Age Discrimination China - You too, if lucky, will be old some day.

Human Rights Watch China should have mentioned long ago about China's age discrimination policy for anyone over 55. Things get really dicey trying to find a teaching gig at 59.
The Chinese Constitution states unequivocally, "The Right to work." Yet, the Chinese muck it up like being a tourist abroad showing no manners, no etiquette, and respect for the rights of others.
It's tremendously counter productive to society economically as well. Less taxes for the government, less retired westerners buying property and settling down if they can't enhance their pension by working part time on the side.
Good god man, this behavior is illegal in most of the developed western countries.
When are these people going to behave in a civilized manner recognized by the rest of the world? They have completely lost it as they learn to be new predator capitalists. It's such a shame. I hate to move and say goodbye to my Chinese friends.
You got to back me up on this for your own self interest. You too will get old some day, with luck. This behaviour has got to stop.

Think how lucky the Chinese they can retire far earlier than we can.

It's not personal. You (and I) are past the Chinese retirement age - why should they make an exception for you?

I have my own company so I can continue for a few more years.

it's not about making an exception, it's all about bringing the Chinese up to international standards of etiquette, thinking, and behavior.
Age discrimination can ruin lives. It's a mark of backwardness and ignorance. It is unacceptable in the international arena and an embarrassment to the principles China was founded on.
Is China the "worker's nation," or has it been conquered by predator capitalists?
What part of "The Right to work" in the Chinese Constitution do these people have trouble understanding?

But Beijingyank, do you think you are going to bring them up to a standard you like? Fact is, Asia is highly discriminatory and racist and runs on young people, simple as that. In a sense they are not backward at all, it just human for the old to go off so that the young can take their place. But think where you are...well not at home where there are laws. Asia will likely never have laws about this and even if they did, how do you believe they will voluntarily change their mindset and 5000-year old culture? By this age, 60, people are not supposed to be looking for jobs, they are supposed to be consolidating their wealth and taking active steps to retirement. I realize not all can do that and have to work longer but you cant blame China or anywhere for that, they have nothing to do with the fact that a 60 year old is still looking for work. Its not a matter of discrimination at all but poor planning on your part. Dont push laws and ways on them to counter your own faults. I knew this was going to happen and so I created my own employment starting from right out of school and though I have to work until the day i die i will not have depended on a single other human being for so much as a bowl of rice. If you give them that power, sure they will screw you. But here you are in trouble, just as predicted and you have to quickly re-invent your life. Too bad it has to be in such a rough place as Asia.

International standards???? You are joking aren't you?

Don't you mean your US Standards? They don't apply in most countries outside the USA, different country different rules. Isn't that something you should have checked out before deciding to immigrate?

PEOPLE DON'T PLAN TO FAIL - THEY JUST FAIL TO PLAN

Really ironic just how many people want to jump ship (especially Americans) and when they get to their host country expect it to be just like it is back home. Not a very realistic expectation.

You should have know from the start that you could not get a work visa if you are over 60.  I am there and I have learned to live with it.  I live in China on my retirement and think that it is much better than I could have lived in the USA.

wjwoodward wrote:

International standards???? You are joking aren't you?.

I think he's serious.

In cases such as this, my advice is always the same.
If you want to live in your home country's conditions, live in your home country instead of trying to make everyone else change to suit you.

I think you are right. There is discrimination in China, and some people don't hide this. Also there are simply too many people look for jobs today, I think. Why don't you try a freelance job first?

Ha, ,,, you know I myself am trying at 53 to move from United States to China, set up an art studio and be in business. It is not that easy my friend.  I assume with 2.2 billion Chinese, the government has to be in control of people taking the jobs that are not Chinese.  I am going to get married to a Chinese woman so I can get some opportunity.  But all in all I agree with you.

I feel your pain on the age discrimination, I too have been exposed to this.  However, this is China not the west, its their law that you retire at 55 and as long as you live here I guess you must swallow it.  China does many things differently than the west.  In the west, they CAN'T ask you for your Date of Birth, they also cant ask you for a picture to be attached to your resume, but again, this is China.  This is the hypocrisy of the law; 5 of the 6 top leaders in the country are older than me and I am over 65. Therefore, am I to assume that its less stressful to run an entire developing country than to teach English to a class of high school kids?  I am truly sorry you are going through this, even at my age, I am in better shape than most Chinese men, who tend to give up on life one they are retired.  If you wish to discuss this further, please don't hesitate to contact me at [email protected] Sincerely, Laurence

Bad news - Marrying a Chinese woman does not give the right to work in China.

You will be able to get a non-working dependants visa.

If you want to be able to work legally (issue you need a work visa (Z visa)

Hey Larry, I wonder if we are talking about a law, regulation, or guide line regarding the issuance of work visas in China? Doesn't anyone realize how ignorant it is to have age restrictions for teachers in education?
Teachers come to China to acquaint the Chinese to western culture and language. The best teachers are the ones that come with the experience of living. This is an example of how backward these rules are. Noam Chomsky couldn't get a Chinese work permit. Age discrimination is barbaric, third world thinking, whose very nature by international standards is repugnant, vile, and illegal. 
So much for Article 10 in The Chinese Constitution and "The Right to work."
This is a country of men, not a country of common law. Is this what the government is telling us?
I will be talking to friends in the American government about a strategy that could be of help.
These Chinese rules are itching to be mentioned in the Human Rights Report at the State Department.
Perhaps "push back" comes with the United States not issuing visas to Chinese over the age of 60. Maybe that would wake them up about how to behave in a civilized world.

I agree, the freelance job is best. Incorporate your company and set out on your own. good luck is all I can say.