Just Moved to Jordan

Hello all.  Family just moved to Amman from Thailand this month.  I am American and my wife is Thai.  We have 2 children.  And literally just arrived 22 days ago.  I work in government consulting and travel across the MENA region.  My wife is a homemaker. 

I've read a couple posts from people thinking the Jordanians aren't very friendly, etc.  Couldn't disagree more.  We live in a family owned building and are the only non family family in the building and they have all been very welcoming and helpful.  I have lived in other Arab countries and so far find the Jordanians the most friendly and least insular of the MENA countries I've lived in.

Does anyone know of any Thai community in Amman?  And could anyone recommend a good bank?  We are currently with Capital Bank, but to say their customer service is lacking ... is an understatement.

Welcome on board to this site and ahlan wa sahlan fi Urdun  :cheers:

Or in English: welcome in Jordan.
Everybody has different experiences about Jordanian, depends who you met.
About banking: I had some bad experiences so I am not useful on this matter.

If you are looking for Thai community you can try the network section in the green banner above the page.

Maybe a stupid question but what are the MENA countries?  :unsure

Hi.  MENA ... Middle East & North Africa.  Geographical reference most companies use to refer to the area.

Hi,
Welcome to Jordan!  I'm sure as you settle in you will grow fond of many things here.  I'm an American from the a Pacific NW. 

I would suggest for a Thai community contact the Thai Embassy, if there is one, you can Google it.  Ask them if they have a group of ladies/wives at the embassy that might meet or someone who might show your wife around.

As for banking....... There is no customer service like we get back home.  I believe they are all the same unless you are a millionaire/VIP.   Money talks and so if you have little to deposit you basically take a number.....

Hope you enjoy yourselves and find the support you need.

Sincerely,

VWBug

Hello,

As far as the banks, I have tried almost every major bank in Jordan and they all suck, sorry to say. Even the banks that seem to be international are not connected to other banks from the same chain. Last bank that I tried was HSBC which the worst bank I have seen in my life. Stay with your current bank and be very careful.

As far as any Thai community activites, I was in the Thai embassy several months ago for a function related to the Thai and Jordanian business association...I can get you more info, if you like?

Sorry I have to disagree with you about Jordanians being friendly, I think most people here are rude by nature!! almost vile and you have to be very careful, all you need is one bad experience, generally speaking it is very hard to form an opinion about a country after 22 days.

thanks and good luck!

Hi,we are moving to Jordan next month and I would like to meet new people(specially families with kids). I am Romanian and my husband is Jordanian. We have 2 girls(3and 5). Thank you!

You can express the MENA countries with Arab World, it more familiar to be understood. Housing Bank has more branches here in Jordan, you can find it every where, also Arab Bank is also famous for Jordanian, about the service you have to try and tell us how it is.

as Primadonna wrote

Everybody has different experiences about Jordanian, depends who you met.

, so please let us now before you leave about Jordanian.

Hello, I am Thai and just moved to Amman with my husband 3 months ago.He is American work for ICADA base in Amman. We lives in Abdoun near British embassy. I am looking for Thai friends here :)

vwbug wrote:

Hi,

As for banking....... There is no customer service like we get back home.  I believe they are all the same unless you are a millionaire/VIP.   Money talks and so if you have little to deposit you basically take a number.....

Hope you enjoy yourselves and find the support you need.

Sincerely,

VWBug

Welcome,
I decided to chose the most harmless and therefore logical critic. Banking is easy and fair, mistakes can happen everywhere. Abroad one waits in a line, here one picks a number, takes a seat and waits ones turn. I have no idea how money talks in this connection for average banking issues, never heard though that millionaires around the world do not enjoy a special service. Customer services either in branches or call centers is professional and profound and available in English.

I'm so Please to know you are Thai. I'm Bell just arrived here, I work for Thai Embassy. Shall we meet for drink some tea together. Hope to see you soon

My phone num is **********
Line ID :***********

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security