of months to determine if it would work for me. I would like to meet people there, probably looking to rent something inexpensive or share a house with someone. I was a pharmacist for 23 years in Florida, but now concentrate on my writing. I understand that it's an ideal community for writers. I would also do some volunteer work. One of my friends runs Paramedics for Children down there. If not Paramedics, I would look to help elsewhere. I'm seeking feedback from people, Americans and other nationalities already living there either full-time or part-time. Thanks. Ira

Dear Sir,
I have been living here for 25 years.. around Atitlan.. currently working out of Panajachel and living in Sta Cruz La Laguna.. You will find out that most of the expat are concentrated in Panajachel, because you have plenty of services (bars, restaurants, farmacy, banks,..) and it is an easy town.. Not forthethly cheap but you can find some rentals for around $ 400.00.. Then you have the North Shore.. Santa Cruz, Jaibalito that you can reach only by boat so you need to be willing to jump in a public boat.. or if you have your own boat , some expat do, you will be able to communte to Panajachel easely.. Public boat work fine sometimes they are overloaded and slow... Then you have Tzununa and San Marcos La Laguna.. Tzununa there are few expats.. I know a woman US lawyer leaving there, some English guys, but there is not much as for expats.. it is more for peace of mind and quietness than anything else.. San Marcos La LAguna is the "holy town" of the lake lots of new age activities , younger crowd some expats as well.  Then San Pedro which has more expats as people like it over there because it is very mellow and some cheap deals.. you can buy a waterfront piece of land for under $ 50K.. Santiago is a special destination and some expats as well but also very Tzutuhil community.. mayan of the aerea.. some good deals on real estate as well.. San Lucas Toliman very isolated to the rest of the Lake some expats . San Antonio and Sta Catarina offer some great views but rent and real estate are high.. All around the lake you will find NGO to volunteer too.. You are right come down explore and you will see what suit best your interest. You can send me a private message and I will be able to send you some rentals info and relocation ideas.. Welcome to the lake

I don't live there, and never have done; but my son in his hippie days lived outside San Marcos la Laguna, in a treehouse he had built for him by the local Mayans. I visited him and his little family there, and sometimes stayed overnight in Panajachel. I have Pana marked as one of my bolt-holes. I don't think you could do much better, Ira. In the town it was (a few years ago now) fairly expensive to buy or rent Western houses; you might want to start in one of the villages around the lake. Having said that, Armand says one can rent for $400 a month, which seems cheap. He would know, of course.

A lovely part of the world!

Appreciate your feedback! I've been doing some research, taking some books out and checking information online. I have some friends in Guatemala City, where I visited in May. I spent a couple of days in Antigua and a day at a medical clinic for the Mayan people. I have a background in pharmacy, but I am trying to concentrate on my writing. I think it would be a great place to devote time to my stories. I'm actually meeting with a screenwriter in New York City next week concerning an action/comedy which I had written. We'll see how it goes. One of my friends in Guatemala is an international attorney who counsels Congress in Guatemala. I've heard great things about Lake Atitlan. It would be quite an adventure, supplying me with more material to write about. Thanks for you help.

Ira

I think if you want really quiet and gorgeous on Atitlan, you would do well to contact Uxlabil the hotel on the lake in San Juan.  You take the boat there from Panajachel. 
I go there often, and the owner is very cool.  He is also a writer, and the place has two bungalos.  Actually, last time I spoke with him he was looking for an expat manager of the place as he has just expanded into Antigua with  a new hotel.  I would look him up online and see what he has to offer.  The bungalos are very simple, but the place is magical.  \

best of luck.