Racism

Justin. Who wrote the Bible is way too much off-topic for this Recism thread. You can start another thread, if you want.

Equating racism and tribalism is ON-topic, though, because "tribal" prejudices (which encompass national and some cultural prejudices) are lumped in with racial prejudice by the laws of many Western countries. Think of placards reading Whites Only, No Mexicans, No Arabs... All those would be prosecuted under anti-racism laws, in some countries.

The word race itself has several connotations. There's the human race, the Caucasian race, the Nordic race, the Jewish race, and so on and on. But there's actually no black race or white race or Christian race. Racism has come to mean prejudice of any kind, for practical purposes.

I believe Racism is alive and well unfortunately .
I also believe it is widespread where there is a low level of education. When I say education I don't mean education in a formal sense.
Any brief knowledge of history will prove that most wars were based on a type of racism

I love that. I pray the all world live a free racism communities.

i m afraid to say, Gulf countries have worst discrimination against poverty.

Interesting....I read a place saying Dubai is really very nice,and been one of the Best places with so many nationalities in the city,this is so true,well maybe because of your nationality .I would say that Dubai is very sexy in this areas,cos its a tourism ground with so many nationalities viewing but not also as it seems.
Here you get to see preferences for people needed for jobs,and some out rightly write it,no blacks,that's refusing any effort they can be good at,and ask for Russians,indians or Filipino,well I dunno if its exactly being termed as a racial stuff but it hurts, I have been lucky though,because I have been daring to even go for such walk in interviews ,and maybe my good english and carriage has helped but the truth is,many face this,I also had the moment to live outside Dubai,I was thot to be a prostitute when I jog at nite or dress up the way I used to in dubai,but all this doesn't scare me,its still a Good place if I would rate it,am used to the stares in the far city of ajman where its mainly where the locals live,surviving here is ok,if you behave like them,only in the terms of jobs do I see greater clause,no race is perfect,just as stated that the visions and thots of people are be clouded cos of whatever other nationalities like us have done,but its always so good to always be positive,cos we might loose the best of people when our minds are fractioned like this.

Being from the USA I've experienced it first hand...Why I have no idea people think negative so much...I keep hoping one day we can all (All Nations) can live in peace and harmony...

SD

Racism  exists in every society just as every society has members who refuse to engage in it.

no i dont feel Racism in my country
india is beautiful and its culture is so diverse..
different color cast religion people's lives here

i am against all racisme

I've just had a chat to a rather pleasant Indian lady from Singapore who suffered racism as a child.
It strikes me, if someone can be nasty to such a nice person, they're nothing short of bloody idiots.

Never faced a racist incident before.. i guess its all about how you talk and deal with other people

Racism I'd only in mind. Feel free and open mind, you will be integrated.

Joe140 wrote:

Never faced a racist incident before.. i guess its all about how you talk and deal with other people

Not in general.
It's very much about how people treat you.

As a white dude in a mostly brown country, I have had racist comment.
Oddly, the majority are positive (in the extreme), sometimes as if I'm some sort of minor god, or a film star (Is there much difference?).
People want to take a selfie with me, or get their mates to hold the camera - it's very hard to get used to.
However, there is a little bit of negative - One idiot assumed I was a non believing dog, just because my skin is white.

I'd love to know how he could tell my religious beliefs and ideals from my skin colour.
A couple of days ago, an Indian lady told me how she'd experienced racism because of her brown skin.
I see it this way - she might well have a brown skin, but the racists are stupid.
Given the choice, I'd far sooner have the brown skin.

Stay in pain will give an idea how others are suffering. In Africa, lots of pain and suffering.

i never suffer from or face any racism in my country

abdelrahman55 wrote:

i never suffer from or face any racism in my country

Maybe because you are from Egypt and living in Cairo ?

Wow.. is that bad about Japan? I never know it till now.. thanks for the tips

"Racism" has so many different meanings, these days. In my observation it's often mis-applied to national prejudice, and religious prejudice. Here in my Caribbean island, it's used (as often as not) to mean ethnic prejudice  - anti-native-Caymanian or anti-foreigner, even when there is no racial difference. Very misleading.

In my country, rasicm always exist especially in workplace. There are 3 races in my country malay, chinese & indian . If one of these group be a boss in a company they would try to make their race to be promote .

Other aspects of the issue....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UMYh_vTr0w

Yeah - I couldn't get past the 2.30 mark, El. My hand began hovering over the STOP button when the speaker accused "the Left" of being to blame. That's an extremely divisive term, and betrays a prejudice that pretty much closes the door on any reasoned discussion.

It depends on one's patience I suppose...
I have from a very young age not believed that there is a god. Yet a YouTuber, SGTreport who I have often listened to brought a contribution entitled “GOD IS REAL”. I listened to his discussion with another person from beginning to end giving him the opportunity to show to me that I was uninformed. Good thing I wasn't tripped up by a single word about 2 min. into the video.

http://www.rt.com/uk/357286-morris-dancing-black-face/

Here's an interesting report about the English custom of having its "Morris dancers" (mummers) put on blackface. The word "Morris" is a corruption of "Moors", the North Africans of centuries ago. This kind of  "blackface" thing is harmless, in my opinion, though many people might disagree. When I was young, "black and white minstrel shows" were common on TV; and in my father's time professional singers used to put on black make-up when singing what were then called Negro songs. I see nothing objectionable in any of that - as long as it's not meant offensively, or even patronisingly. For me, the term "racism" should be reserved for serious discrimination, including violence on people because of their race or colour.

Does anybody else here have an opinion on the Morris dancers, and similar?

Racism is offensive, but many things seen as racist are really nothing of the sort.
The black faces of morris dancers could equally be explained by the theory they disguised themselves in order to earn extra money, but neither possible explanation is intended in a bad way, so I don't see it as racist.
I've heard moans about this tradition being racist, but that just doesn't hold water as we don't even know where the tradition came from.

I find discussions about race to be rather amusing.  An example...we would probably say that Nazi Germany was a racist country and the modern western world is less so, yes?

... And yet, in the 1930s Subhash Chandra Bose was able to go to Germany, marry a German woman, and be commissioned as a General because he was deemed to be Aryan, although not white.  Which is something he could not have done in any of the nation's of the allied powers at the time or for decades later.

In fact, General Bose would find it nearly impossible to reach that rank in the modern American Army.

When we say "Asian" is a race, its meaningless.  It's an umbrella term that covers the Japanese, Chinese, Mongols, Russians, Indians, and dozens of other people groups.  It's a massive continent.

Perhaps we should just treat each other as individual human beings.  You know, that idea about "content of the character" that seems to be increasingly falling out of fashion these days.

Subhash Chandra Bose was not a German military general - that is a myth!
The (extremely racist) German Nazi government only collaborated with Indian freedom fighters (after much hesitation) because they saw a common enemy in the British.
In fact, the Nazis also tried to exterminate the Roma & Sinti, a European group of Indian ancestry (who were already discriminated against before that, in many countries). Something Bose criticised, but rather mildly (some people think).
His wife was not German - she came from Austria.

General Bose was Commander of the the Indische Legion.  He married and had a daughter with his wife Emilie Schenkl.  It is not a myth.  Life, and history, are complicated.

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR