American seeking teaching positions in Lyon - urgent

Hello everyone,
Im an American living in Lyon for nearly two years and due to sudden and unforeseen circumstances (French administrative red tape- the University where I work can no longer sponsor visas for Non EU citizens) I can only continue working for my current employer teaching English at a private university if I can find a primary employer willing to sponsor a visa. I could also be interested in working for a new institution in general.

It is my hope to remain in a University setting as a lectrice or an instructor, but I am open to other possibilities. I have a BA in French and Psychology and have 4 years of studies at the doctoral level in Education(in progress), 3 years of teaching at the University level, as well as various experiences in primary and secondary education both abroad and in the United States.
If you know of anything that could be a good fit, I would love to hear from you as I really am hoping to continue working in Lyon

Thank you in advance!
-Shannon Hutcheson

Hi Shannon,
I don't know if you're still seeking for job, but just in case, I'm looking for an english teacher for my kids (9 and 12). They have been studying 3 years in an australian school in China, and I'd like them to keep their level (we are living 15min from Lyon).
Please let me know if you are interested or if you know someone (native speaker) who can be interested.
Thanks in advance.
Sonia

Shannon,

I am confused, if you have already worked in Lyon legally for 2 years, even if they can no longer sponsor you, you should have the right to work in France. The rule for Americans, or so I thought, was the first year it is forbidden for you to work if you are just coming to live unless sponsored, but then once on french soil for one year, then you can obtain a work permit. Again, I could be totally wrong, but check into it. Best of luck.

Hello and thanks for your reply!

Ah, yes the administrative rules and exceptions always make things a bit unclear, but
as an American you only have the right to remain and work in France if you have someone sponsoring a work visa (there are a few exceptions like if you prove you have the funds be self sufficient in France and not work). As soon as you don't have sponsorship, you also lose the right to remain in the country whether you've worked for 1,2, 3 years and so on. Without a work or student visa americans are only authorized to stay in the Schengen zone for 3 months. The other exception is if you did a master's in France you have a year to find a contract and if you've been working consistently for 5 years you can then apply for citizenship.

So generally speaking, you still have the right to work in France after two years, BUT only under the condition that you have a sponsor which was my issue at the time.

Luckily I found a position as a Lectrice at  an Engineering school willing to do the paperwork for  me so I'm still happily living in Lyon :).

Thanks again!

Congrats and I hope it works out well. You are one of the lucky ones lol!