Field trip

Retirement is not too far into the future so I would like to look at what's out there for options. I intend to take two weeks in January or February and come visit Cuenca and take another week for Panama City. If I like what I see I'll make plans for a longer visit. Any advise would be welcome

Paisley wrote:

Retirement is not too far into the future so I would like to look at what's out there for options. I intend to take two weeks in January or February and come visit Cuenca and take another week for Panama City. If I like what I see I'll make plans for a longer visit. Any advise would be welcome

These are two very different cities, which is fine.  I'm very familiar with Panama City and don't want to engage in a big discussion about it on an Ecuador forum.  It's for folks wanting urban living with lots of amenities in walking distance (malls and other shopping, restaurants and bars, other retail) and has many high-rise and mid-rise towers to choose from.  Despite being on the Pacific, there is no beach and it's hot and humid.  Transportation is plentiful and cheap. I enjoy the city and would live there over any place else in Panama.  (I know nothing about living in Quito or Guayaquil but they might be on your radar too for the more urban life.)

If the ocean and beachfront living has any appeal to you then you might include that as part of your Ecuador trip. (Don't bother looking at Panama over Ecuador for beachfront living, IMO.)

I've decide to make this trip to Ecuador only. I would rather have a moderate climate than one that is too hot and humid. I'm hoping Cuenca isn't too far to the other end of the temp scale. Sounds like it can be a bit cool. I'll find out soon enough.
I've booked my flight and am coming in late January for a few weeks. I will stay a few days in Quito with an aim to go to Cotacachi. (if anyone knows the best way to get there and back from Quito, please let me know).
I will then go to Cuenca for two weeks. I'm looking at renting an apartment. Any suggestions other than going onto a turnkey site? It looks like they're about 500 a week on that site. I need a place with two bedrooms.
I'm hoping to interact with some expats who live in Cuenca and would like to do some day trips to sites in the area.