How Safe is to Work in Lagos?

Hi, I am Sanjay from Hyderabad, India. Recently I got offer from Nigerian Company. Through internet I found the company is good. I want to know how safe is to work in Lagos? How abt the night life / Social life in Lagos? Are there any indian colonies in Lagos where we can meet indians on weekends? Kindly give your inputs in taking my decision.

Sanjay

Hello Sanjay,

Lagos is considered one of the safest cities in Nigeria. Nightlife and social life in Lagos is very exciting, just as you will see in other big cities like New York. There are lots of Indians in Nigeria, they are working and living in Lagos, especially in Victoria Island, you will find lots of them there. You can get to meet them on weekends and mingle with them.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me. Have a great day.

Hi Sanjay,

Lagos is pretty safe and is just like any other metro city in India or any other big city across developing countries. I have been working with Airtel here for last 3 years with my family and we are continuing to have good time here.
On cost of living; it's pretty expensive than India especially the house rentals so it is always wise to negotiate house, car and school education with your employer. If possible ask your employer to permit you to come in here for a look and see visit. All Indian groceries are available here so you don't need to fillin your luggage with that. Plenty of spots for night life, multi cuisine restaurants and malls to keep you busy. Just like any other megapolis, there are some places which you need to avoid.

Come with an open mind and you will enjoy the place.

Cheers

Ajay

Yes the best place to think about is Ilupeju, their is a particular part of ilupeju where Indian reside. Their Indian school, supermarket and lots. you can get teachers to teach your children both on British and America curriculum.

Hi Sanjay,                                                                                                                                               Here's welcoming you in advance to the beautiful city of Lagos, where with time, you just get infused with all the happenings around you. As with other major cities around the world, there are certain times and places thatg you should avoid. Im pretty sure ull find out that the cost of living might be on the high side ass compared to where you're coming from. Social life in Lagos is one of the most bubbling in the world, mostly on the Island where you get to meet with people from different nationale.                                                                                                                                               If you arent so convinced, its best you take a few weeks break, pop-in and see how it looks like, before makiing the big decision of residing here or taking up a job.          :)

Hi,

Thanks One and All for your valued advice.

My work place is in Yaba, Lagos. My company is providing the accommodation + car + Driver.

Only thing I was concern abt the safety working in lagos. Can you please be specific on the places and times to be avoided to keep safe.

Also I would like to know more abt the night life in Yaba. Please reply. And by the way i had received the Offer from  Hitech Industries Ltd,  Yaba, Lagos, Nigeria. Can anyone give information abt this company. Pls

Thanks in advance

Sanjay.

Hi All,

Hope you are doing good. I am still in India as the documentation works got delayed. Hope to be done by June 1st Week.  Recently I had found about some bomb explosions and kidnappings happening in  capital city etc.,. so what abt lagos, Is Lagos really safe?  Are there any such things happening in Lagos also? Does these things have any impact on the normal life in Lagos?

Please shed some light on this.

Thanks in Advance

Sanjay

Sanjay
There are kidnappings, scams and robbing all the time.  You will be fine, just keep your driver by your side and do not give your driver personal information until you are sure you can trust him. Remember, your driver knows a lot about you and others will pay for this information. Manage yourself and what you say. Keep all at arm's length, other than your countrymen and some expats. Take care with expats, as all is not what it seems.
Regards

@lespat and @poster... Don't give your driver personal info EVEN when you are certain he can be trusted.

Like humans the world over, Nigeria has a wonderful blend of the good, the bad and the deranged.

I don't agree with keeping all at arms length. Us locals are really not bad. Get to know some locals: 2 or 3.

@lespat - thanks for your information. Since the Driver is organised by the company, I was in the impression that it is safe even if I don't reveal my personal information. However it seems that I should be careful at all the times and should be aware of the people around me. And, as the accommodation is provided by the company, I would have to stay there. So keeping everything at arms length is not possible.

@chidinma416 - Yes, I agree with you, it happens all over the world. My only concern is,  the chances of happening in Nigeria is high, as per the reports and news. Would know exactly about the place only after I visit there. And yes I would absolutely want to meet the locals there, want to know abt their culture, religions and interesting thing about the country, but no idea how to choose correct person. Anyway thanks for the info.

Thanks
Sanjay

Sanjay,

Please let us know when you resume work.

You will meet 1 or 2 nice people in your office. If you don't you've still got us- I will provide eCompany.

:-)

Generally, people in Nigeria, expats and locals are friendly and helpful.
Get to know as many as possible
Never show a sign of weakness
- if a guy comes up to you in the street wanting a hug hold your hand in his face and tell him 'NO' : he is trying to go through your pockets
- if a girl asks you for a drink say 'No': a drink means you are interested and she will become insistent and bullying with a nasty streak
- If a girl says she lives in Apapa and needs transport money to get home, she is lying
- if someone says you promised them something, they are lying
- don't take your driver into the supermarket shopping with you
- don't offer anyone a job
- don't let anyone in your apartment
- don't believe hard luck stories
- if someone joins you at a table make sure your phone and wallet are not sitting on the table as they talk to you
- if you are in a group take care you do not pay the bill twice, the waitress will try and get 2 to pay the bill once the group breaks up

@lespat. Quick question... Why do you say not to take your driver into supermarket with you? Just curious!

Thanks for the question, when I first arrived my driver used to offer to carry the shopping basket
Then started asking for food for his family and made me feel bad about buying food for myself, got silly in the end

Lesson I learned: employ an AGENCY for driver and PA first,  keep them if good, move on and find a better one if a pain in aris, don't keep people too long if in 1st weeks they are a pain. Found a brilliant one in the end and rewarded him well

a driver I got for a colleague was a race car driver (crashed and could not follow directions), would not do anything but drive, union mentality is strong

then we got a cleaner who would only do cleaning
I had an assistant who would not open the door
.. that was a receptionist job
cleaner would not do it either etc etc

all got better eventually but wears you down initially

Thanks for clarifying Les, that makes sense. I'm in the final stages of deciding whether to accept an expat posting, bringing my wife and kid over.

We're being sent over by the company soon for a familiarisation before signing on the dotted line. I've been once before, for a week earlier this year. So I'm just trying to gather as much unbiased info as possible!

Any advice is appreciated!

Cheers...

Hi sanjay I'm totally agree with let pats what ever he said.
Generally, people in Nigeria, expats and locals are friendly and helpful.
Get to know as many as possible
Never show a sign of weakness
- if a guy comes up to you in the street wanting a hug hold your hand in his face and tell him 'NO' : he is trying to go through your pockets
- if a girl asks you for a drink say 'No': a drink means you are interested and she will become insistent and bullying with a nasty streak
- If a girl says she lives in Apapa and needs transport money to get home, she is lying
- if someone says you promised them something, they are lying
- don't take your driver into the supermarket shopping with you
- don't offer anyone a job
- don't let anyone in your apartment
- don't believe hard luck stories
- if someone joins you at a table make sure your phone and wallet are not sitting on the table as they talk to you
- if you are in a group take care you do not pay the bill twice, the waitress will try and get 2 to pay the bill once the group breaks up

But Still some good people are here just tHat take ur time to understand them. Don't make friends so early is not mean don't make at all but take ur time.
For nights try to avoid going outside and yaba is good place lots of indian stay there. I stay festac close to yaba I can give you company if u want.

Good luck, I did not take the family but if your company is sound you will be okay, prices are sky high for quality

I used to live in Mapperley Park, loved it in my early 20s

What else:
Lekki is good for families and close to the school
New bridge links Lekki to Ikoyi and on to the airport which makes Lekki good
Take care with the females, the more married you are the keener and more docile they appear, it is not real and mind them beer goggles

I will be out again soon and I have contacts there and in the UK

I live here close to an executive who used to visit Nigeria, of all the places he has been, this is his worst destination, he likes his luxuries

music is brilliant there as is dancing, maybe start with P Square Chop My Money on you tube

But as Sanjay says, fall in with the right crowd (ex squddies etc) and you have a good time with families and island hopping

I am currently enjoying my family and surfing every day, it is much better with your family, if sole posting it is very tempting to get out and about as there is very little to do

Join:
Sailing club
Speedboat club
Polo Club
Tennis Club

Cheers Les,

I used to live in Mapperley Park too as a student. Magdala Rd. Small world eh?!

Sorry, only just seen your reply. Yes, the company is good and provides pretty much everything including secure accommodation, transport, schooling, etc.

Anyway, just got back from our trip. All positive so far! Would def be interested in seeing some surfing pics if you have any??

Dan

Hi

Good luck with the move and go for it,

25 Tavistock Drive was the place, legendary almost, many a night at Rock City, Cookie Club and The Bell

I am in Sydney, surfing most days but too busy working this week, you don't want to see pics

Cheers

Posted a surfing pic on the Surfing thread of Tarkwa Bay in Lagos

...the beach is dirtier

Hi,
How is current situation there? I had been informed that an emergency is declared in Lagos. My visa is due next week and I would be flying to Lagos on 20th August. 

Please suggest me to plan my travel.

Thanks
Sanjay

Emergency for what? There are so many Indians, thousands of them here in Lagos, welcome, nothing wrong with Lagos. The company that offered you job should be in a better position to help you, ask them about anything you need to know they will guide properly.

Hi Abey Eg,

Yes I was not clear in my question, actually it is regarding the Ebola virus Outbreak in lagos. News channels are reporting that emergency is declared to stop spreading of ebola virus.

So how is the current situation there now. Is it safe to visit lagos now.

Kindly shed some light on this.

Lagos is still very safe to Visit, what matters is that once you are here just observe the necessary preventive measures toward Ebola. The few people that tested positive were the primary contacts of the Liberian man (Mr Sawyer) that died in Lagos. The government only declared the emergency to assure citizens that there are on top of the situation. Welcome, be hygiene conscious and avoid to much contact with people. Nigeria is SAFE.

Hi Guys,
Hope everyone is doing good. It was mentioned in the news that there were four new fresh cases of ebola positive  people was registered on 18th aug. Is the virus really spreading there? How is the situation now?

Ebola is not spreading here oo safe and secure to work in Lagos

Lagos is good and safe

Hello there vinayjain32,

It may be impossible to get numbers of people here. But if you decide to work in Lagos, here a few things you should know:

- like I mentioned in an earlier response, in Nigeria like everywhere else, you'll find good and bad people. Stay careful until you find genuine friends.
Luckily, it's easy to find Indians here.
- the Ebola situation is worrisome but I honestly think that the govt is trying to contain the spread. That not withstanding, you have to take charge of your self and practice excellent hygiene.
-lastly, it's safe to work in Nigeria. It may not be a first world country but it's got a lot of soothing amenities to ease one's stress :)
Good luck and keep us posted !

Hi,

I'll be in Lagos in October and I'm looking for a driver.
I heard taxi could be not really safe, is that true? how much do they charge for daily trip ?
thanks in advance for your feedback

Hello there,

How long are you staying?

Where will you be staying?

Is it a work related visit?

If I have an idea of your answers, I will get a tailor made response.

Generally, taxis are safe in Lagos. If you are especially worried for your safety, you can use taxi services like metro taxi, easy taxi. You can Google both taxi firms for further info.

They have good cars and professional drivers. Downside is their price.

I have an offer from a company in Nigeria. The offer includes accommodation, car, security car, driver. I am beginning to think it might be wise for me to inquire about the company allowing me a visit and tour prior to signing on the dotted line. I am not so concerned about Nigeria as much as I am that the company is making me a legitimate offer and see first and what they are providing. Would the group recommend this approach?

Hi !!!! Santosh here from Hyderabad, India
I got job opportunity Lagos, Nigeria., i have few queries.,
1. Is it safe to live in Apapa., (as my work place is Lagos)
2. Is there still Ebola scare ?
3. I'm getting company provided flat/car and driver., whats the minimum expenses per month (grocery and food).,
4. Is it not safe to move around or visit mall on weekends?
5. Are people co-operative in Lagos and Apapa ?
6. I'm veggie is there a problem to get veg food / cook ?

My parents and family much worried, should i accept this offer., please suggest.

Regards.,

Santosh

Hi Vinay !!!!

Now r u in Lagos ? How did u find the place?

Reply, i have few more queries.

Regards.,
Santosh

Hello bkain, if this will make you feel better/more secured, then please ask for a tour before penning your signature on any document.

A lot of companies employ multinationals here and I doubt that your a suggestion will be the first of its kind.

Ask me/ the forum if you still need help.

@Santosh...hello there.

Yes, Apapa is relatively safe: the dockyard is located here. So it depends on where your office is located.

The major problem in Apapa will be the traffic.

It is safe to visit malls, cinemas and markets even in Lagos, as the people are cooperative and will not bother you.

The govt is trying to quell the fear of Ebola by spreading the knowledge of the disease. As of today, no new Ebola case has been reported.

As a vegetarian, you won't have a problem cooking or getting food- there is a decent number of vegetarians here.

Unfortunately I'm unable to confirm or provide you with an idea of what it will cost to get your preferred grocery type.

I hope I've been of help.

Chidinma416 : Thank you so much., my office is in liverpool street, Lagos.,  :)

Liverpool is a part of the dockyard: loads of tankers/ trucks ply that route causing heavy traffic. Fortunately, the Lagos government has recently decided to stop tankers from using that route in a bit to decongest the area.

Since you will be getting a car and a driver hopefully, that takes away a huge worry for you.

:)

ok thank you., need small clarification :

is it ok to sustain $500 a month, with flat/car/driver and food., ?

yes, if you are not big on going out and drinking.

It will be enough.

Thank you again

Santosh when will you go to lagos