Moving to Melbourne with wife and children, from Singapore

Hi all

It is good that I discover this thread. My family and I are granted the PR last year and we have also taken our first entry last year. We are planning our move sometime next year. Currently awaiting for my new born baby child migration visa to be granted (usually approved).

However securing a job seems to be rather a challenge only a few calls so far after one year of job applications online. However, once they knew that I am still based in KL they lost interest and advised that I should contact them once I am there. I am now considering going over to Perth without a job and then to hunt for a casual job and full time job while riding on the casual job. By the way I am in IT line.

Just wondering how is the job market now in Perth and Melbourne. Which city would be having better opportunities? Friends in Melbourne have been painting the picture that the job market situation is rather bad now and advise to hold on to our move.

We are thinking to start schooling for our elder 5 year old boy there. Therefore we can not wait any longer plus we have wasted one year ever since the visa grant was approved last year.

Fellow SG n MY mates
I saw some posts about western suburbs,can anyone share which area are with good security and schools? My network all stay in the East and agree those area have properties prices inflated due to good popular schools there.

Enjoy Life - not sure if you still follow this forum, but interestingly I read your kids are in private schools? Can you share your thoughts instead of public schools why private as I know they charge hefty sums. One of the benefits to come over with PR visa is to benefit from the public education entitled to.

Would it be better to stay in a less expensive and less mature area and put them in private schools if the area do not have offer good schools?

[Moderated: Please register in the business directory + post in the jobs section ]

Any Singaporean staying in Glen Waverley?

I'm thinking of migrating over to Melbourne in 2017 and would like to stay in Glen Waverley. 

Any advice as to whether should I purchase a property in Glen Waverley before I move over?

pris_syan wrote:

Any Singaporean staying in Glen Waverley?

I'm thinking of migrating over to Melbourne in 2017 and would like to stay in Glen Waverley. 

Any advice as to whether should I purchase a property in Glen Waverley before I move over?

Hi and welcome to Expat.com.

I take it you will be seeking work here when you come over. Have you applied for a visa. If not then check out www.immi.gov.au for all visa information and applications.

Is there a reason why you want to buy in Glen Waverley area. Property prices are on the rise in Melbourne and no sign of it dropping yet. Australia is now rated as the highest priced real estate in the world and has the 4th highest priced economy in the world too.

For cost of living check out www.numbeo.com

Hi stumpy,

My husband applied for skillselect visa 189 and we got the visa in May. We made our first entry to Australia a few days after.

We stayed in Glen Waverley for a month last year during our vacation and really like the place. There are a lot of asian, easy to find asian groceries/ food and the place is very safe. On top of that, there are a lot of good public primary  and secondary schools in Glen Waverley.

We cannot afford the million dollars property but the apartment is within our means. I'm wondering whether is it a wise choice to buy an apartment first before the price goes even higher? We will migrate over in 2017, the apartment can be rented out to cover the mortgage.

pris_syan wrote:

Hi stumpy,

My husband applied for skillselect visa 189 and we got the visa in May. We made our first entry to Australia a few days after.

We stayed in Glen Waverley for a month last year during our vacation and really like the place. There are a lot of asian, easy to find asian groceries/ food and the place is very safe. On top of that, there are a lot of good public primary  and secondary schools in Glen Waverley.

We cannot afford the million dollars property but the apartment is within our means. I'm wondering whether is it a wise choice to buy an apartment first before the price goes even higher? We will migrate over in 2017, the apartment can be rented out to cover the mortgage.

Sounds like you have things well in hand. I would pursue the idea of buying now and renting the premises out. You would need to have a good real estate agent to take care of that for you and they will take a percentage of the rent as a fee. With the new budget coming into affect July there is talk that the Reserve Bank here will consider dropping interest ratesto stop the budget kick in from slowing the economy. I have a daughter in real estate in Melbourne and she deals in rental properties.

Hi everyone. How are you? I am a Singaporean currently residing in Singapore and will be migrating to Melbourne this December.

I would like to get to know fellow Singaporeans like yourself to expand my circle of friends, if you do not mind.

Thanks. Hope to hear from you.

[Moderated: No free ad]

To all the folks already in mel... if you guys have any familiar property agents (or those whom you think are 'decent/honest' after working with them before..) possible to intro to me...
i'm preparing to make the move to mel in Jan-15.. would like to talk to someone wrt what are the housing options i hv..

tks in advance...

slamdunk168 wrote:

To all the folks already in mel... if you guys have any familiar property agents (or those whom you think are 'decent/honest' after working with them before..) possible to intro to me...
i'm preparing to make the move to mel in Jan-15.. would like to talk to someone wrt what are the housing options i hv..

tks in advance...

Welcome to the forum.
Melbourne is rather a large city and real estates agents tend to work in different areas. You would need to pick maybe 2 suburbs and then chase up real estate agents in those areas.The area will depend on where you are working.