Travelling to Hong Kong

Hello everybody, I'm new member!
I really hope someone can share me some travelling experience in Hong Kong.
Thank you very much!

Rabby

Hi Rabby,

HK is a zoo and can be daunting to travel in. Generally wear comfortable clothes and shoes. Be certain of where you're going and how to get the places you wish to go to. HK is expensive in comparison to China for basic items... though the exchange rate from RMB to HKD on some items may be worth the trouble.

Hi rabby. Nice to meet you. Welcome to Expat.com.
There are whole bunch of good places you can try to reach for fun.
For example:
Playing and Having fun (Hong Kong Theme Park)
(1) Hong Kong Disneyland
(2) Ocean Park
(3) Ma Wan Park
Pictures taking (The places you must visit)
(1) Peak Tram
(2) Sogo (The largest Japanese Department Store)
(3) Times Square
(4) OnPing 360 (Cable Car)
(5) Big Buddha

Since the last time I traveled this city with my couple of Canadian friends, it's been over 20 years from now. Hong Kong Disneyland has not yet built, and Ocean Park wasn't that crowded. In this place you can see many old buildings that you couldn't find from other countries. Many traditional chinese tea, the celebration of chinese/western festivals. During the halloween, you see pumpkins, decorated haunted houses, spooky witches everywhere, and children playing lanterns at Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival, christmas lights surrounded all over the buildings to light up the night sky, and people wearing traditional chinese clothes during the Chinese New Year. People are nice and good.
It has been changing a lot as I come visit Hong Kong again 3 months ago. Many new commerical buildings are located everywhere in central that I couldn't find from my last visit. Many China and foreign country visitors come here for business. So, try visit this city, experience and smell the fresh air, and you'll acheive a lot from Hong Kong. The salary here is much higher than my home town, Ottawa, and tax free.

Hope it helps,
Sam.

Hi Rabby,

How are you doing? Understand that you would like to have some traveling advice in HK right? Are you moving there for good or just a vacation in HK for the 1st time?

Assuming that you are going there for the 1st time for holidays. You should have done all your homework on the places that you want to visit. The best is have the info ready in Chinese, if you need to ask someone.. It would be easy. When you are in HK, buy an "Octopus" card  (八達通卡). This is a traveling card that you tap when you get up the bus, MTR, buy things in 7-11, etc.. Feel free to top up HK$300 - 500, unused portion can be refunded. If you do come again to HK, keep it for your next trip.

Your hotel location, make sure roughly where is the location & get the hotel phone number ready to call them, if you have trouble locating it.. Especially if you are staying in an INN or lodging place. All these are located in a commercial buildings with many operators of the INNs. If you are ladies, even for guys.. Avoid staying in TST Chung King building/mansion. This is very crowded with peoples mainly from Africa & India. The lift/ Elevator is going to be a nightmare. Believe me! Check out the place when you are there.. See for yourself. It would be a lifetime experience. Bring along your own clothes hanger, slippers, tower, soaps & shampoo, if you stay in the INNs. Read the review before booking as some places are horrible..

When you come to food, in the day to day eatery.. Read the menu outside the restaurant & decide what to eat before you go in.. As it will be very crowded & you have to share your table with stranger. You will be under pressure to order your food fast, as HK is.. Everything fast!!

Should you wanted to know more, you can email me direct: ([email protected]) as I travel to HK almost every 2 months once for quite a few years..

So, when is your trip to HK? It is a safe city but got to beware of pickpockets..

Cheers..
David

Hi Rabby,
Pop by my blog if you get time, there are lots of tips, info and stories about travelling in Hong Kong on it.

mintmochamusings.com

Cheers

Nicole

Hi!

I am travelling to Hong Kong at the end of this month with limited budget. I am always obsessed Hong Kong as a place for shopping and partying so I list going to bar/club and going shopping is a must. Do you guys have any suggestion for this ( My budget for shopping and party is 300 USD for 6 days, including transportation).

If you are in HK Just drop me a message. I have time to show you around

That's quite a thin budget for a country like HK. Where will you be staying? I can accommodate you in my place so you have a bigger budget?

Thank you so much!! I will go with 2 of my friends. One is a girl and one is a same age guy. We would love to meet you sometimes in Hongkong. We still not sure where to stay as the budget is quite tight..thinking abt whether you could give us a couchsurfing? Anyway, still want to say thank you as we all love to make as many friends on the way as possible. The more the better!

Hi Rabby. Hong Kong is great! It is home to some of the most popular nightclubs in Asia. Additionally, food is also awesome. You'll find yourself munching into Chinese cuisine and western foods like beef burgers. Have you tried Double D Burger in LKF? Before going there, you might want to check their menu on their website http://www.doubledburger.com/.