Work permit - VISA in Kenya

Dear Expat.comers,

I have 24 years and my company would like to send me to work in their office (locally registered company) in Nairobi.
My salary would be 1800 EUR in the IT industry sales department.
What I heard is that it is possible to register  for work permit (VISA) legally for around 4000 EUR and wait for two months.
Or pay 10000 EUR and get the permit after a week for sure.
Both permits (4000 or 10000 EUR cost) are for a 2 years period.

My question is, if there is any lower cost and shorter duration work permit in Kenya.

Thank you all in advance for any advice or help,

Enjoy,

It is your employer who should apply for the work permit (class D), on your behalf and show evidence that they have tried to fill the position locally, or cannot find Kenyans with the right skills.

Thank you for the follow up. I agree that the employer should do this. Thing is, they are not sure if it would be cost efficient to send me to Kenya if the work permit would be 4000EUR or even worse 10000 EUR. I personally would like to go to Kenya and that is why I am doing my research to maybe find a secondary lower cost, shorter duration solution.

How can my employer get the evidence that they can not find Kenyans with the right skills? (I have to work on several software's, the training takes minimum a month and the software experts are in EU)

work permit here would not cost you thousands of  just simpler it would easily be done if u knock right doors !
thanks

I don't understand the Eur4000/10 000 thing.  The fee for the work permit is fixed; I think its is Ksh 200 000 for two years, plus some other fees such as registration as an alien (I am unable to open the relevant website to check, so I could be wrong on the amount).  There is not a lower cost, shorter duration of work permit.  If you go, you will have to go on a 3 month single entry visa (obtainable on arrival), under which any work is prohibited.

In Kenya, there is always a way to get official documents by 'knocking on the right doors' ie; bribing.  For something desirable, such as a work permit, this can add a considerable amount to the published fee.  I wonder whether this is where the Eur 4000/10 000 is coming in. 

The disadvantage of going to Kenya before your work permit is issued would be that there is a chance that it may not be issued within the 3 month single entry visa period (which you can apply to have extended for a further 3 months).  The advantage is that you would be 'closer to the action'.

Hi,
I will check on my friend who processes work permit for an international Company and advise on the costing.
My email is [email protected]
Kind regards,
William

Thank you a lot William.   :)

get back to my email address i give you details.

Dear Dennis,

I am an immigration Lawyer here and i understand your frustration. The past year saw a slow rate in approval of work permits basically due to change of government and policy issues. From last month, the process has easened out and more permits are being issued. Its however impossible to get a work permit in a week due to the inter-governmental verifications involved. As someone had mentioned above, come in with your tourist visa and in less than a month your permit will be issued.
Your employer is mandated to apply for your class D visa, it costs Ksh 10,000 (about 80 Euros) for application fees and Ksh 200,000 (1540 euros) only payable when the permit isapproved and issued. Depending on the lawyer/immigration agency you use, their legal fees will be different. That said, 4000-10,000 Euros is a ridiculously high sum to pay. Also, let your employer advertise the position on online platforms such as brightermonday.co.ke and other kenyan platforms. That's sufficient proof. Getting a permit in Kenya isn't impossible. It is getting a permit renewed that can cause a migraine.

Nothing is impossible, welcome to Kenya. I wish you the very best

(Moderated: no free ads here please + register in the business directory)