Received a weird offer that's too good to be true

Hi Expats,

I came home from a class tonight and received a very odd email from someone named Dan. He asked me to come to UK and tutor his family (3 kids) for 1.5 yrs. He'll give me accomodation and pay me $9,000/month.

Right now, I'm working as an English teacher but I'm quite new in this teaching field. Have anyone encountered or heard something like this before? This sounds too good to be true but also very risky. If they change their mind, I'm screwed in UK if I didn't bring enough money. If it's fake, I could get mugged or kidnapped... Please give me some insights.

- Long Mai

If you think its a scam.. it probably is.

Everybody knows you can't trust people named Dan.

If you didn't think it was a dodgy offer, you wouldn't be asking.

You have, by your questions, answered yourself.

Thanks for the prompt responses guys! Yea, I thought so too. Well, he was looking for tutors that would travel. He couldn't know me elsewhere unless it was from Expat-blog. I thought I would post here too so other ppl would see this and not fall for it.

Was it a private message on this site?  If so, did you report it?

Hi DanFromSF,

No, it was sent to my email. I used that email for my English teaching ads on here.

:o Dan, you have 3 kids? :lol:

Just joke!

I think you can copy the email address or the content and search it in google to know if it is scam or not.

9 000$/month can be good or bad because life is expensive in UK. And what else can you get there ? It is very risky. Besides that he can pay 9000$/month for English teaching (in a native nation) means he is rich, it is not difficult for him to find someone there instead someone he doesnt know where he is.

My advice is thinking of it as a funny story!

Regards

I think it`s hoax, or let`s say I`m pretty sure it`s a hoax. I`ve recieved a couple of messages like that before. I`m an ESL educator too, but since I have a passion in learning European`s culture I decided to try the Au pairing program. I registered to a couple of Au pair sites and that`s when my inbox started to  flood messages from different families. At first I was so excited since I still don`t know how to distinguish a real family from a fake one. I entertained them, answering some questions since I thought they want to know me better. They`ll offer you a nice job and the payment is way too good for me who wouldn`t like that. Once both parties agreed to the offer, after a couple of days they`re going to tell you that they`ll going to forward your contact details to their lawyer and that sounds so cold for  me reason. Once you contact the fake lawyet the lawyer will inform you about the agreement that you need to pay or share an  amount indicated to process your visa blah blah blah. The moment they`ll ask you to send n amount of money they are fake people trying to steal your money. I stop communicating to those people after that. My only regret bis I wasted my precious time with them that I could never regain. That`s my personal experience.

LongMai wrote:

Hi DanFromSF,

No, it was sent to my email. I used that email for my English teaching ads on here.

Ah, ok.   I'd take the time to follow-up and see where the scam is.  I would bet you'll eventually get to a point where the person needs you to put up some money for some paperwork processing or such.   At that point, you can report them to the appropriate authorities.  Jaitch posted some tips on here recently about doing that sort of thing..

Dejavu.dot wrote:

:o Dan, you have 3 kids? :lol:

I'm DanFromSF, not DanFromUK. ;)

Thanks Jelred and Dan. That was very insightful! I've proceeded to ask further questions. I'll wait and see their response :]

@Dejavu.dot

I've tried to search for his name, the only identifiable info from the email. I was not able to find any details for anyone with that name but I did found that the first name and last name are real names in Ukraine. (He said he is from Ukraine but lives in England.)

Don't waste your time for those scams  :)
I received so many offers when I was in India and in Vietnam!

Hi all,

I just want to add if you get those offers on Expat.com please report immediately.

Thanks
Armand
Expat.com Team

Wow! I wish I had read this post sooner! Now I need to follow-up and see where and if i was scammed! Since I just gave her 1,250 USD for paperwork and processing and waiting 10 days for such documents.  At this point, i can report her to the appropriate authorities. But I have no proof because I do not know how long it takes to receive a new ID that has expired from your ward.And how long it takes to receive a new passport? Now I am unsure of the relationship. Wow! I need to man up! I am going to have to have a background check run on her. I kinda feel stupid, but if you are going to be dumb you must be tough! Actually I feel lucky....It could have been worse! It appears Vietnamese women like Benjamin Franklin more... to buy Mr. Ho's LOL...I guess that completes my love life...No more Mr. Nice Guy...I am a whore and a liar from this point and into the future...Graduated from the University of Saigon...Well of course, i should have known...You buy me Saigon Tea GI? Troi Oi! The good thing is my bank account can start growing again.

Be patient, 1stewart! Hope you will be lucky with this woman. If everything became worst, you have a lesson about Vietnamese women :(.

The first time I talked to with my friend, he said "I dont need love any more", I was very surprise. Loving someone is wonderful thing in our life. Why he is like that? Love makes him hurt so much, some Vietnamese women always needs his money than love him by himself. When someone tried to seduce him, I warned him many times, I said "women is very complicated, dont believe them easily when you dont know them well". He didnt believe me (nothing stings like the truth), he belived what she said (some touching stories)! Finally, everything happen like what I said...

I observe some foreigners, I think they are very intelligent but quite naive (khờ), even you guys are not young anymore! Sorry, nothing stings like the truth (sự thật mất lòng!) :P.

1stewart wrote:

Wow! I wish I had read this post sooner! Now I need to follow-up and see where and if i was scammed! Since I just gave her 1,250 USD for paperwork and processing and waiting 10 days for such documents.  At this point, i can report her to the appropriate authorities. But I have no proof because I do not know how long it takes to receive a new ID that has expired from your ward.And how long it takes to receive a new passport? Now I am unsure of the relationship. Wow! I need to man up! I am going to have to have a background check run on her. I kinda feel stupid, but if you are going to be dumb you must be tough! Actually I feel lucky....It could have been worse! It appears Vietnamese women like Benjamin Franklin more... to buy Mr. Ho's LOL...I guess that completes my love life...No more Mr. Nice Guy...I am a whore and a liar from this point and into the future...Graduated from the University of Saigon...Well of course, i should have known...You buy me Saigon Tea GI? Troi Oi! The good thing is my bank account can start growing again.

Yes. Be a good player but dont break real good Vietnamese girls' hearts!

But the topic is different!!!!

Ngatt you are very intelligent and have a lot of insight...Once there was a turtle and a scorpion on one side of the river. The scorpion says to the turtle please take me to the other side of the river. The turtle says no! You will sting me… and we both will die…the scorpion say's, trust me, I will not sting you, if you take me to the other side of the river… Nervously the turtle agrees to take the scorpion to the other side of the river. Get on my back and we will go. The scorpion complies and they start crossing the river and about half way across the river the scorpion stings the turtle. Oh, I should have never trusted you! Now we both must die! The turtle asks why? The scorpion replies it is in my nature… Like the scorpion women always know how to get what they want, but they do not always use good judgement...

Hi,

Follow your instincts, to me it's a scam, I come from the UK, and believe me there are plenty of EFL teachers there, working for far far less than that.
UK pay for TEFL teachers is very low,even in London, if someone was offering that pay, over half of the UK would beat his door down, are you from the UK or Europe.

Hi LesleyK,

I'm living in VN right now.

It was resolved. The 'client' couldn't prove that he's a real client, his workplace, and reason for hiring me. It's definitely a scam.

Hi,
Okay good, definitely a scam and watch out for more, my husband and myself have them all the time, believe me the UK is full of English schools and TEFL teachers due to easy access from Europe, can only have a visa if from UK or some parts of Europe, we get them all the time, help with visas etc. Glad it is sorted.

Ask him to transfer one month advance payment to you in advance and you can find out if this is real. In this kind of situation, only money is real.

UK a country where its official language is English hiring English teachers from non-English speaking country? Definitely a scam. $9000/mth translate to 6 figure salary and correct me if I'm wrong but the pound currency gets you more Dong than USD.

Yes, I am going to wait and see. I think she is a good girl! Thank you for your insight and support! True Love is priceless!
Richard

Hi Cvco… I adamantly disagree with you. I think the internet is an outstanding venue to meet someone and fall in LOVE. For the following reasons. I you must learn feeling words or vocabulary. This enables you to convey how you feel to another human being. You get to practice at expressing yourself… When you have to write it out on paper you must think about what you mean and how best to present yourself. Now about LOGIC… Logic is not always a matter of fact! Logic can and is wrong sometimes… Example on December 21st the first day of winter the sun is closer to the earth. Logical people think it would be in the summer. Logical people think their view is best and other views leaves something to be desired. Hold your hand up and look at your palm. You see 4 fingers and one thumb with lines or finger prints. Ask a friend what do they see? The friend does not see what You see. Your friend sees 4 fingers and a thumb with fingernails, but from your perspective you do not see the finger nails and your friend does nor see your fingerprints… One last thing when you face someone your right hand is their left hand which means you both have a different perspective… You both see things backwards in the other persons eyes… Therefore do not judge others until you see life from their vantage point… So the Internet is the future…Social media! Oh, I just drop in to see what condition my condition is in…” They have special doctors for people in that condition”. My psychologist recommended I use the internet… So we are now looking at the psychological aspects of love…I do not NEED anyone in my life… I have a very good and secure life. I do things by myself and with people too. My opinion is life is better when you have someone to share it with. I want a wife to share my life with! Feelings between a man and a woman are the most beautiful thing on earth… In order to love you must care for someone other than yourself… I do agree you should do things for yourself! And finding true love and happiness is doing something for yourself… Does anyone have any insight into Love and what real love is? Such as the release of endorphins in the brain. So that is why people get addicted to love. Did you know that the endorphins are opiates just like oxycontin…When you have sex, smile, and do physical activities you release these natural chemicals into your body…

Code:

| ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄|
  | BUNNY    |
  | SO       |
  | CONFUSED |
  |______|
(\__/) | 
(•ㅅ•) | 
/   づ

@1stewart >  :/  you are off topic. Have you read the first post of this thread?

Yes, I have read the first post and he later states the client is not a client and it was a scam. And the topic changed to scams. And it snowballed to dreamers and schemers wanting to steal your money... But the question was, is this a real offer? It is too good to be true, therefore, it must be a scam! And it was...And I reply to other post as the topic changed.
But it is all connected by human behavior secure and insecure feelings. I wish it would have been real for the person who posted because it would have changed his life for the better...We could all be happy and smile...

1stewart wrote:

Hi Cvco… I adamantly disagree with you.

Who is Covo here? Why not DanFromSF?

(Edit: Sorry Dan, I was wrong :D, F not P)

It's a well known 419 scam. At some pint, there may  a cheque being sent to you for something. The  overpayment should e sent back by Western Unon. Needless to say, the cheque's hot and won't be honored.

I string such scammers along as to keep them from working on other victims. www.419eater.com for tales of such scams.

For $ 9 k, you better bet one helluva teacher  :whistle:

1stewart wrote:

Hi Cvco… I adamantly disagree with you. I think the internet is an outstanding venue to meet someone and fall in LOVE. For the following reasons. I you must learn feeling words or vocabulary. This enables you to convey how you feel to another human being. You get to practice at expressing yourself… When you have to write it out on paper you must think about what you mean and how best to present yourself. Now about LOGIC… Logic is not always a matter of fact! Logic can and is wrong sometimes… Example on December 21st the first day of winter the sun is closer to the earth. Logical people think it would be in the summer. Logical people think their view is best and other views leaves something to be desired. Hold your hand up and look at your palm. You see 4 fingers and one thumb with lines or finger prints. Ask a friend what do they see? The friend does not see what You see. Your friend sees 4 fingers and a thumb with fingernails, but from your perspective you do not see the finger nails and your friend does nor see your fingerprints… One last thing when you face someone your right hand is their left hand which means you both have a different perspective… You both see things backwards in the other persons eyes… Therefore do not judge others until you see life from their vantage point… So the Internet is the future…Social media! Oh, I just drop in to see what condition my condition is in…” They have special doctors for people in that condition”. My psychologist recommended I use the internet… So we are now looking at the psychological aspects of love…I do not NEED anyone in my life… I have a very good and secure life. I do things by myself and with people too. My opinion is life is better when you have someone to share it with. I want a wife to share my life with!

Meetig s.o. online okay. But mistaking some FB chat for real communication will likely lead to misunderstandings and disappointment.

Dear Stewart. You are a philosopher.  I followed your moral advice and decided to practice online love. I am helping an elderly widow from Burkina Faso recover 100 million € from an opaque account in Andorra. Her husband was a diamond warlord turned to President of the Republic after a successful and profitable coup against a corrupt democratically elected president  She is going to give me 10% commission just for sending her a photocopy of my passport and 5.000€ for expenses, which I immediately did. Thanks to your bright insight. I feel so good about it that i'm going to send you a well deserved cut of my commission. Just send me 2.500 € for the paperwork and bank expenses. Cheers. A reputable user.  :dumbom:

Cruel comedy... Funny but...

I may be slow but I am ahead of you! Something that good you must keep for yourself! Please enjoy my share. Have a fantastic day.You are like my girlfriend too good to be true. Enjoy!
Stewart