Stories Wanted by Newbie!

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a bit of advice. It's a bit long, but please bear with me.

I've been looking at the cic.gc.ca website trying to understand how to secure a job in Canada. While it is very comprehensive, it is also quite confusing.

I am 31, married, degree holder, 10 years experience and have a bit of savings in the bank. With this in mind, according to the website, I need an employer to offer me a job and with this job offer I can apply to get a temporary working visa. Sounds simple so please correct me if I am wrong.

What I'd like to know is, how likely is this to happen? Has anyone here successfully applied from outside Canada within the last 5 years? What was your experience and how long did it take? Looking at the visa processing times for applying for a work permit from outside Canada fills my heart with dread - between 6-8 months! Is it the done thing for an employer to apply on my behalf from inside Canada, there by quickening the visa process? We came to Hong Kong with nothing but I found it quite easy to get a job here and my employer sorted out my working visas within the first month, can I hope for this experience in Canada? Is there anyone here that has emploied someone from outside Canada?

Anybodies advise or stories would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Eleanorjane

Bump ity bump

I know someone who were expats based in Ireland. The wife got a job offer here in Halifax, NS. She got her temp work permit in 4 mths albeit there were some issues but they got it sorted out. That's the most I can say for them because I didn't really ask more details. As for my own experience, its different, I got my temp work permit while in Canada.

While it is possible to find a job and get a job offer while you're still abroad, it's certainly much easier if you are in Canada to do a "boots on the ground" job search. You also have the advantage over other applicants who are still abroad when applying, since you would be available for a personal interview. Despite the fact that we're living in the "information age", many people in Human Resources still do not like conducting "long distance" interviews either via telephone or video conferencing.

If you do not have the funds to come to Canada on a Visitor Visa and do your job hunting, or if you insist on job hunting online anyway then try www.monster.ca  and  www.workopolis.com.

If you do not have any particular city in mind where you'd want to reside then I would strongly recommend that you look for work in the Province of Alberta, especially in Calgary or Edmonton.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team