6 month transfer for work - office in Maroussi

Hi there,

I'm Sarah ...I'm an Aussie who has lived in London for the last decade. Work has now asked me to spend 6 months in our office in Maroussi and I'm now working out where to live. All suggestions are welcome.

I will likely have to work long days initially during the week. I'm also interested in getting fit whilst I'm out here so I would be interested in good facilities in the area. I'll be moving as a single female so I would be keen to live in an area that was relatively safe. Keen to have a true 'Greek' experience though so I would welcome all advice.

Thanks,

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Thank you for your introduction.

Concerning your accommodation search, i would invite you to post an advert in the housing in Greece section as well. ;)

(Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls + register in the business directory)

Hi Sarah,

Marousi is a safe upper/middle class area and it would be a real advantage to find digs there too. You want to avoid having to commute at all costs. You will easily find workout places there and its safe to be out all times of day and night alone because everyone is out all the time. Greece is a nice place to live but you will discover plenty of chaos and disorganization. Climate is great but be prepared for a rather huge cultural shock. If you can bend with the wind you'll do fine. Good luck!

My husband & I are moving out in Sept. His office is in Marousi but we are concentrating our house hunt in kifissia. I too will be looking into finding a decent gym with fitness classes in the area. Any suggestions would also be welcome?
I'm up for a gym buddie? :)

Hi Michimo, welcome to Athens.
I've been looking for new friends too since we moved here on March. We live in Kifisia, my husband works in Marousi, have you got some housing agency to search with?
Oh and about the gym...would love to do it ! I never join a class, but it would be great to start with a friend hehe, i saw some gym in and around Kifisia and Marousi, maybe we can hunt together?
I'll be here if you contact me..

Have a nice day

Gabrielle

Sounds great. I love going to Zumba in the UK so will be definitely trying to find a class to do over there. I've found a few online so with definitely be up for some company. ;)

I just found a 70 m2 apartment in maroussi through an agency. You should try ti get help if you havent found an apartment yet.
If you need help i got a couple of agencies numbers.

Hi Gabrielle/ Michimoo,

I hope your both well and you've settled in. I'll be working now in Marousi and found a place in Kafisia which I should move into in a couple of weeks.

In Marousi there is the Holmes place which is definitely the pricey end of the gyms at approx 115 a month or in Kafisia I've found the mega gym is offering a whole years membership for only 189!

I think it depends on whether you have a car or not though as both look great but it just depends on your location.

Anyway I hope you're both well. I'd love to hear how your settling in.

All the best,

Sarah

I'm having the nightmare of trying to find the right property! So far in 3 days I have seen 17 different properties!! To say I'm sick of looking is  an understatement.

We have narrowed it down to 3 & I'm trying to work out if I can put up with the noise of the one in Central Kifissia for an excellent location near everything! As at home in the UK we live in a very quiet house.

Does the mega gym have fitness classes like Zumba?

Michimoo

I found a place in Kifisia too last week & we move in a few weeks time. Where is the mega gym? I couldn't find it?

Hi sarah, thanks for the info,
and welcome to Athens,
been settling up quite well here with my family, one by one our furniture came, now just keep searching for the best dinning chairs hehehe... and also a base table..
Looking forward to hear from you, maybe we could have a coffee sometime, just let me know (i'm desperate also to find friends here ! )  ;)

Gabrielle