Work for non-EEA national, married to EEA National

Hello guys,

Some of you surely remember I recently moved to Malta with my Ukrainian wife.
She has been offered a job in Sliema, but as far as I know she needs a work permit, since her nationality is still Ukrainian... The man who held the job interview told her to go to the Police and ask for a "Police contract" ?? Oo

I am keen on thinking there has been some misunderstanding, but she is positive about what the guy said.

Any ideas or advice??
Thank you!

Marcello

its a police conduct , information   a lot of jobs require it
its a bit like the criminal records check they have in the UK
this link will help you with what you need to do

http://www.howtomalta.com/2012/02/how-t … icate.html

I see that our illustrious seer has forgotten to consider the situation of the person asking the question. That person Martok78, is Italian and his partner is Ukrainian so I doubt they will have any knowledge of what was the Criminal Records check in the UK which are actually now known as Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks.

For Martok78, here on Malta what your partmner has been told I imagine is indeed that she requires a Police Conduct Certificate for that particular position. Her new employer will be responsible for applying for the Work Permit/Licence to permit them to employ her. Such permits/licences are only granted to the employer wishing to engage foreigners for a determined period and for a specific purpose, ONLY after it has been ascertained that every effort has been made to engage a suitable Maltese citizen.

Red the information i have provided is what they need to do , they need to go to the police and ask for the police conduct certificate , they may not know what crb means but i explained its a criminal records check .it was to give an exmaple as to what its like .
you are just being rude now , you may think you god of the forums but you havent actually provided any information other then going off topic .. its clear everytime i post your going to come and do your best to rubbish me .. well if you wish to waste your time doing that then fair dos.

If you could let me know how there is a way to add you to an ignore list so i dont have to see your condescending  post i would be most greatful !!

many thanks

Tut tut. Now who's being rude?
And every time? I don't think so.
To the best of my knowledge I have only challenged/clarified your advice, based upon your vast experience, twice.
I have also tried to help you privately.
God of the forums? Your words not mine and which ones do you refer to?
So, stop flouncing.

Hello everybody,

Could we please calm down here and try to focus on the query of the member Marcello instead ??

Let's try to make this thread more constructive and avoid being rude to each other .

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

As you are Italian, your wife, even though non EU, has the right to work in Malta the same as you do. There is no need to see if a Maltese citizen or other EU citizen wants the job. The employee can ask for a police conduct certificate as long as they would also ask a Maltese applicant for the same.

georgeingozo wrote:

As you are Italian, your wife, even though non EU, has the right to work in Malta the same as you do... .

This is good to know! I was under the impression that she would need a work permit or something of the sort in order to be allowed to work.

Thank you all for your replies, so my wife needs to go to a police station and request for a conduct certificate. I hope the procedure is quick, as she has been asked to start asap.

Thanks, see you around hopefully!
Marcello

afaik you have to go to the one in floriana as detailed in the link i gave you
this is where my partner has been told he has to go by his employer

is it correct that a work permit is required for a EEA national husband/wife of a EU citizen that already got residence permit in Malta ?

extranando wrote:

is it correct that a work permit is required for a EEA national husband/wife of a EU citizen that already got residence permit in Malta ?

If you are not a citizen of an EU country, you need an employment licence in order to be able to work in Malta. EU nationals [except citizens of Croatia], EEA and Swiss nationals do not require an employment licence to work in Malta

Extranado, short answer: no.

robpw2 wrote:

Just to confirm, that was correct. She will have to apply in floriana.

Thanks!

Marcello

Martok78 wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

Just to confirm, that was correct. She will have to apply in floriana.

Thanks!

Marcello

Yes, it's very quick. There is a special office. It costs about 1-2 euro. They will simply ask your name and fathers surname? Then they will print it out. There might be no queue, then you'll be out in seconds!

Just to close the thread with an update that might turn out to be useful for future non EEA members:
For me went exactly as you guys explained, 2,5 and 2 minutes.
For my wife, pretty much the same, except they needed any documentation that could prove she has not been in Malta for longer than 3 months. Since we arrived by car, we had to show the ferry ticket (thank God we still had it for some reason).

Also, can anyone advise as to where to start looking for work for myself? I am currently in the HSBC Contact centre recruitment process but would like to have at least one other option...

Just to clarify. This process and requirement is not just for non EEA people but for any who are to be or are employed in a position that requires a Police Conduct Certificate.

Out of interest, why did she have to prove she had not been here for 3 months?

redmik wrote:

Out of interest, why did she have to prove she had not been here for 3 months?

I didn't really bother asking why... I called in before going there and the person who answered the phone, consulted with a colleague and told me that non-EEA need to prove they have been in Malta no longer than 3 months.

The first thing they asked me was her Visa. When I explained that she is my wife, with legal residency in Italy for over 4 years, the guy spoke with a colleague again and told me to bring a plane or ferry ticket to prove the date of travel to Malta.
I personally suspect this is a mistake on their part... as spouse to a EU citizen, she should enjoy any EU right and be treated accordingly.

Hi Martok,

the question has to do with the residency issue! You have 3 months to register yourself resident and apply for your wife as a non-EU citizen. Until then she is legally in Malta but after 3 months and without  residency she would be illegal.

There is no thing as EU residency so the process starts again here in Malta. The spouse of an EU citizen depends on your own correct residency registration.

Don't wait to long to apply !

Cheers
Ricky

My wife has started the work mentioned up here... but maybe I am just not used to the Maltese ways, however I feel they are treating her in a strange way.
They told her she would work with 2 months "probation"... fair enough. But they are not giving her any contract, not even a letter stating she is being hired pending the successful probation time.
So, for two months she will work with nothing written down anywhere?? I hope they will pay her!
Also, to apply for residency, she would need the work contract. I will apply for her as my family member, but I think she should have a contract nonetheless...

As for myself, I have a letter of employment from HSBC, I have been told to simply bring that one, my passport and my letting contract (and copies) to the citizenship/residency office in Valletta and that's it.

Also I will have to register for healthcare and for taxes.

Martok, sometime employers don;t give the contract (con't ask me why, but that's it), she can anyhow check if the contract have been registered : the employer has to pay her national insurance contribution before than the 15th of the second following month of her period of contribution (payslip in january -> employer should pay her NI before 15th of march).
You just need to call the ETC with her SSN and ask if the contributions have been paid. If not, the employer is cheating her. Keep eyes open, sometime this issue happens, not very often fortunately, but happens...

Police Conduct most likely.

Hi Marcello,

My name is Olga and I am also Ukrainian. recently moved to Malta for work.

For me the process of getting a work permit took 8 months. And one of the stages was obtaining the police clearance (this might be what the employer meant). Below if the steps what was taken for em to get the work permit
1. employer applies for work permit
2. I provided with certified copies of diplomas, recommendation letters for past employers and police clearance certificate.
3. Than Maltese authorities confirmed my diplomas and police certificate with authorities in Ukraine
4. Issued work permit which is a subject for a yearly renewal by employer.

Hope it was useful