Living in Mauritius

Hey there guys,
I am currently living in Johannesburg in South Africa, which is a 4 hour flight from Mauritius and I am looking at the prospect of moving there for about a year or 2 for work purposes.
I have been to Mauritius on holiday in 2010 and it is a lovely place.
My question here is what would it cost me roughly for decent accommodation, traveling and food per month.  I am not a fussy eater
Also, would I be able to get around easily with public transport, me coming from just jumping into my car and going.

Thanks guys

Maybe the Number 214 will give you an idea (Though dated 2012)

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 90&p=6

Also don't expect to have many braais with red meat :P:)

Thanks korn1,
Thanks for the update.

That post is a bit old though so prices would be way off

Seafood Braai will have to do then :top:

(Moderated : no free advertising here, please register in the business directory).

Plenty of Red Meat here :)
Plenty of supermarkets here sell South African & Australian meat. i.e. Beef, Lamb, Pork, Sausages etc
And very reasonable priced too - Fillet of beef from Monoprix - South African Beef is what we all buy for BBQ's

I think as the Expat's have grown, so have the food choices:)

Honestly, you can live incredibly cheap here or live very luxuriously. It really just depends on how much you want to eat, go out drinking etc. If you need a car that makes things quite a bit more expensive. You can get a used motorbike really cheap though. I spent just over $200 a month for rent in Triolet and then food just depends upon your tastes. You can live off rice and beans for as cheap as you could do it anywhere else.

We found the best meat was South African at Foodlovers  (La Croisette or Bagatelle)
Not so impressed by Super U's Meat.

daisymay2 wrote:

We found the best meat was South African at Foodlovers  (La Croisette or Bagatelle)
Not so impressed by Super U's Meat.

Have to agree with Daisy on this although we like the meat at Pick & Pay or Monoprix :)

Car hire: Average is Rs15,000 per month for a Nissan March - well that's what I pay, although with hindsight I should have bought one when we arrived on the Island 4 years ago ;)