80000 Euros as a Gross salary for a family of 6

Hi All,

I am moving to Heidelberg on a work permit, is 80000 Euros per year is a good salary after heavy taxes to live with a family of six.

any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

qsm

This is more than double the average German household income.
Thus you should be o.k.

Thanks for your reply, but i heard after tax i will be just getting 44000 Euros

regards

qsm

The situation for taxes and other deductibles is very complicated (get a good tax consultant!) and hits all earners, not just you.
On http://www.brutto-netto-rechner.info you can get an indication.
Assuming you are married, 35 years old, not member of a church, live in Bavaria and have dependent 4 kids (yes, all these things - and more - have an influence!), you'd get over €52000/year into your pocket. This is still more than double the average (post-tax) household income.

Thanks for the clarification my friend, can you please share about kids school info what is the education system there.

Local schooling is free of charge and entirely in German (except language classes, obviously). As a foreigner, you can apply for an exemption to be allowed to send your kids to an international school. These are few and quite expensive.
What else do you want to know?

Thanks so much for your kind information, which helps me a lot to decide

As others have written, 80,000 Euros is a pretty good salary but it also depends on the life style one has. Schools are the big factor. Public schools are good and free but in German. International schools with English instruction are expensive, so if one is staying longer in the country, it is advisable to get the kids integrated and getting along in German as quick as possible. I am posting a link to the International school in Heidelberg. The tuition starts at over 12,000 Euros per year for grade 1 and goes up to over 17,000 Euros for the upper grades. Plus there is a 365 annual enrollment fee plus a special fee of 3,000 Euros/year the first 2 years in the school. In addition comes other costs for lunches, field trips, extra school activities etc. I looked at the International school in Frankfurt for comparison and it was about 20% more expensive. With so many kids, it would cost most of what you earn just for the schools. You should contact the school(s) and discuss the possibilities but I would think you would want to prepare the kids as well as possible before moving and hopefully some can go directly to the public school and the others transfer after a year or two. Unless it is a temporary assignment, learning German can be seen as an opportunity as well as a necessity and many younger kids manage to get along well within a  year or two of being immersed in the language. http://www.hischool.de/

Hi there,

In my case, I have landed with one school-age kid (12 yrs. old) in Germany, the lander of Schleswig-Holstein, an as the international schooling was rather not cheap, my son now goes to a real-schulle in an international class where the second language is German.

It would be maybe fruitful before making any decisions in that regards to check with the Shullamt (the nearest educational authorities) what would be their opinion for your case.

As for the salary ceiling I believe would be enough to continue with your quality of life and not to be excluded of the major social happenings in the vicinity of your future habitation.

And then, of course, good luck.

Heidelberg is workable but Frankfurt and Munich NO

Hi my friend, I hope all well, did you make it to Germany? And what did you find about the job salary was it okay to live, buy a home and keeping the same life style that you were in back home?
My company is offering the same about 78 to 85 k in euro, close to Frankfurt . so. I am wondering if that will be enough to raise a family of. 2 with 3 kids, 13' 11' and 5 years old. Any advise is greatly appreciated from all.

As I wrote above already, that kind of salary is a very good one at any measure. But of course it's possible to spend it all and still need more. If that happens, you only have yourself to blame. Look out for high cost items like accommodation and schooling (if you opt not to use free public schools).

Hi,  i am in the same scenario.  Family of six with offer of77K.  How did you manage?  Do you recommend?

I got an offer for 77K gross.  I have a family of 6.  Wife not working and kids are school going.  Is this a salary to have a comfortable family life - especially for kids to have fun.

Curstoncoetzee: This thread has been inactive for five years - and the OP was last seen here in 2019. I am afraid you might not get a reply from him. But you are welcome to start a new thread with your questions (after searching the forum and not finding the answers).

Thank you