Permanent visa based on marriage - Brasilia

Does anyone know how much time it takes in Brasilia to obtain permanent visa after a civil marriage?

If you've read any of the other topic threads about the VIPER Permanent Visa and marriage in Brazil you'd already know that the VIPER takes 2 years or more from the time you apply. Nobody can predict exactly how long, because it depends on where you live, how long it takes for the Federal Police to get around to doing the home visit, how long it takes for them to finally send your file to the Ministry of Justice, how long the MoJ takes to get off their butts and enter it into their computer system and how long to finally get someone, anyone to make a decision------- because all the above involves WORK. Nobody in government is very keen on WORK

Before posting would you please read some of the other postings on the same topic to see if your question hasn't already been answered. It would be greatly appreciated by all.

I have already read some of the posts and someone mentioned that the time to get a permanent visa depends also on the region. I wanted to know if it is somehow faster in Distrito Federal than in other Brazilian states. I know that it can take two years but I am more interested what is the average time in Brasilia.

It will probably take longer in Brasília than in many other places, due to a) the lack of Federal Police Agents dedicated to the job, b) number of communities surrounding Brasilia that they must serve.

The mere fact that the Ministério da Justiça is right there really doesn't make much of a difference at all, since they work (or more correctly - DON'T WORK) as they see fit, at their own schedule.

The entire system is awkward, cumbersome and even according to the President of the Conselho Nacional de Imigraçãoes in need of a complete overhaul and total revision of the laws surrounding immigration, nothing is being done to resolve the serious problems.

You just have to be patient, they take exactly as long as they wish to take and nothing you can do will speed them up. In fact, if you complain about delays, they'll quite often "misplace" your file or simply shuffle it to the bottom of the pile to delay even longer. That's the way it goes here and you just have to deal with it.

I thought it would be much faster here in Brasilia because there are not so many foreigners here as in Sao Paulo or Rio de Janeiro. I was always the only foreigner in the immigration office of Police federal. I guess, they also want to keep this process for a longer time for them to see if we are still together after a year or so. 

It complicates my life greatly. I have to use a bank account of my wife. In case, I want to open a company I have to hire a Brazilian that will administer my company until I receive my visa. He will have all powers to do anything he wants with my company (my wife cannot do it because she is a servidora publica). I would like also to invest into a construction of houses but I will have a problem to sell the houses because a potential buyer cannot get any loans from Caixa economica as Caixa economica requires that the seller has a Brasilian ID.

We are expecting a baby soon and I have a problem to gain money in a sector I know. I have to decide if to wait for my permanent visa based on marriage or to apply for an investor visa. I might be lucky and to get my permanent visa within a year.

Hi David3,

You can obtain your work permit (Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social - CTPS) right now. You don't have to wait for your RNE. You do however need to have your CPF (Cadastro de Pessoas Físicas) tax number.

You need only take your Marriage Certificate and a copy of it, your VIPER Permanent Visa protocolo and a copy of it to the Regional Superintendency of the Ministry of Labor and they will issue a CTPS that you will have to renew as often as you renew your protocolo for the VIPER until it is issued. Then they'll stamp your CTPS as permanent too.

Regarding CEF not financing unless the seller has an RNE number, they make their own rules. Some of which are really stupid and make absolutely no sense at all, but that's common for Brazil. Things don't need to make sense here.

If you play a winter sport, you might considered signing up for a Brazilian Olympic team.  You can gain citizenship in a couple of weeks that way.  More than one Brazilian consulate told me that my permanent visa would be approved more quickly in Porto Alegre. If 17 months strikes you as quickly, then you might consider flying here to start the application.  However, it might take the standard 2 years for most people today as I received mine four years ago.    Also note, the people charged with dealing with this might prefer to deal only with people living locally -- I'm not sure.  Also, the Polícia Federal here always had foreigners in line waiting for services, so I doubt that has any effect on wait time.  Good luck!

Obtaining a permanent visa based on marriage may take sometimes even more than one year.  It's a very slow process, depending on the Federal Police and central administration in Brasilia. It is well know that the Federal police will visit your address in Brazil just to check if you are really living together.

What will help in speeding-up the process is when there are children involved.

Good luck and be patient,

Melle J. de Jong

My husband's visa took 2 months and the RNE 5 months after his arrival

anamattta wrote:

My husband's visa took 2 months and the RNE 5 months after his arrival

Two months? Obviously he applied for the VIPER Permanent Visa abroad, they NEVER are granted that quickly here in Brazil, not even in Brasília. They take around 2 years on average here.

Hi there! So I just did this process in August here in Belo horizonte, and it should be the same process. As I was here with a work visa it made things a little easier because I was already registered with the Federal Police. However there was a new law that was passed that specifically changes the process and actually makes it easier for you! Here is the announcement: Legislação migratória simplificada

If you have all the correct paperwork, all you have to do now is wait 60 days and you will receive your CIE with the permanent status! No visit, no more bureaucracy, less work for them too!

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need any further help!

Legislação migratória simplificada

No more visits as of Sept. 1st

Great news!  Now let's see if they really can keep up their end at the DPF throughout the whole country.