Planning to move to Honduras soon

Hi, we are Americans hoping to move to Honduras within the year.  We would like to meet fellow expats that would be willing to share their experience and offer any advice. We have not been there but travelled internationally and from the information we have, Honduras sounds what we are looking for, a place to start an adventure, own a business, and enjoy a relaxed lifestyle. 

Vanessa and Justin Boone

Vanessa & Justin

Well your looking in the right spot if your looking to start a business, adventure and an affordable relaxing lifestyle.

I personally know 3/4 of the expats in La Ceiba along with foreigners that own property here in La Ceiba. Even if you are not looking to purchase a property I can hook you up with people to meet.

You should make a visit before you move obviously. You can contact me and my wife

Thank you for responding, we are going to try to visit first. have you or your wife been over to the island of Roatan? that is where we are thinking to relocate, and maybe have a B&B or some type of touring business to keep every day a different day all the time. We live in San diego now so we are now stranger to the sun but still are wondering how much different the living down there would be? like weather, storms, cost of living, clothes, food, housing, furniture, ect... We also see that the town your in sounds nice and offers a lot to do. is there a lot of spring break traffic there? Also we would like it if you could share other contacts of other friends of business owner you know.

I don't go to Roatan much and live in La Ceiba. You will have to feel out several areas when you visit. Living outside The US is very different. You will see for yourself. La Ceiba is very busy during Easter week and The Gran Carnaval is hosted in La Ceiba every May. A LOT of people here from all over.

Hi Vanessa And Justin.  We have been living in Trujillo Honduras for the last 3 years on and off.  If you are interested in coming down to see the beauty of Trujillo Honduras with its lush rain forests surrounding the bay msg me and I can hook you up at the Campamento Hotel.  Good Luck

Gino

Yes. We spent two years there in the mountains. Ask any questions you want!

Hi, I have lived on Roatan for 12 years and love it here. We have the largest expat community in the country and it is by far the safest place in the country to live. We also have numerous international flights out of our international airport so you can be in your home in 15-20 minutes from landing. Roatan has many, many awards fro being one of the top destinations in the world to move or retire to. My email address is [email protected]. I would be happy to send you info if you write to me.

Hi! I haven't heard back from you folks so I hope you have a pleasant experience in your travels. Since I sent you the last note we have taken a motorcycle trip for over a month through Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama.It was a glorious adventure and ticks one thing off the bucket list. We found a couple of places in Costa Rica we loved and the people were amazingly kind and helpful. We loved the country but it is about as expensive as in North America. We didn't enjoy Nicaragua much. Mostly too much like mainland Honduras. After all these years we took or first trip to Trujillo. We would never go back. The road was horrible. It was a very, very long rough trip from La Ceiba. The people were not very friendly, the streets in town were no better than the highway, the town was hot and dirty.and the beach was a shadow of Roatan's. After all the hype it was a big disappointment. Two of our favorite places from all our.travels were Roatan which seems to have pretty well the best combination of everything, and Valle de Angeles up in the mountains about 20 minutes from Tegucigalpa. No water there of course but spectacular scenery, flowers everywhere, perfect climate due to the altitude, clean and friendly.

Any way, if you want some assistance please drop me a line.

Best of Life!

Edward du Monceaux

Hello IslandEd1.
You seem just the sort of well travelled island hopper I need to speak to.
I'm going to be moving to central america this time next year and its between Honduras and Costa Rica. I know both these places require you leave the country before your visa runs out and then re-apply. I was hoping of spending three months in costa and then sailing up the coast to roatan, staying for three months and then just keep repeating that pattern. Is this possible?
Also, would I be able to use my boat for giving island tours or fishing trips or is this frowned upon?
I have many questions, which I'm sure you have answered many times but finding real time, reliable and honest information is tricky. I'm not interested in whats supposed to happen but what actually happens in both countries regarding visas etc and how expats are welcomed by the locals, or not.
Many thanks.
Paul.

Hi Paul,

Your plan could work fine.Officially to work here or in Costa Rica you need to get residency. You could likely get away with it for a while but that would be my recommendation in either place you decide to call home. It is the right way to do it and makes life easier. My attorney for that wrote the Immigration Act for the country so I can refer you to get it done right.

I love Costa Rica and have many good friends there. It is very different though. Although it is still a 3rd world country with many of the same challenges as here there are many positive attributes primarily due to the many years of lots of tourist dollars. Still internet sucked and it is very expensive for almost everything.

Honduras is on the fast track right now to follow CR's lead. It is much less expensive to travel or live here. Roatan is under the flag of Honduras but that is where the association stops. We have a different history, culture, language, climate, customs and even different seasons. We are an island in the Caribbean. Our crime rate is 1/2 to 1/3 of almost all of the popular destinations you are familiar with.

I am actually just running out to spend the day with a developer from the Caymans so the best bet formore communications is through email at [email protected] or better yet, Skype. I will be available from tomorrow on. Just log onto Skype and ask to connect to islanded. We can have a face to face then. Talk to you soon!

Best of Life!

Edward

Hi Paul! How are the plans coming?

Best of Life!

Edward

where were you thinking of living?
kate b.

My husband and I hope to be there before Christmas permanently in Trujillo. It's a beautiful place. We are excited for our new journey as well.

(Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls)