Soon to depart for Jinan! Help!

Do the exclamations points make this post seem more dramatic? Well now that I have your attention! I am leaving for a year in Jinan on September 30. Very excited and equal parts somewhat overwhelmed by the proposition. I am hoping there may be someone on this wonderful forum who might be able to impart some advice about what to expect upon arrival and in the first few weeks of my time there. My offer is to repay this kindness with an appropriately local night out on the town when I touch down.

A few questions I have:
1. Banking: What can expect specific to establishing an account for monthly paychecks and withdrawing money
2. Transportation: I am sure this will be a trial by fire proposition but any hints would be helpful
3. Phone service: Should I bring my iPhone?
4. Meeting fellow expats: Where should I go? Where can I meet YOU?

Any other tips would awesome and like I said, returned in kind. Thank you in advance!

Hey there! Would you happen to be teaching at Best Learning? I've been living in Jinan and working there for the past 6 months and our HR lady told me another Floridian will come soon...

Anyway,

1. Banking: IF you will be a teacher (at Best Learning or other training school), you will not be paid by checks, just in cash. You can set up a bank account with the help of someone Chinese really easily and get your ATM card the same day.

2. Transportation: There are cabs EVERYWHERE which are really affordable but you can also take city buses for 1-2 RMB.

3. Phone service: Bring your American phone if it can accept SIM cards, make sure you check with your wireless provider and speak to someone to make sure your phone will work with a Chinese SIM card in it. (i.e. I had to arrange for Verizon to make it possible for me to use my iPhone.)

4. Meeting fellow expats: There is a hefty handful of us living in Jinan, maybe over 40 of us that go out and about.

I'm still fairly new to Jinan. I've been here 7 weeks and didn't have any luck meeting/finding other expats. My campus was on vacation... so I was kind of living in a ghost town, and the foreign affairs rep was away a lot. I got the basics, then was left on my own. I made 2 local friends who spoke ok English, and they helped me out a lot.

1. My university pays by direct deposit. They got me set up with a bank account. To do online banking (really complicated in China), you need a phone number as some banks verify transactions through text. I suggest you get your phone situation sorted out before going to the bank.

2. Yup, lots of cabs. I can't speak Chinese, yet, so I don't use them. There are a bazillion bus lines. I usually map out the route to where I want to go on GoogleMaps (I suggest you have a VPN already before you get here), and I use my phone to track my location in case I made a mistake. Most of the bus signs do not have English or route maps.

3. Yup, check your SIM card situation. I had a version of a Galaxy without a SIM slot. Sucked. I've been told that you can't always trust that a phone is real when you buy it from certain vendors. There's a big tech market (indoor bazaar) that I've been told I can trust because they get inspected. I'm just passing on a lot of word of mouth, but I've also been told that China Unicom has the best coverage and rates for phone services. I haven't had a chance to get a friend to help me set up a real account, and I'm just reloading a China Mobile card. I don't use my phone a lot without wifi. WeChat and QQ International are a great way to message in China.

4. I'd love to find out. Let me know if you do! :)

I am new to Jinan and also from Florida. I will keep an eye on this thread so I can learn as well. Hoping to meet up at some point with others.

Hello
I just got to Jinan about three weeks ago and I will be here until the beginning of December.  It is a good experience but it does take some getting used to,

As far as transportation,I honestly have one of my students serve as a tour guide when I need to get around. 

I never signed up for a bank, I just withdraw money from my US bank as I need it. I am so used to using credit cards but except for a handful of hotel and places like Ole (in Parc 66) hardly anyone accepts credit cards here. You can pretty much get what you need here with some exceptions.

When you come, it would be great to hang out!

Doctmsd,

How were you able to obtain a position for such a short period of time?  I am in south Jinan area-SunCity.  I feel my talents would be to better use in a university setting.  My situation required me to obtain recent experience for another position offered to me in Saudi.  But now that I am here, I would like to continue teaching adults as I have done previously. Any suggestions? I do not have my passport till October 8th. Resident permit.  Do you know if it would be impossible to change schools?  I have been here in South Jinan since August 25.  As you mentioned, some getting use to.

Would be nice to find other adult friends.

Thank you for your time and help,
Evelyn

Hi Evelyn
I actually work for an American University who has a relationship with a University here in Jinan.  I was initially offered a position in Nanchang with a different Chinese university and it was for 9 months there were some factors that I could not resolve so I declined and a few weeks later I secured this opportunity. After I got this offer I was also offered another position through Keuka College (they find US based content teachers to fill professor positions here in various parts of China.  I did not accept that offer since I had already taken this one but I referred my colleague and he will be doing a 12 week assignment in near Beijing beginning next week.

Try Keuka College. Also try www.higheredjobs.com (the International positions page) and try the Academy of International Business' website. 

I am not sure about changing schools and how that works with your Visa.  Try the embassy, they may be able to answer that.

If you have free time and want to meet up, let me know.

Tiffanie

Hi Everyone!

I've just arrived in Jinan last week with my 11 yr-old son. We're from Florida too :)

Where in Florida? I am from Tallahassee. Just spent a month back home and on my way to China again. At the moment I am in Doha, Qatar, with my next stop in Guangzhou, then in Jinan tomorrow.

Hey - just moved to Jinan myself...did you find any other foreigners yet?
Chaz

I hang out with a lot of the foreign teachers in my building. I also go to Beijing a lot. I went home to the U.S. December and just got back last week. A lot of us go to Ladies night at the Hyatt on Thursday nights. The first three drinks are free and they have some nice lounge singers from the Phillipines singing anything from Air Suooly to Adele to Diana Ross.

Hi... Welcome to Jinan. What area are you located? I am in the Lixia district. I met one expat who lives pretty far away. My number is [moderated: for security reason, pls avoir your phone num on an open forum].  Lillian

Thanks - I'll drop by some Friday!

Hi - thanks Lillian!  I'll send you a text.
Best,
Chaz

Hi, I have been here in Jinan for about 6weeks, and have not met any Americans and would love to join you at the Hyatt for ladies night, my email address is [email protected]. I live in sunshine 100 district. So feel free to contact me

Tiffaine,

Its so funny cause I did the same as you, I went home and came back right before the school term started.

I would love to meet up or go to the Hyatt---not sure where it is at. I am with the same school but at a different location now. Was south in Sun City, but now, I am not certain of the area I am in.  All I have is the address in Chinese so that doesn't help me right now.

What time do you go to the Hyatt on Thursdays for ladies night?

Looking forward to your reply......Evelyn