Need your advices about interesting places

Hi guys,

My exchange student will stay here in 3 months. She's from Finland. I will take care her, and I hope she will have many wonderful days  when she stays here. By the way, I want to learn more about Saigon :D.

1. What places in Saigon do you like to visit? Although I've lived here for 6 years, but I rarely go out, so I dont know many interesting places in HCM city, just some places like: Bình Quới, Independent Palace.

2. Which coffeeshop do you like the most in D1? I only know some near my house, and want to try others in D1.

3. What Vietnamese special foods (restaurants) do you like when you live here? Last year I brought my student to a "bún chả" restaurant in Q1, but unfortunately, I forgot he couldn't eat fish sauce :(.

4. What bar do you want to go the most? She only lives here about 3 months, and my spoken English is not good enough to talk to her :D, so I want to find some places where some foreigners are always go there (just for fun, not monkey bar :P)

5. Some best places are near Saigon: Vũng Tàu, Đà Lạt, Nha Trang, Mũi Né,... anything else?

Thanks for your help  :)!

I suggest following your order number ok ;)

1. BCR in district 9: paint ball, row a kayak boat, swimming pool, fishig, tennis blah blah blah

2. Inbox cafe is the coffee shop i love the most because of its quiet, elegance and soft songs
Or a coffe shop on the 4th floor of Ca Chep Bookstore ;) you can go around the bookstore before go up to the cofee ;) thats bookstore is pretty cute ;)

3. Have you try Banh Khot Co Ba Vung Tau at Cao thang Street ? How about Bun Bo Hue at Bui vien ? Bun dau mam tom at Pasteur ? Haha

4. Chill sky bar on the top of New Uworld. Or a bar on the top of Caravelle hotel i dont remember the name @@

5. I suggest that Bao Binh is a new place citizens want to visit because of its beautiful beach @@ its far more Nha Trang @@

Uwhy don't you invite some expat here to join ??? Or me is ok too ? Haha !!

Sorry ! I mean Ibox coffee, not inbox :))) its on hai Ba trung st near diamond plaza ;)

jadetrang wrote:

Ok, thank you so much, dear! If you remmember other places, pls share with me. I dont know many places in Saigon.
I have a exchange student, and maybe a foreign colleague will stay here in some months. I hope we can meet you and some expats here to drink some beer/coffe  :par:.

I assume that she might love to explore a little bit more about this beautiful country rather than only Saigon and its surroundings. In that case, Hue ancient capital would be a must-see destination ;).
On the way to Hue, she might drop by Nha Trang, Hoi An and Da Nang. Half of the S nation will have been conquered by then :)

virgoks wrote:

I assume that she might love to explore a little bit more about this beautiful country rather than only Saigon and its surroundings. In that case, Hue ancient capital would be a must-see destination ;).

Thank you so much.
I think she might think like you. But she stays here for study, and I am little busy, I dont think I have 5-7 consecutive days to take her to Hue. I traveled some provinces in Vietnam, but I've never been to Hue, Da Nang. I hope I have free time to go there in the near future. Like Hue so much, especially, food, "ao dai" in violet color, and Hue women's voice.

http://dulichhue.com.vn/upload/images/gallery/album-ngan-ngo-ve-dep-rat-hue-cua-ton-nu-na-uy-le-/ngan-ngo-ve-dep-rat-hue-cua-ton-nu-na-uy-le-nha8.jpg

http://dulichhue.com.vn/upload/images/gallery/album-ngan-ngo-ve-dep-rat-hue-cua-ton-nu-na-uy-le-/ngan-ngo-ve-dep-rat-hue-cua-ton-nu-na-uy-le-nha15.jpg

ngattt wrote:

... but I've never been to Hue, Da Nang. I hope I have free time to go there in the near future. Like Hue so much...

Well.. then Hue should be a must-see for you as well. Things only become true when we have a good plan :)

virgoks wrote:
ngattt wrote:

... but I've never been to Hue, Da Nang. I hope I have free time to go there in the near future. Like Hue so much...

Well.. then Hue should be a must-see for you as well. Things only become true when we have a good plan :)

Ah yes. Proper preparation and planning prevents p poor performance.

Which reminds me, I need to make a plan to go to Hue too.

virgoks wrote:

Sure, I will try to have a good plan to go there. Now I must concentrate on my work to improve my teaching skill (just teach for 1.5 years) and to save money for the biggest plan in my life :P. About 2 years for the plan, and then I will to travel to somewhere I want :D.

eodmatt wrote:

Matt, have you hear the voice of Hue women? It attract me so much. I wish I had Hue voice, its very sweet :P.

ngattt wrote:
jadetrang wrote:

Ok, thank you so much, dear! If you remmember other places, pls share with me. I dont know many places in Saigon.
I have a exchange student, and maybe a foreign colleague will stay here in some months. I hope we can meet you and some expats here to drink some beer/coffe  :par:.

I'd love to meet you and your exchange student! My speaking english is also not good so i really want to take this chance to practice @@ hịhi

ngattt wrote:
virgoks wrote:

Sure, I will try to have a good plan to go there. Now I must concentrate on my work to improve my teaching skill (just teach for 1.5 years) and to save money for the biggest plan in my life :P. About 2 years for the plan, and then I will to travel to somewhere I want :D.

eodmatt wrote:

Matt, have you hear the voice of Hue women? It attract me so much. I wish I had Hue voice, its very sweet :P.

Ngattt, regrettably I have not, so far heard the melodious tones of the ladies of Hue, but I hope to do so soon.

ngattt wrote:

... the biggest plan in my life :P. About 2 years for the plan, and then I will to travel to somewhere I want :D.

Great.. now you have the plan indeed! It's a very crucial premise for the action to be happening. I believe you can do it :)

ngattt wrote:

... I wish I had Hue voice, its very sweet :P.

People in Hue would wish to hear Sothern/Northen voice. That's human being.. we always prefer something different! :) Hard to find paradise...

eodmatt wrote:

Ngattt, regrettably I have not, so far heard the melodious tones of the ladies of Hue, but I hope to do so soon.

Yeah...just make a plan for Hue visit. As soon as you are here, you will be promptly surrounded by these 'magical' melodious tones :)

virgoks wrote:
eodmatt wrote:

Yeah...just make a plan for Hue visit. As soon as you are here, you will be promptly surrounded by these 'magical' melodious tones :)

Yeah but thats true wherever I go.  ;)

And never forget that the thing that most women find attractive about about a man is his personality.......

And the more personality he has in his wallet, the more the women like him.  :cool:

eodmatt wrote:

And never forget that the thing that most women find attractive about about a man is his personality.......

And the more personality he has in his wallet, the more the women like him.  :cool:

Ha ha, I dont think so :P.
"The more personality he has in the banks (not debt), the more the women like him"  :o .

ngattt wrote:
eodmatt wrote:

Ha ha, I dont think so :P.
"The more personality he has in the banks (not debt), the more the women like him"  :o .

Yes well, thats more or less the same thing.  ;)

I truly believe a Vietnamese woman judges a man by the friends he keeps.

And a man's best friend isn't a dog, it's Uncle Ho:

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/08dong400x300.jpg

Omg :D. But I think, Uncle Ho is not enough for shopping :D, I need another friend of men.

http://www.ishabaydhaba.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/One-million-Euro-250x122.jpg

Sorry, Nga, I only know these guys:

http://famouswonders.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/united-states-dollar.png

:D

Haha... this thread seems to go so funny.. but too far away from what was intended ;)

virgoks wrote:

Haha... this thread seems to go so funny.. but too far away from what was intended ;)

You are correct, sir.  Everybody, back on topic! :)

1. What places in Saigon do you like to visit? Although I've lived here for 6 years, but I rarely go out, so I dont know many interesting places in HCM city, just some places like: Bình Quới, Independent Palace.

Do not call SAIGON, remember HO CHI MINH city with information for you : http:// goo.gl/Nqg5tm
many thanks

Yep. Prolly the most interesting place to go in Saigon is......

Ho Chi Minh City!

To be honest I think that one of the best ways of exploring TP HCMC is to start with a Goooooooooooooooooooogle search and then set off going around and about exploring.

As an example, recently my wife took me to a sea food restaurant in D1. I'd never been there before and having been there several times now, I can honestly say that I have only seen one other ex pat in there. The food is superb and my wife told me that Vietnamese people say that if you haven't eaten there you haven't been to Saigon - or indeed, Ho Chi Minh City.

It's a large place but I cant remember the name of it and I cant ask my wife at the moment because I am out of Vietnam and she is busy getting her (our) niece settled in university. Anyway, the place is in the middle of a maze of back streets in D1, so if anyone knows where it is, please share. Jaitch might know of it, as he knows everything, but perhaps not as they don't sell cheese there.  :D

eodmatt wrote:

Ho Chi Minh City!

To be honest I think that one of the best ways of exploring TP HCMC is to start with a Goooooooooooooooooooogle search and then set off going around and about exploring.

As an example, recently my wife took me to a sea food restaurant in D1. I'd never been there before and having been there several times now, I can honestly say that I have only seen one other ex pat in there. The food is superb and my wife told me that Vietnamese people say that if you haven't eaten there you haven't been to Saigon - or indeed, Ho Chi Minh City.

It's a large place but I cant remember the name of it and I cant ask my wife at the moment because I am out of Vietnam and she is busy getting her (our) niece settled in university. Anyway, the place is in the middle of a maze of back streets in D1, so if anyone knows where it is, please share. Jaitch might know of it, as he knows everything, but perhaps not as they don't sell cheese there.  :D

edomatt don't mind her to much. She's from Hanoi. What's funny is if you open up her website it has a map of SEA and guess what city's listed? You guessed it "SAIGON" with hcm underneath in little letters. If I remember right all the buses the company uses for travel also have SAIGON signs, not hcm.

Matt, I thought I would call you go here after I read her comment :D.

Budman1 wrote:
eodmatt wrote:

Ho Chi Minh City!

edomatt don't mind her to much. She's from Hanoi. What's funny is if you open up her website it has a map of SEA and guess what city's listed? You guessed it "SAIGON" with hcm underneath in little letters. If I remember right all the buses the company uses for travel also have SAIGON signs, not hcm.

Yep, I was just indulging in a little gentle leg pulling because all the Vietnamese people I know, call the city .......

Yep, Saigon - usually pronounced S'gon.  :top:

Oops, misposted.

ngattt wrote:

Matt, I thought I would call you go here after I read her comment :D.

Where, Saigon?  :gloria

[ Moderated : inappropriate content ]

jadetrang wrote:

I'd love to meet you and your exchange student! My speaking english is also not good so i really want to take this chance to practice @@ hịhi

Ok, I hope to see you this Sunday. And you can practice English with her and others.
Where do you live in HCM city? My exchange student lives in D3, its very far from my house, and I am quite busy teaching, especially on weekends, so I only go out with her on Thursday. Today we met many my Vietnamese students, but they can't speak English well. They are very friendly, but they are so shy :(.
I really want her having some friends here.

wrote:

Budman1edomatt don't mind her to much. She's from Hanoi. What's funny is if you open up her website it has a map of SEA and guess what city's listed? You guessed it "SAIGON" with hcm underneath in little letters. If I remember right all the buses the company uses for travel also have SAIGON signs, not hcm.

Budman, We've taken the train twice from Hanoi to Saigon over the past 12 years. Both times the red and white wooden plaques on the sides of the passenger cars read "Hanoi - Hue - Saigon ". The frank truth is that not even the Southern NLF war veterans appreciated the re-naming of Saigon. Now what I hear is that TPHCM refers to the metropolitan area, a la Washington, D.C., and Saigon is the name of the city.

If the choice had been up to Uncle Ho, I suspect he'd have weighed in on Saigon as the proper name for the former Prey Nokor. TPHCM would probably be a good name for the capital of Nghe An province, or maybe a suburb of Paris?