How to make friends with Norwegians?

I will be moving to Norway in a month and I was wondering if you guys could give me any advice on making friends with Norwegians, which I heard can be hard for a foreigner. I would like to improve my Norwegian language skills and also learn more about Norwegian culture by interacting with the locals. Any tips?

Hei,

I agree that it isn't to meet or make friends here in Norway. It took me 2 years to really establish myself and have a solid group of friends. But you just have to keep your chin up!

Tips: Join a club. That's the easiest way. Norwegians function like a high school. They have their own groups and such established. And there is this weird mentality that they don't need more friends than they already have. So if you join a club, it's easier to start to get to know people since you have that common interest.

Good luck!

Hello,

I certainly agree with MalKiwi's advice. Joining a club seems to be one of the best ways to make friends with the natives. Norwegians generally seem reluctant to engage with people they encounter in everyday life. It also seems to be less common to become friends with people you meet at work. I think having non-Norwegian friends is also important though. Other immigrants will understand what you are going through, and will generally be more willing to make new friends, because they are in the same position as you.

Good luck.

Hi Malkiwi,

Can you recommend any sports clubs to try? I have been looking for somewhere to join for a while... I was a keen netballer at home but they don't do that here and it would be nice to try something new!

I am the youngest person in my office at work and the only female in my team so it has been difficult to meet people so far! :(

Anna

hi did You menage to move to Norway? :)

Yes, thats righ tits hard to mix with Norwegians.

But Norways is a very good place to live and immigrate.

You can find many foreign friends as well.

Best of luck