New members of the Costa Rica forum, introduce yourself here

Hello.Im David and I live in the san ramon/Berlin area on top of a mountain.with views that are wonderful,day and night.The temps here are cooler than the lower lying and beach areas but never have I seen it get below 65 degrees or above 88.I have had this home for 1 year and have considered selling and moving to another country that isn't as expensive as costa rica is.There are many personal adjustments to made living here as with anywhere your not familiar with . I have lived in China,Thailand and the Philippines and am considering moving back to Thailand.Many scam artists here and even the gringos are not to be trusted.Houses and labor are cheap ,if you can find a good contractor GOOD LUCK  are hard to find are cheap but food,gas,electricity are very high. The language is another factor that must be addressed ASAP But all in all the living is a slower pace and the country is a beautiful one Good luck in your search.Hope this helps.David

Hi everyone I'm also new & don't quite know how to start.

Hey Arkansas. What do you need to know to start and what are yall trying to do? I lived in little rock for 2 years and yall can have it.LOL Just kidding. I live here in Costa Rica. Are you interested in moving here? David

David, thanks for your input.  I'm sorry to hear that food and electricity are high.  I guess the major appeal of Costa Rica, for me, is the climate.  I have lived abroad in Germany, France, and Mexico and know from my own experience that there are trade-offs. 

I am truly disappointed to hear about the crime...personal experience with it in Mexico and it certainly made me think twice about a permanent more there, as it tends to color your perspective.  But Chicago is increasingly ruled by political criminals and gang-bangers and combined with the hideous weather and high cost of living, I'm ready to go.

costa rica is a heck of a lot better than Chicago.The crimes here where I live are minor petty thefts but there are those occasions for them to rob your house when left alone for a couple days.No one I know leaves their house unattended.I have a live in maid that lives in my home Mon.to Fri. and she will have her parents come stay with her when I travel.Just like anywhere, there are good and bad things to consider.I live on top of a mountain and the climate is a little cooler than the beaches or lower lying areas.cool is 65  and warm is 88 the highest I have seen since living here.I put a pool in w/solor heating and it gets up to 87..Here you have the right to protect yourself and your property unlike the US as you can be the victim twice.Try looking up Gringo central.Dont by any means hire someone with out a recommendation.hope this helps a little.David

thanks, David.  I guess minor petty theft is better than being thrown to the ground and robbed.  Although the thief didn't use a weapon, I was plenty scared...mainly because I feared breaking a bone!!!  I had learned from previous winters in San Miguel de Allende, how poor medical care there was.

Hi David. Arkansas is a beautiful place but more Northwest. My husband and I live in the fast growing Conway area. You may be familiar with where that's located. For some reason I am drawn to the Caribbean side of Costa Rica even though I've never been there. We have been to Jaco, my husband more than I, and I'm just not interested in the Pacific Ocean. I like Turquoise waters. Do you have any info you can share? I know it takes a while to get there from the main airport.

Please do your research before you move any where here.The Caribbean side has a lot of crime and not to be or seem prejudice but its mainly blacks that live there. Very hot and humid Good place to visit but not for me. More expats live on the pacific side as I live in San Ramon/Berlin.The climate is cooler and the ticos are friendly.Low crime,mostly petty thefts.I do know where Conway is.My Dad lived in Mena and I have 88 acres there along the river.Anyway.its not cheap to live here.Electric bills are very high and going higher,Food ouch! Gas for cars ouch,electronics,anything imported is high costs. autos ouch .I brought a 40 ft. container and recommend you bring your stuff with you.Get rid of your winter clothes,I recommend that you rent a condo for 6 months to a year before you plant your self.there are some nice places  to live here so do your HOMEWORK.Other than that I like it here as I go back and forth to Thailand where I have a home there also.Well I hope this letter helps you.Oh yeh.Dont join ARCR.they are a ripoff.I know many expats that feel the same.Save your money. take care David

David, is ARCR the acronym for Association of Residents of Costa Rica?  Just curious.

yes.they offer all kinds of help that you can find without the charges.I lost over $3.600  with them.My bad but a small price to pay when it could have been more.Hire an attorney that someone recommends that you think you can trust.Ask ask ask and do your home work on that lawyer.Lawyers here  can be crooks also.To sue someone here is almost unheard of and if you try you will be waiting on the court system for 6 months to a year before your case is heard.Just be careful and watch your own back.Hold your money close to you it can go fast if your not careful.I have lived in several countries and this one has some very odd ways.Banking here is a real bummer.bring a letter from your banking institution of reference of good standing.The banks here want to know where you got your money.I can only put 2 k in at a time and I never have more than 9k at a time due to reporting to the US treasury paper work.I will try and answer any ?s you have.I wish I had the help I can give expats before I moved here.Thailand and other countries are different.David

David,
I have done lots of research on living overseas just not for the caribbean side of Costa Rica. Is there any place other than the caribbean side with calmer waters that have a beautiful hues of my favorite color?

ARCR have provided much needed expertise to many expats in Costa Rica.
Like any business, anywhere, not everything goes as perfectly as we would hope for. Spending the amount that was lost above, looks like davidray had a problem with his residency application. We, too, lost both funds and time trying to obtain residency using an independent lawyer and believe me, there are many bad lawyers out there, so perform your due diligence when choosing one. Get the feedback from multiple persons and most importantly, do not solely rely on any website,  especially one that 'states you will receive legal resident status including a cedula, in a specific time period, such as 'within 6 months'.

blutr00, suggest you look at Playas Carrillo & Samara. although I don't expect the color is what you would hope for...but to base your choice of living location on the color of the water, may not be the best decision...

Well to me all oceans are blue.Slow down and prepare your self.I think and I say I think it is about 60% of gringos move back home or out somewhere else due to many factors that  they are not prepared for. so please don't decide on ocean color to move to a particular area here..theres more to this country and I think you need to live here awhile to see what fits.

ifriedberg4550 wrote:

Greetings to expats already in Costa Rica or planning on  relocating. I am considering a retirement to Costa Rica. I have spent a little time in Guatemala, but feel that Costa Rica would be a better choice. I will be receiving social security in a couple of months-yes, I will be 62! I'm seeking to share expenses with another expat in order to live on SS. I'm single-divorced, with 2 grown sons in Florida and 3 adorable grandchildren. Fortunately, one of my sons works for Jet Blue, so I receive parental flight benefits, which makes Costa Rica an even more attractive option. I practiced pharmacy in Florida in Florida for 23 years, but I am no longer licensed. i wouldn't mind working with those who are in dire need of healthcare in Costa Rica. I also write, self-published on Amazon. I wish to continue my writing in retirement. I'm open to suggestions, especially financial considerations. Glad to join the group!

Ira

Self publishing - selling Kindle books - is a great way to make extra income while living in Costa Rica. I have a keen interest in doing just that. I have studied writing but never sold or published anything except a magazine article here and there.

There are courses you can buy online (look up "Kindle courses", "Kindle resources", "Kindle classes" etc. There are many classes that don't just show you how to submit stuff for Kindle but actually help you figure out what and how to write stuff that will sell. (Or so they say.) I have one book I want to write for sure (a "how to" type of book) and want to write several.

They say they don't have to be full "book" size, that if you can write 40-50 pages you can still make decent part time cash with that type of "book". Just thought I'd share that idea with you. I also do online marketing which is another way you can make money while living on soc. sec. in Costa Rica. Maybe  you can publish under a relative's name or ?

Hi Ira.How much research have you done on Costa Rica? Have spent any time here? Before I moved here I thought I had it all figured out but was surprised by how much I had to learn.I have entertained the idea of having a room mate as I do have a full time maid/assistant that has been with me for over a year.Im a recent widower. my wife passed  June 15 this year. She feel in love with this area and our home as it has a wonderful view and an infinity  pool that I put in for her to exercise but was never able to use it. I turned 62 July and need to go to the embassy next week to get my ssi going.Im an easy going guy and like to go fishing and travel.Acually I have had many people tell me I should write a book on my life.Anyway write me at my e/mail address if you like and maybe we can exchange pics. and tell me more about yourself. Take Care David

san jose cost rica is also very expensive. stay there for a couple of weeks and see for yourself. oh sorry, learn the language. without it you wont make it. visit first..

My wife has been wanting us to move out of the U.S. for some time now. I wasn't really on board until recently. After my second layoff in the last 10 months, I am now ready to ditch the rat race.
For the last 29 years I have made my living as a graphic designer. I would like to continue a career as a creative professional, but would consider doing other things as well. My wife gets a small disability payment and I don't think we could make that cover everything.
We have heard that Costa Rica is not only beautiful, but has the most ingratiating people in the world. Hope that is true!

Dan

Dan , I just got back from costa rica and yes the people are Great.. but , please go visit first.. it may not be for you.  and not in Hotels and nice places. I rented an apartment for a month and really learned about life in costa rica.  I will tell you one thing only.. its way TO EXPENSIVE....check out first..

Rabundan, you should read the financial and legal requirements of living here and be aware that you cannot work here until you have permanent residency, have a work visa ... although you can work online... for approx 5 years. Living here is not cheap...
Some disability payments may be discontinued if you move out of the country.
As mentioned in the previous post, visit first for at least a month or two

My husband has passed we wanted to retire there , I want to bring his ashes there please help me get in touch with other x pats  [email protected]

Sorry for your loss.
According to website information, human remains intended for interment or subsequent cremation into Costa Rica, must be accompanied by a death certificate stating the cause of death. If the death certificate is English, then it is required to be accompanied by an legal Spanish language translation. You are required to have the passport of the deceased. The remains MUST be transported in a temporary container that can pass through airport x-ray machines. This should be a container constructed of wood, plastic, cardboard or any non-lead based ceramic.

Thank u for u info all in place . Summmerrs

Hi, I have a second home in CR have been living there and in Daytona for the last 7 years. I tried to board a plane (AA) last fri with my 60 pd catahoula leapard bulldog which I have done many times. When I arrived at the airport they said I could no longer fly my dog due to breed restrictions. I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Many airlines restrict this breed being it is a 'snub or pug nosed' breed, and they consider them likely to experience respiratory problems. I checked Delta and United, and they are restricted by them, too, sorry.
Try another airline.

Thank you for your help..

Ok I have lived in Costa Rica five years.   I am still waiting residency. I came here when it was set at 650 had all  my papers ready sent them to the embassy in Washington DC. Move down thinking all was ok.  Found out three months latter they had lost  my papers . So had to start all over again.  Also the income for residency went from 650 to 1000 US.  With my social security i did not apply mine was just over 650 but i have income from a major industry for live although they can not state that . So I am in a iffy zone if i should get it. My lawyer is GLC i am my self less than happy with them.  From day one i was left in the dark as what was going on with my case and had to badger them to get answers.  He often even got upset and told me to leave them alone they would take care of it.  I have waited four years I have been denied twice by immigration . now we are waiting for  a final decision from  a judge.  If i am denied I must leave the country in two weeks. Hardly enough time to wipe ones nose.   So let this be a warning all may seem good but things go wrong especially here in the south.   I would also highly not recommend the lawyers of GLC.

Sorry to hear that residency has been denied.
With the requirement now being a minimum of $1000 I see there would be a problem. Did you consider purchasing an annuity with your 'allowance' of $350 per month, payable from the funds received from your other 'ex-employer' to make up the difference? You are permitted to use more than 1 pension/annuity payment to reach the desired amount, as long they are in your name.

I have some in my social security and then annuity in a large oil company so no its not in my name.   I am told though as long as I have a letter stating intent of  payment they can not and will state for live though it is.   So that is where I am at.. I have heard other people have had split income but not sure how there,s work..   I also have come across Cuenca, Ecuador and considering it. I love what is overs and as of now the residency income requirement is 800 i hope to take a visit in April. If others out there know of the split income requirements let me know.    And any complaints against the law firm in San Jose GLC thank you

Hi Everyone,
We are a family of 5 from Alberta Canada.  Our kids are 7, 11 and 12.  We have been researching moving to Costa Rica for the past year.  Finally taking the plunge and flying down in January to look around and tour some schools and properties.
Safety is always a concern and we read a lot about petty theft and crime.  We are looking in the areas from Tamarindo up to Hermosa and Playa del Coco.
Any insights, do's and don'ts or anything you want to share would be great!
Sarah

Definitely a good idea to take at least a months visit first, but don't suggest you purchase anything until you have lived here at least a year. Very easy to buy...if you have cash...but very difficult to sell. Most who make the move return within two years.
Private schools will cost you, in your chosen areas,  $2000 a month for your 3 children, but if you can afford it, it is the way to go. So-So mandatory healthcare will set you back $450 a month, if under 55 but good private care is available.
Vehicles are double the cost, and the cost of food is as expensive as Canada, according to those who return often, with the exception of basic vegetables....and some good fruit.
CR can be a great place to be if you can afford it and raising a family is very expensive.
Read the good  post 'Hoping to retire in Costa Rica with my husband' which provides good information

Hi Sarah, I have lived in Costa Rica for five years and like all places it has it ups and downs..By far crime here is less then most places in the US or Canada....  I lived her and only once was had my house broken in to.   Generally when i go shopping I rarely leave the doors locked.   But there is on occasion robberies. But on the most the people here are pretty honest. I have left my wallet a couple times and booths at the local market and always the attendant at the both comes running up to me to return it..  Residency can be a slow process and I would recommend you get a good lawyer... Food here to is not quite the selection we have up north the beef is a not to are standards but there are good cuts to be found..    There is not as much to do here either... But that depends on what you want...   For people who love the outdoors it is a paradise..   The fruits and vegetables are wonderful. There are great schools here..   and a expat community may be the way to introduce the kids to Costa RIca...I live in the southern zone and not familiar with the north. But i am told the beaches are very nice.   Here in the south the are rocky.   There are lots of bugs here not unusual to wake up and find sever little critters on the floor. and also the rains it can rain every day. But generally the mornings to mid afternoon are good.  Hope this helps if you need more info drop a line.

Hi Dave I have lived in Costa RIca for five years .  Always there is the good and bad sides of all things.   Costa RIca is indeed a very pretty country but there are other countries just as pretty or more so.   The people here are friendly and very family orientated.   As every where it is hard to break into there culture..  I have traveled around the world and I my self do find the Costa Ricans on the whole do be that friendly.. Do not get me wrong it is that they are not unfriendly they are at times a little hard to approach.  But there are the exceptions some are quite friendly.  The costs in Costa Rica keep going up it is now the most expensive country to live in , in Central America.    If you are looking for a country that at the time is still inexpensive try Ecuador. I my self am looking at Cuenca a city in the Andes at a elevation of 8,300 ft, It is cool average temperature are 75 at day and drop to 50 at night.   The city is a old colonial city and dates back to 1600.  It has all the amenities of a big city. Light rail, opera house, play house, are galleries and lots more cultural activities. To me that is one big thing Costa Rica lacks ..  hope this is of help

Sarahm5, if serious , you should consider visiting both in the dry season, when it may limit your water supply in the Guanacaste areas you are interested in due to serious drought conditions it is presently in and in the rainy season, where it may rain very hard every day with extreme thunder & lightning and when your power should be turned off.
Check out the many English newspapers on line, for up to date information...plus the Costa Rican Spanish language news websites that you can easily translate, using online translation.
Choices of private schools will be very limited, with few extracurricular activities.
It is very important to check out beaches to see whether they are safe for kids, swimming or surfing as strong riptides are common.

Hey, thanks for the welcome.  Thinking seriously of relocating to CR in a month or two.  Wrapping up some things here to really retire.  On friend introduced me to possibility of medical tourism to get a medical and dental makeover which she says I seriously need.  Then, another associate mentioned the tax benefits of relocating there and making future investments out of there or Panama.  Guess 30 or 40 mil would go further there.  Gears are already turning.  See you somewhere cool and crisp and clean soon I hope.  Jack & the boys

Visit and check out both countries before you make any decisions, as it's not so cheap as you may hope for, plus you need to look at the legalities of living here.

Jack , before you pack up visit Costa RIca a view times. Really check it out. The different areas to live..  The coast of staples in Costa RIca has boomed .   It is the most expensive country in Central America.  Many costs are more expensive then the US..    Gas is high as is owning a car.  Taxes are cheaper but things like electric and appliances are more... Health all in all is good.   Food there is less selection and little variety hard to find good cuts of meat..  Any thing imported can cost double.     Ask your self honestly why you want to come.  Can you put up with the long rains, bugs , humidity. I have lived here 5 years and at times you go through a love hate relationship.    All in all do your home work.  and know who you are dealing with here.

30 or 40 mil. Hell you could be happy  anywhere. remember  money talks and bulls--t walks...

30 or 40K won't last you that long...I lost that much in the first two years :sosad: ... if you expect to live with decent accommodation, eat out, have a car, etc. Will you soon retire with a guaranteed pension to apply for residency as the amount $40 is not enough to apply as a Rentista and you are not permitted to work?
Some of the higher paying investments require you to be a legal residen t.

hey cupofcoffee, jack said he had 30 or 40 MIL. not  thousand. more than enough anywhere.

I've been living with a 'mil' meaning colónes too long  :cool:  although I doubt if anyone with much available dough would relate that to us, expats, on a forum. Many will line up to help him spend it....or a lawyer will take him, under his wing :huh:

Closed