Deciding on Belize

My home is in the Corozal area of Belize. I moved here over a year ago and really like it. (Some people would say Love, I reserve that for more important things)
There are people that say, visit for a while and then decide. I don't do that. I came here on a one week vacation. I liked it, bought a piece of land and moved here. My girlfriends son managed a resort in Belize. His visa was up, so he had to go back to the states, but said he would go back to Belize in a heartbeat. His feelings about Belize made me want it more.
My makeup is probably different then most people. When I go into a hardware store to buy a screwdriver. I look till I find the one that is what I want. I don't keep looking to find one a few pennies cheaper or a different color. I take it and leave.
My theory is find a place you like and move there and be happy about it. If you're an on the fence person, you will always be second guessing yourself: should I have moved to Brazil or Costa Rica and on and on.
Find happiness wherever you are planted.

skistrail wrote:

My home is in the Corozal area of Belize. I moved here over a year ago and really like it. (Some people would say Love, I reserve that for more important things)
There are people that say, visit for a while and then decide. I don't do that. I came here on a one week vacation. I liked it, bought a piece of land and moved here. My girlfriends son managed a resort in Belize. His visa was up, so he had to go back to the states, but said he would go back to Belize in a heartbeat. His feelings about Belize made me want it more.
My makeup is probably different then most people. When I go into a hardware store to buy a screwdriver. I look till I find the one that is what I want. I don't keep looking to find one a few pennies cheaper or a different color. I take it and leave.
My theory is find a place you like and move there and be happy about it. If you're an on the fence person, you will always be second guessing yourself: should I have moved to Brazil or Costa Rica and on and on.
Find happiness wherever you are planted.

Nice! I am looking long time down the road (next 7 years) and in the same general area as you, possibly Consejo for ease of shopping in Mexico. I really want a solid internet connection to access various forums and my website I hope that will be at full speed by then. But a lot can happen in the space of 7 years, no telling where I will end up. Glad it is all working out for you!

Home work and on site experience  still is a good idea before making a decision to move to a new country.

Well said... and plant yourself wherever you find happiness.......

I totally agree.  You can find happiness wherever you happen to be it is a choice after all.  But the nice weather, low cost of living and friendly people make it pretty easy down here.

That was a very inspiring post about happiness and contentment. Thank you!

After our second 10 day trip, we are just as convinced as after our first, that this is where we are retiring to. It's not based on anything other than our experiences and impressions made while there. Happiness is a state of mind, but I do think it can be related to factors like your immediate environment, so why not surround yourself with Belize? ( I have yet to come up with a better alternative, though Dr Al would say I have made the wrong choice!)
We love Belize and can't wait to move! We are looking for another piece of property in the Hummingbird area, and hope to start transitioning soon!  :)

Hi KarenJoe
I assume you have contacts in Humming Bird area . If you don,t and would like to have ,then I may be of help.

hey,
Thank you so much for your help. We elected not to come by the spice farm since you guys were not there this time. We will come by when you are. I had some business in Red Bank while there, but that was as far south as we got. Spent a wonderful week in Hopkins, including over the holiday weekend.
We have made an offer on a piece on Hummingbird, and hope to negotiate and close by the first of the year. The piece we bought in Camalote will close late next month.
We are so happy we chose Belize. Sometimes you know when something is right for you.
I will PM you something interesting which had to do with my visit, in part.

we are here in Spice farm . please visit at your convenience. Group from N.America (may be canadians purchased many plants from spice farm,. they are in Humming Bird area.
We are planning to visit them soon.

Nice. I will probably do the same. This property has little ginger on it, as well as a few acres(5) planted in citrus, bananas, cacao, mango, and some others. Can't wait to be full-time. We will be by next time there. We will be around mile 25-30, so not too far up.

karenjoe,  that is a beautiful area!

The soil is so rich there!  Just want to wish you and yours all the best. 

There are many in and around your area who will do what we can to help in the adjustment.  Listen to Spiceman.  He is a good, strong and sound voice for much here in Belize.  You will meet more and they all think the world of Spiceman as well!

Hey April 05,
Spiceman and I have some common interests and have had some conversations, and I trust his judgement - he has been in Belize quite a while now. He, like me, is a DIY Republican minimalist - a name bestowed on us by the Right Rev. Dr. Al.
Eveyone here has been really helpful, congenial, pleasant and a real pleasure to work with. We have met some really wonderful friends here. Very anxious to move, but we will have to bide our time for a little while.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. We are anxious to integrate.
:top: