Applied for vehicle exemption and heard nothing? ?

Hi

We moved here 6 weeks ago and on 12 August we submitted all the paperwork to try and get exemption from paying the import tax on the motorbike we bought with us from the U.K..

I'm aware that whoever decides these applications has 30 days to reply but is it odd that we have heard nothing yet?

When i handed the forms in for my husband i was told the bike could not be ridden until a temporary registration document had been issued,  they said this would take a week and nothing has been sent out.

The bike is insured locally but is sitting in the road while i have to drive my husband everywhere in the car and it seems so unfair!

I'm not even sure who i should be chasing to hurry the exemption decision along?

Any help would be appreciated!

Importing this vehicle has been the worst and most stressful part of this whole move and i wish we hadn't bothered!

Thanks for listening!

Nothing odd I'm afraid.
I know nothing of this specific process but this seems par for the course to me.
Most bureaucratic processes here can be slow, very slow. They will do it, eventually, in their own time, assuming they haven't lost the documents.
Another frustrating aspect is that there could be a mistake in the submitted documentation or something missing and they won't tell you. (Applies to many processes.)
Personally I would go to the office to chase up, give them dates and times etc.

i agree Redmik.

chase chase chase all the time.... they wont tell you  - and you could be liable to fines if you dont do so. they wont tell you that either until after you ve incurred them - if you are lucky.

Applies to registering for Tax and filing returns also. They don't tell you.

newbie2014 wrote:

Hi

We moved here 6 weeks ago and on 12 August we submitted all the paperwork to try and get exemption from paying the import tax on the motorbike we bought with us from the U.K..

I'm aware that whoever decides these applications has 30 days to reply but is it odd that we have heard nothing yet?

When i handed the forms in for my husband i was told the bike could not be ridden until a temporary registration document had been issued,  they said this would take a week and nothing has been sent out.

The bike is insured locally but is sitting in the road while i have to drive my husband everywhere in the car and it seems so unfair!

I'm not even sure who i should be chasing to hurry the exemption decision along?

Any help would be appreciated!

Importing this vehicle has been the worst and most stressful part of this whole move and i wish we hadn't bothered!

Thanks for listening!

When you applied for the exemption you should have received a receipt this allows you to drive the vehicle until your exemption is either accepted or refused. The application can take over three months, ours did and was only expedited when a traffic warden stopped us and asked why we were on foreign plates. After we showed him our receipt for the application for exemption he phoned TM and we received our  exemption letter two days later.

Terry

That's another point, never trust what you are told by a person in the office. Check it out!
I keep saying, as I have found this to be true, that ask a question of people in 'official' offices and the number of different answers you get will directly correlate to the number of people in that office.

Thanks very much for all your replies! I've had some success today in as much as i have the name and direct number of the officer who will be looking at my application so i at least have a place to start!