Netball has started in Stavanger - we just need some opposition!

Hi,

I used to live in Bergen and am friends with Fi, who had been trying to set up netball in Bergen last year. the process has come a bit futher in Stavanger and we are a group of 40 (15+ training) who have started an official netball club in stavanger and are working on getting netball recognised as an official sport in the Norwegian sports federation, as well as Norway as an associate member of the international netball federation.

If there is someone in Bergen who would be interested in trying to start netball there, then I am happy to help out with getting it off the ground! I struggled when I first tried in Bergen, but I think I have found the possible recipe to success here in Stavanger.

We started by creating a group on Facebook and then meeting every Tuesday for a drink. After a while, we had enough people interested to start up. we started in summer, so we used an outdoor basketball court at a school to start with - marking a court with chalk. We then bought in some bibs (really helpful to get newbies to understand) and balls, by collecting a measly 100kr each from those who were interested.

I have a contact in the sports department at Bergen Kommune, so might be able to help you get an indoor place faster.

Send me a messsage here if there is someone happy to take responsibility for getting it started.

Stavanger NK would also be really happy to host a group of 7-10 people who want to come down for a weekend for a social mini tournament!

Cheers

Kirsten

Hi Kirsten,
I recently joined the site and came across your post regarding norwegian lessons and the netball club. Thanks for both tips 😄
How does one join the netball club?

Regards
Tracy

Hi Tracy!

Are you in Stavanger?

To join is easy - just show up to one of our events. During July, we are going to try and organise some Tuesday night drinks to get to know each other better - a lot of people are away on holidays, so training numbers are a bit low.

Then from August, we´ll be back training. We train on Tuesdays at 7pm, at St Svithuns skole (Vikedalsgata 11). It´s quite close to town (walking distance).

We have a tournament in Stockholm on the 6th of September, and still need players - so you´re also welcome to join for that.

The easiest to stay informed is to join our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/stavangernetball/

Hope to meet you soon!

Kirsten

Hi Tracy (again),

If you are in Bergen, they are having their first training tonight - if you join the Norway Netball group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1448961315355111/) then you can contact Michele Steinsland there who is organising things in Bergen.

A few of the ladies there are also joining for Stockholm :)

Kirsten

Hi Kirsten!
Thanks for the updates. I live in Stavanger and will be back from holiday 01.08. Looking forward to joining the training sessions - I haven't played netball since I was 12yrs old - a very long time ago 😊
Enjoy the rest of the summer!

Tracy

Netball training on Tuesday 09.09 - Stavanger
19h00
St. Svithun Skole, Vikedalsgata 11, Storhaug
See facebook for more details

Come and join us!!!

Is the netball club in Bergen still on?
I've played netball since the age of 8 and now when I moved to Norway I can't play anymore but so dearly wish to start playing again.

I'd also LOVE to play!! Have played netball all my life, and up to 4 times a week back in Sydney and was SO devastated when I had to give it up  :sosad:

I live in Bergen FYI.